Reflashed My Firmware Today...

zektor

Well, I installed a few skins and wanted to get back to the basics quickly, so I decided to re-flash the GP2X with the V2 firmware. Not only that, but my GP2X seemed to "jump" every once in a while with the display, and figured maybe this would help.

Well, to make a long story short, it did! I no longer experience that jumpy problem after reflashing. I am guessing it was something installed to the NAND originally. Perhaps one of those game demos that came with it.

Here's an oddity however. I DIDN'T install the SDL libraries, and my games that require SDL still work. SDLTest works too. The previous SDL libs I installed were definitely wiped out when I reflashed, which leads me to believe that the libs are not necessary to install anymore...and perhaps the firmware simply includes them now. Any comment on this?

Well, I installed a few skins and wanted to get back to the basics quickly, so I decided to re-flash the GP2X with the V2 firmware. Not only that, but my GP2X seemed to "jump" every once in a while with the display, and figured maybe this would help.

Well, to make a long story short, it did! I no longer experience that jumpy problem after reflashing. I am guessing it was something installed to the NAND originally. Perhaps one of those game demos that came with it.

Here's an oddity however. I DIDN'T install the SDL libraries, and my games that require SDL still work. SDLTest works too. The previous SDL libs I installed were definitely wiped out when I reflashed, which leads me to believe that the libs are not necessary to install anymore...and perhaps the firmware simply includes them now. Any comment on this?

The new FW has the SDL libs included like you thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
As he ^^ says, the instructions that came out with firmware 2.0 state that the correct SD libs are installed :).

I hope I can soon buy a MK2 with v2.0 pre-installed :).

Bah, in this case MANY faqs out there need to be updated. Maybe my earlier problem was because I installed SDL libs on TOP of the included libs.

On the bright side, its very cool that you can reflash like this. Some devices will not allow you to reflash...only to flash to a greater version. Good job GPH!

well but they wouldn't have any reason to restrict reflashing with whatever firmware one likes... on the other hand they wouldn't have any reason to not release the source code of the media player ^^... ah you just gotta love the randomness of gph...

Back