I Am Really Confused.... About Caanoo.. To Buy It Or Not

Which is the best

• Total voters

lucasmun09

Still Fresh
I decided that I am into emulation games now days. I tried the mame32 for pc and it would not run. Well, majority of the games woudldn't. I checked for the bios and other stuff but it would just not work (Metal Slug 4). So told myself "It would be really nice to play these games with out hassle in handheld device. So when I checked over, I came across Wiz, Caanoo, and dingoo majority of the time.
I am mostly interested on Additional Controller and MAME emulation. What do you guys recommend? I know some emulations are better in dingoo and ynilips is pretty good but on terrible battery life. What should i do? (please dont say to buy pandora. It is going to going to be on the market for like U.S. $700

Emulation on an open handheld is also not "with out hassle". I can only speak for Caanoo, but mame requires a specific version of the roms. And of course you will still need bios for certain games (eg NeoGeo).

If all you are looking for is emulation I would say stick with your PC. But if you are looking for a handheld both Wiz and Caanoo are solid choices. I have never used a Dingoo but I believe they are less powerful than the GP consoles so emulation might not be as fast.

Good luck :)

my vote is of course biased by the caanoo as I own one.
It is not a friendly machine like pineapplespoon explained.
It is a solid hardware and quite a good one.

Emulations requires a lot of knowledge on the user and is not a casual thing.
My reason to have a caanoo is not emu but to be able to code to a hardcore open machine...
...and that I can only say it has all my love!:)

Kavb said:
Emulation on an open handheld is also not "with out hassle". I can only speak for Caanoo, but mame requires a specific version of the roms. And of course you will still need bios for certain games (eg NeoGeo).

If all you are looking for is emulation I would say stick with your PC. But if you are looking for a handheld both Wiz and Caanoo are solid choices. I have never used a Dingoo but I believe they are less powerful than the GP consoles so emulation might not be as fast.

Good luck :)
What do you mean specific roms? I know basic things about MAME. Do i have to convert MAME files into files that Caanoo will recognize? When I said hassle, i mean that i can just play games on caanoo fresh out of the box by putting roms in my computer?

Last edited by a moderator:
erico said:
my vote is of course biased by the caanoo as I own one.
It is not a friendly machine like pineapplespoon explained.
It is a solid hardware and quite a good one.

Emulations requires a lot of knowledge on the user and is not a casual thing.
My reason to have a caanoo is not emu but to be able to code to a hardcore open machine...
...and that I can only say it has all my love! :)
You said it is a hardcore handheld. I do know how to program a bit of Linux too. Do you mean i have to type stuff in terminal/command box and type and program additonal stuff? Caanoo seems kinda easy to manipulate. Also, is the SDK still available? If so can you post a link? I am internested in developing a game.

Also i found this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SONY-ERICSSON-R800X-XPERIA-PLAY-VERIZON-PLAYSTATION-GAMING-CELL-PHONE-/170834075906?pt=Cell_Phones&hash=item27c6812102
Should i buy this instead? I dont need the phone, i just want the emulation and stuff. Should i buy it?

pineapplespoon said:
Also i found this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SONY-ERICSSON-R800X-XPERIA-PLAY-VERIZON-PLAYSTATION-GAMING-CELL-PHONE-/170834075906?pt=Cell_Phones&hash=item27c6812102
Should i buy this instead? I dont need the phone, i just want the emulation and stuff. Should i buy it?

I think you should buy it. It's pretty cheap here. I have both XPlay and Caanoo. XPlay is certainly more powerful for emulation, though I really like my caanoo.

pineapplespoon said:
You said it is a hardcore handheld. I do know how to program a bit of Linux too. Do you mean i have to type stuff in terminal/command box and type and program additonal stuff? Caanoo seems kinda easy to manipulate. Also, is the SDK still available? If so can you post a link? I am internested in developing a game.

First sorry I got the name wrong up there, I meant I share the opinion of Kavb.

With the caanoo, you donwload an emulator, read a bit of its instructions for if you need a bios or this kind of thing, put the rom where it has to be and hit go.
From this point, your experience will depend on the emulator itself and you ability to tweek it.

For example, it took me quite a while to get wipeout going nice on the psp emu.
As for mame, you have to use an old set of roms from an older version of mame, they might be quite hard to find, check around the forum on mame subjects and you get an idea.

edit: I have to clarify that a lot of the emus works flawlessly and those that are being supported now a days are really going great!

I´m not sure about its original sdk, I guess you can check the repo on this here:
http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/caanoo.cgi

Take a look at the development tab.
As for me, I use GLBasic to create for the caanoo and a bunch of other platforms, as it can compile to a lot of stuff.
www.glbasic.com

My first debut game should be out in a month I hope.

Hope this helps, I have a caanoo for about 6 months and am quite happy with it.
I also use grafx on it to draw and it is great. I have milkytracker there too for quick music creation.
It is quite a creative handheld if you also plan to use it for other things.

This is a hard decision to make nowadays. I bought my Caanoo back in october 2010 and though it's broken now, I've never regretted it. If your main interest is emulation, I think the best handhelds at the moment are the Yinlips YDGP 16 and the JXD S601. They are reasonably priced and the Commodore emulators are working better, than its Caanoo counterpart.

Akabei said:
This is a hard decision to make nowadays. I bought my Caanoo back in october 2010 and though it's broken now, I've never regretted it. If your main interest is emulation, I think the best handhelds at the moment are the Yinlips YDGP 16 and the JXD S601. They are reasonably priced and the Commodore emulators are working better, than its Caanoo counterpart.
You see, when I lived in Korea, we did not have cammandor64 or any Japanese Gaming systems becuase U.S as a protectorit told boycott of the Japanese gameing. So I was just stuck with MAME games and Metal slugs. So probably, that is not probably my best choice. I just want a easy, emulator system that just works well with out hassle.

That is really funky, I take commodore was a Canadian company, so no commodores in Korea? Not even Amigas?
That is soo weird as one time I opened up my Amiga and realized 99% of the components were made in Korea.

But I´m not doubting, I have seen worse ´market/boycots' going around.

The thing is, if you need it mostly to play MAME, you may wanna look around the forum for MAME experiences on specific games.
Compared to the mame for desktops, a "handheld" MAME is way behind and many may not work or be playable, I believe that happens with all open-mame ports to handhelds an phones, I may be wrong though...

I´m glad Rygar works perfectly on my caanoo! :)

erico said:
That is really funky, I take commodore was a Canadian company, so no commodores in Korea? Not even Amigas?
That is soo weird as one time I opened up my Amiga and realized 99% of the components were made in Korea.

But I´m not doubting, I have seen worse ´market/boycots' going around.

The thing is, if you need it mostly to play MAME, you may wanna look around the forum for MAME experiences on specific games.
Compared to the mame for desktops, a "handheld" MAME is way behind and many may not work or be playable, I believe that happens with all open-mame ports to handhelds an phones, I may be wrong though...

I´m glad Rygar works perfectly on my caanoo! :)
I am sorry, Commodore was American Made company died before way back in 1980, which Korea was still recovering from the Korean War 1950's. Also, many of koreans were too poor to buy them back then anyways. Think of Korea the Old China (where everything was cheap)
Oh well, Do you think Xperia Play does support the Mame? 1990-2000 was the most stable time in South Korea, so probably thats why i saw so mamy MAME games.

pineapplespoon said:
Oh well, Do you think Xperia Play does support the Mame? 1990-2000 was the most stable time in South Korea, so probably thats why i saw so mamy MAME games.

I´m not sure on that, I believe all phones and tablets are running some version of MAME FOR ALL. Maybe the latest ´normal´ MAME is too much for current gear?
I think I read somewhere that some handhelds or phones have slightly newer/a bit improved version of MAME for all.

I´m not really sure about xperia, but a little reserch should help figuring that out.

What games do you plan to play?

I have the Xperia Play and some opensource handhelds like Wiz, Caanoo and Pandora.

MAME4droid is based on MAME 0.37b5 and runs pretty well. MAME4droid Reloaded is based on MAME 0.139, but needs a high-end device. Older games run fine, but SFIII 3rd Strike for instance, is unplayable on Xperia Play (unless you want to see the game in slow motion). NEO.emu runs great, as the other emulators from Robert Broglia.

Caanoo has MAME4ALL, GnGeo and FBA. There is also an early port of a recent FBA version, but I'm afraid the Caanoo hardware is unable to run newer games at a reasonable speed. I prefer emulators like FBA and GnGeo on handheld devices, they are (usually) much faster than MAME.

I know, the Pandora is not an option for you. However, this is the ultimate portable arcade machine. It has a recent FBA port from the PC, which plays games like SFIII 3rd Strike pretty well. PanMAME is based on MAME 0.106 and works pretty well too. GnGeo runs most games at fullspeed without overclocking, here the list of tested games.

I would also say, it depends on the games you want to play.

If you want a device with good emulation for all consoles up to the super nintendo and some working playstation games take the caanoo. It works out of the box and is fast. You can watch movies (working very fine) and read pdfs on it too. Some games like Break Out are even realy coded for the Caanoo.

If you want to play high graphic games with most time less story (well fruit ninja looks nice but has not a good story), buy the phone. I think it can things like SNES emulation too.

Don't bother. Go for the JXD S601.
It's got better support and it's cheaper

Yoshi Dragon said:
I have the Xperia Play and some opensource handhelds like Wiz, Caanoo and Pandora.

MAME4droid is based on MAME 0.37b5 and runs pretty well. MAME4droid Reloaded is based on MAME 0.139, but needs a high-end device. Older games run fine, but SFIII 3rd Strike for instance, is unplayable on Xperia Play (unless you want to see the game in slow motion). NEO.emu runs great, as the other emulators from Robert Broglia.

Caanoo has MAME4ALL, GnGeo and FBA. There is also an early port of a recent FBA version, but I'm afraid the Caanoo hardware is unable to run newer games at a reasonable speed. I prefer emulators like FBA and GnGeo on handheld devices, they are (usually) much faster than MAME.

I know, the Pandora is not an option for you. However, this is the ultimate portable arcade machine. It has a recent FBA port from the PC, which plays games like SFIII 3rd Strike pretty well. PanMAME is based on MAME 0.106 and works pretty well too. GnGeo runs most games at fullspeed without overclocking, here the list of tested games.

I would also say, it depends on the games you want to play.
The games I want to play are like simple to Pac Man to Metal Slug. I know I can use the NeoGeo emulator but as for example, Can the Xperia Run better than Caanoo?

foleyjo said:
Don't bother. Go for the JXD S601.
It's got better support and it's cheaper
I am not going to buy any electronics from Chinese Company. Also, if I am willing to buy one, Why would i not just buy ynilips instead?

erico said:
pineapplespoon said:

I´m not sure on that, I believe all phones and tablets are running some version of MAME FOR ALL. Maybe the latest ´normal´ MAME is too much for current gear?
I think I read somewhere that some handhelds or phones have slightly newer/a bit improved version of MAME for all.

I´m not really sure about xperia, but a little reserch should help figuring that out.

What games do you plan to play?

Mainly Metal Slug :p

And Galaga. ect

pineapplespoon said:
Mainly Metal Slug :p
And Galaga. ect

I guess both runs nice on caanoo. I do have some problems with the likes of double dragon and so on mame.
But the newer mame version on the caanoo is doing an excellent job and it is better then before.

There are new handhelds poping out almost every month, mainly dingoo types.
The latest I heard is GCW zero, still in development though.

Back