I Broke .xinitrc, Now It Loops On The Login Screen

Spirit

I had the great idea to install openbox and the not so good idea to put it as default session in the .xinitrc
Now if I enter my username and password the screen goes blank for a moment and then I am back at the login screen.

Any ideas how I can easily fix this?

Also, how can I access the other TTY? ctrl-alt-(fn-number) does not work.

Hmm, unless you have a serial connection, is seems the best you can do for now is to reflash...
I want to create a bootable tool where you can restore files to the default ones or backup / restore your home directory, but I didn't have time to do that yet :/

Could I connect the Pandora to my Linux PC and somehow mount the NAND?
Or put some OS on my SD card to boot and then access it?

Reflashing would not be a big deal but I am curious about the other options in any case. edit: I am reflashing now. :)

Spirit said:

Reflashing would not be a big deal but I am curious about the other options in any case. edit: I am reflashing now. :)

Oh, right, over g_ether (mini-USB) you could login via SSH :)

Last edited:
boot from a simple Linux image on SD then edit the .xinitrc file?, gah! this is killing me, all these LOVELY problems and I don't have my Pandora yet, I feel like Donkey on the selection screen on the Shrek dvd!

I know!...I know! Pick me! Me!, I know, me!, me!, Pick me! <crash>

sooo frustrating, by the time I get my Pandora all the low hanging fruit and obvious bugs will be fixed ... AAAAARGH!

Spirit said:

In any case, you can put the OS on your SD card. First post: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/54290-up-to-date-firmware-tarball/

Last edited by a moderator:
For anyone else willing to install openbox: You must also install openbox-clearlooks or it will fail. Then run openbox-session. ;)

Kinda, I am not sure if it is worth it though. RAM usage is pretty much the same once I run the panel (xfce4-panel as no other is available). The menu is borked though, links to the wrong binaries (eg xfce4-terminal instead of Terminal.

Back