I Can't Start Games

earth

Still Fresh
I just got my gp2x, but unfortunately I can't start games. I tried some of the games that came along with the gp2x, but for example when I run runme.gpe (which starts LinesX.gpe), the screen just goes black (I switched off after a couple of minutes, I guess it shouldn't take too long to start it).
I upgraded the firmware to 1.0.1 and installed SDL from
http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,31,869
But still no luck :( (I don't know if SDL is really installed, when I started the install the screen went black for about 6 seconds and then the menu came up again. I guess that's ok).
Any ideas? I didn't find other forum entries with the same problem.
Or maybe I'm doing something wrong? (maybe I have to put the files in a special location or something, but i think LinesX.gpe should start from any location?).

Thanks for any help.

edit: link to firmware instead of SDL

well, i'm not sure, but it sounds like SDL wasn't installed properly. You need to get the SDL libraries from HERE. Extract the files and put them in the ROOT directory of your SD card and then run them through the utilities menu.

Hope this helps,
-ben

for homebrew games you need the SDL lib's installed. try one of the emus next as they work with much less effort

Thanks for the replies, it's working now! :)
The problem was:
I tested some games which didn't work. THEN I installed SDL, and tried LinesX from the CD again, which still didn't work!
Now I tried the new version from archive.gp2x.de (didn't notice that those were two different versions), which does work. (and all other games also work)

I am a noobie and I had the same problem. I did what you did and got a few games to work. I am still having problems starting some of the games I have downloaded from this sites download page.

Example: Rockdodger

I downloaded the files, unzipped to my SD card, then tried to run the game. the screen went black and I had to turn off and restart the system. I then installed the SDL files and tried again.

Now when I try to start the game the system immediately goes to the menu screen. It no longer "blacks out", yet still does not run.

I have tried this with several of the freeware games. 1 or 2 of them work with the SDL files installed, but most of them just shoot me back to the menu screen.

:blink: Am I missing important files? Do I need to install an interpretor or some other type of emulator? Could it be a faulty SD card? I am a noobie with no coding experience, but understand how to do things if given instruction.

Please help me with my dilema.
Thanks,

mantyzeke

:( BTW; I have been reading this forum for 2 weeks and always read about "installing to the root file" of the SD card. What is the root file? When I formatted my SD card there is no root file. It is just blank. Do I just put a file on the card and name it the root file or am I not formatting my card correctly?

Thanks again for your assistance :)

mantyzeke posted on Dec 7 2005 at 06:17 AM said:
:( BTW; I have been reading this forum for 2 weeks and always read about "installing to the root file" of the SD card. What is the root file? When I formatted my SD card there is no root file. It is just blank. Do I just put a file on the card and name it the root file or am I not formatting my card correctly?

I don't think it is the 'root file', but probably 'root directory' or just 'root', means THAT blank position is where exactly it says :)

Many games are supposed to unzipped to 'root' at the moment (you can change it easily, though)

EDIT: and also, some homebrews need 'python / pygame liblary', which is also supposed to be on 'root'

Last edited by a moderator:
mittens posted on Dec 7 2005 at 01:54 AM said:
:( BTW; I have been reading this forum for 2 weeks and always read about "installing to the root file" of the SD card. What is the root file? When I formatted my SD card there is no root file.  It is just blank.  Do I just put a file on the card and name it the root file or am I not formatting my card correctly?

I don't think it is the 'root file', but probably 'root directory' or just 'root', means THAT blank position is where exactly it says :)

Many games are supposed to unzipped to 'root' at the moment (you can change it easily, though)

EDIT: and also, some homebrews need 'python / pygame liblary', which is also supposed to be on 'root'

mittens posted on Dec 7 2005 at 01:54 AM said:
:( BTW; I have been reading this forum for 2 weeks and always read about "installing to the root file" of the SD card. What is the root file? When I formatted my SD card there is no root file.  It is just blank.  Do I just put a file on the card and name it the root file or am I not formatting my card correctly?

Mittens,
Thank you for your reply. Where can I get the Pygame library which will work on the GPX2?

mantyzeke

I'm having trouble getting any game to start. I put SD lib at the root directory and installed it. I also put the Pygame files in their directory at the root (as described at the download site). But games like PyTetris still won't run. Do these need to be at the root as well? Do the game files need to be in the root, or can I put them in a Games folder in the root?

Thanks in advance!

Make sure you put the folder labled "python" at the root, not the beta_python directory. try again. The games need to be in their folders.

greenmikey posted on Dec 7 2005 at 01:49 PM said:
Make sure you put the folder labled "python" at the root, not the beta_python directory. try again. The games need to be in their folders.

I want to thank those who have helped with my situation. I have gotten most of my downloaded games to run correctly.

Also, do GP32 games work on the GPX2? I see some that look pretty neat.

Thanks, again

mantyzeke

mantyzeke posted on Dec 9 2005 at 09:38 AM said:
Also, do GP32 games work on the GPX2? I see some that look pretty neat.

Thanks, again

mantyzeke

No, unfortunately. That would be pretty sweet, though.

Back