Looking To Buy A Caanoo

A_Locomotive

Still Fresh
Hi, I just joined the forum. :) I'm looking into getting a Caanoo. Been thinking about getting a pocket emulator for a while now, I looked into hacking my PSP3000 but it seems a hell of a lot more complicated then I'd like to deal with and don't want to risk messing it , plus one of the things I really want emulation for, Neo Geo, I worry about the playability on the PSP based on experience with the SNK arcade classics for it which doesn't control to well for most of the fighters on it, though great for metal slug and everything else on it. I read about the Caanoo and heard it mentioned many times and after talking with someone who owns one on another forum decided to give it a go. So I'm looking around for where I can find one for the best price, hoping to get one in white just to have something different from my other handhelds. The only place that seems to come up is play asia, is there anywhere else I might find a better deal on one?

A_Locomotive said:
The only place that seems to come up is play asia, is there anywhere else I might find a better deal on one?
I've got mine from EvilDragons Shop and am very happy with it:
http://gp2x.de/shop/index.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Klumpen said:
A_Locomotive said:
The only place that seems to come up is play asia, is there anywhere else I might find a better deal on one?

I got mine from ED's shop too, I can highly recommend it.

There are also usually a few sellers on eBay, but I can't vouch for any of them personally.

fishybawb said:
Klumpen said:
A_Locomotive said:

I got mine from ED's shop too, I can highly recommend it.

There are also usually a few sellers on eBay, but I can't vouch for any of them personally.

Does that site have free shipping? Because $115 euros is more expensive then play asia and from experience with ordering from Europe before shipping is always expensive. I was just looking on there actually just now. This one caught my eye, Caanoo + all accesories. Its more money then I'm wanting to spend but it does come with a few things I wanted, the TV out cable, jelly case and some screen protectors and it looks like it would be cheaper over all to buy it all in one go then to get the cables and jelly case seperately. I don't know anything about the wifi dongle, I can't recall ever seening it mentioned in anything I've read yet. What use is it with the caanoo?

A_Locomotive said:
Does that site have free shipping? Because $115 euros is more expensive then play asia and from experience with ordering from Europe before shipping is always expensive. I was just looking on there actually just now. This one caught my eye, Caanoo + all accesories. Its more money then I'm wanting to spend but it does come with a few things I wanted, the TV out cable, jelly case and some screen protectors and it looks like it would be cheaper over all to buy it all in one go then to get the cables and jelly case seperately. I don't know anything about the wifi dongle, I can't recall ever seening it mentioned in anything I've read yet. What use is it with the caanoo?

I got my caanoo from ED too. Yeah his shop is more expensive than play-asia. But for what I have been told they have some issues getting the device thuss cannot ship to their customer, but yet refuse to cancel an order. Yet as this is second hand info I cannot tell if that's realy true" I just cautch someone complaining on IRC. But sure I would check their stock before ordering from them.
I know for sure ED have some caanoo in stock.

Now my reason to choose ED : he provide an _awesome_ customer service that play-asia wont match, ever.

(yet the play-asia price is way more appealing and you're free to choose your wallet)

I ordered mine from Ebay user camera-girl and it all went very well. Fast service, good communication, and it came packed very carefully. Feel secure and safe ordering from her. I definitely recommend her.

darklight1138 said:
I ordered mine from Ebay user camera-girl and it all went very well. Fast service, good communication, and it came packed very carefully. Feel secure and safe ordering from her. I definitely recommend her.
I buy the wifi dongle & tvout cable to her and recommend her too. My caanoo is from play-asia

Thanks for all the input everyone, trying to work up the nerve to hit buy it now. haha its a lot of money no matter how you slice it and no matter where I get it. :p

Just ordered one from this guy, its cheaper then the other ebay seller I was looking at, comes with everything the other one does minus the jellycase figure I'll order one separately, I read it really improves the feel of it when holding it. Anyone know where I might find a clear one, I'm only seeing black and gray.

A_Locomotive said:
Just ordered one from this guy, its cheaper then the other ebay seller I was looking at, comes with everything the other one does minus the jellycase figure I'll order one separately, I read it really improves the feel of it when holding it. Anyone know where I might find a clear one, I'm only seeing black and gray.
There is just this one available. At least, I've never heard of any other colour.

My Caanoo arrived from Korea an hour ago(haha that was quick), I'm extremely impressed with it so far. It feels extremely solid and has a good weight to it. The 4 gig SD card it came with came preloaded with a very nice selection of games, funny enough a good number of the ones I wanted to get for it anyway. Was a nice surprise, I was expecting it to be a blank card when I saw it listed among what I'd get. The game play is fantastic as well, just had a session with Metal Slug 2 and the controls feel perfect, much better then Metal Slug controls on my PSP(its amazing the difference a proper joystick makes). The only complaints I have with it are the shoulder buttons are a little hard to reach when playing and are a bit stiff and the joysticks rubber material isn't as grippy as expected but thats not too big a deal just have to periodically read adjust where my thumb is. One thing that I'm not sure about is something I noticed when playing Metal Slug 2, on the second level when killing large groups of mummies the Caanoo would emit a crackling noise from its speakers, not sure if this is something to be worried about or if its normal and the speakers are just not up to it, definitely going to try and figure it out though because I want to make sure there is no faults with it before the time passes when I can return/exchange it.

Bear in mind that some issues like this can come from the emulator or the rom version itself.
Check sound capabilities of your device with other stuff too.

Some metalslug roms running on my fast pc has problems too, sound and slow down.

Caanoo is great for neogeo games, I love it too, only problem is that D-pad or analog joys are not quite suitable for fighting games.
Being a fan of kof, specially 98, and being a heck a good player, I will never be satistied with pads or analog controls as it makes fast movements or running or high jumps too slow to perform. Good thing is that nothing stops you from plugin a proper joystick on the usb for that fix. :)

erico said:
Bear in mind that some issues like this can come from the emulator or the rom version itself.
Check sound capabilities of your device with other stuff too.

Some metalslug roms running on my fast pc has problems too, sound and slow down.

Caanoo is great for neogeo games, I love it too, only problem is that D-pad or analog joys are not quite suitable for fighting games.
Being a fan of kof, specially 98, and being a heck a good player, I will never be satistied with pads or analog controls as it makes fast movements or running or high jumps too slow to perform. Good thing is that nothing stops you from plugin a proper joystick on the usb for that fix. :)

I think your right in it being a rom/emulator issue, I tried a ton of the other games last night and couldn't find a single other game that elicited the crackling noise, it also makes the sound in MS2 when headphones are used so its not the speakers themselves at fault. Kind of tempted to run an audio sweep on it to see if I can recreate the noise and see if it happens at a certain frequency but at the same time don't know if that would be to hard on the small speakers.

I had no idea you could run a joystick through the caanoo as well. D: I NEED to try this, coupled with my TV out cables that would be amazing!

I had no idea you could run a joystick through the caanoo as well. D: I NEED to try this, coupled with my TV out cables that would be amazing!

Most Emulators support a USB-Pad, but unfortunately not every pad is supported. I use a 2Playstation2 to 1USB-Adapter like this.

I guess this video was recorded by some of the GPH guys.

Akabei said:

Most Emulators support a USB-Pad, but unfortunately not every pad is supported. I use a 2Playstation2 to 1USB-Adapter like this.

Very Cool! Might have to look into getting a game pad do do this, one of my friends loved SNK fighters as much as me and until I get a Neo Geo CD(fingers crossed some time this year!) itr would be awesome if him and I had a way to play.

Unrelated to this, I'm curious what the home brew scene is like for the Caanoo? I see there is a section for it in the forum, is there a list of completed games anywhere?

Your first look should be here. There are also some Ginge packs uploaded by BAFelton, which allows you to play some GP2X homebrew games, like the famous Cave Story. About half a year ago, there was the Riot Tag Team Coding Competition. Some very nice games were coded for it, like the winner Paper Wars, runner-up Adamant Armor Affection Adventure or Puzzletube.

Regarding homebrew i highly recommend:

Puszion,
Animatch,
Puzzletube,
Adamant Armor Affection Adventure,
Cave Story,
Sqrxz 1+2,
EEEEK! EEEEEK! HOOOOOOK!!!,
ZOMG - Zombies on my Grass,
Hexahop,
Pharaoh,
Warehouse Panic
and MrDrillux

Akabei said:

Wow, awesome! Did they use the normal MAME4All? Does MAME support 4-player? I should try to use the hub you posted. :)

Back