I Am On The Bleeding Edge Of Decisions

rsuryase said:
Nope Caanoo CANNOT emulate PS1 smoothly. iPod Touch CAN if someone makes an emulator for it.
I must be mistaken then; though I could have sworn there was a PS1 emulator for the Wiz, that could be ported to the Caanoo.

What about these?
psx4all: http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/wiz.cgi?0,0,0,0,71,171
pcsx4all: http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/wiz.cgi?0,0,0,0,71,478

Last edited by a moderator:
@Peter R Yeah, the recent wiz psx emulator looked to run quite well from videos I've seen of it. rsuryase is completely wrong and might be basing what he said over an earlier wiz emulator. Don't think it would take all that much to port over to caanoo.

@Shmargin My surprised reaction to ipod touch wasn't due it it not having good games but due to it being in a different class of device than you were asking about and the fact that you hadn't mentioned ipod in your original post. I prefer android devices myself but I do see that touch screen games can be fun if well done. Its more like ipod is the obvious mainstream choice and you shouldn't have even asked about the other systems if that's what you were really thinking about.

There is no real need to defend ipod or apple as they already have tons of fanboys that assume that anyone that uses one has to like it. They are fairly powerful and have tons of apps but I just don't like the way apple handles things or designs their operating systems. I can see a bit of what people see in their devices but I just personally don't like them.

Though if you do get a new ipod which has browsing and other computer type functions caanoo might be a good complement to it as a purely gaming device with buttons that won't cost too much. Its all down to personal preference of course and I can just give ideas or opinions of what I think.

From the sounds of things psx4all needs a lot of per-game configuration to maximize performance. Hopefully this is something that improves in later versions, along with any possible overall performance increases. I definitely wouldn't say things like "Caanoo can't emulate PS1"

Oops :blink: My mistake, luckily I put "smoothly" at the end. But I think it'll be up to the next gen of GPH product to handle PS1 100%.

Hey remember this thread? 68 replies! I wasn't even trying to start such a big discussion!

Anyways, I still haven't bought anything new handheld wise yet, and now that my previous gen ipod touch died on me, I am in dire need.

Caanoo still tricks me into wanting to buy it, especially since I saw OpenJazz.

But I'm currently waiting on the release of the Android based Archos 43. Has all of what I wanted from the new iPod, wifi, camera, etc. Plus it has HDMI out and MicroSD card support. Plus the review/dev units people have got, are reporting easy install of Google Marketplace. Plus half the price of iPod, and running Android 2.2 should mean some gameplay/emulator possibilities too.

Anyways, these arent shipping yet, originally heard mid October, ::Glares at calender:: but haven't been able to order yet. But I think it might have won me over, and if I do get one, I'll deliver whatever I think of its portable computing/emulator/gameplay abilities here.

rsuryase said:
I was thinking of getting Archos 101 IF it can connect to iPhone MyWi.

Yeah, according to the official site:

Tethering (Using your portable phone as a modem)

Want to be connected anywhere? Just plug your mobile phone equipped with 3.5 G & Bluetooth™ technology, simply pair it up to your ARCHOS 101 internet tablet via Bluetooth™ or even via USB cable. This will give you easy access to Internet directly on your device anytime and anywhere. There’s no need to pay an extra fee when you already have a data service plan***.

So, I dunno, might need a weird phone, or maybe iPhone would work, not sure. Someone here thats smarter than me can probably answer that.

The bigger ones, ie 70, 101, are nice, with great screens, but I'm all about portability. I need something that can fit in my pocket easy, so I'm waiting on that 43. Plus the cam is a nice feature on the 43.

How long does the battery life last on the Caanoo, and how is it recharged/replaced? Also, what kind of batteries does it use? Are there any decent emulators out, and if so, what sites are they on? And the biggie, can it run .SWF files? I just got enough spare cash to get a Caanoo, but I would like to know some good product specs before I make the purchase.

Please forgive me for my no doubt large amount of typos, but I am in a hurry.

Please reply!

Monkeymanmo said:
How long does the battery life last on the Caanoo, and how is it recharged/replaced? Also, what kind of batteries does it use? Are there any decent emulators out, and if so, what sites are they on? And the biggie, can it run .SWF files? I just got enough spare cash to get a Caanoo, but I would like to know some good product specs before I make the purchase.

Please forgive me for my no doubt large amount of typos, but I am in a hurry.

Please reply!

No idea on the battery life. It charges when plugged in. Yes there are emus for NES, SNES, Genesis, MAME, and others. They are here http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/caanoo.cgi . No, it cannot run SWF files. And all these questions could have been answered in the first page of this forum :)

Monkeymanmo said:
How long does the battery life last on the Caanoo, and how is it recharged/replaced? Also, what kind of batteries does it use?

Wikipedia informs me that the Caanoo contains an "Internal 1850mAh Lithium Polymer Battery (approx. 5/6 hours game/video playback)". It is recharged with a PC via an included cable (proprietary connector on one end and standard USB on the other).

AJack said:
Monkeymanmo said:
How long does the battery life last on the Caanoo, and how is it recharged/replaced? Also, what kind of batteries does it use?

Wikipedia informs me that the Caanoo contains an "Internal 1850mAh Lithium Polymer Battery (approx. 5/6 hours game/video playback)". It is recharged with a PC via an included cable (proprietary connector on one end and standard USB on the other).

Awesome! I really appreciate this information. I thought that I was going to need a Lithium or NIMH battery charger/ and or power cord. :D

Put my order in for an Archos 43. Hoping it will get here by the weekend, I'll let you guys know what I think.

Tetsuro said:
For me the Pandora would be a great platform if it would have a real business plan and a tuned down price. The first point is the most important. It's absurd to pay on the assurance that 'some day' you will get your product. They must risk and take financing to produce the products in advance to build a 'market'. IMO.
I like very much the specs and it has a good layout but the money they are asking is big for not having a serious business plan.

Yep, this is why I went for the Caanoo over the Pandora. I don't mind the price itself - it's actually quite reasonable if you view the machine as a pocket computer that's also a games console - but it's just not good enough to take £250 off your customers only to shrug your shoulders and say "yeah, you might get one in a couple of months, we're supposed to get a new batch in November, but maybe we won't, I dunno...". At the back of my mind is the very real possibility that they end up holding onto my money for a year or more before eventually giving up, filing for bankruptcy and having to refund their orders, and I'll be back where I started. Besides, even if I could have one for myself tomorrow, I'm not a coder - if no-one else has a Pandora, I might never see all this awesome stuff it can "potentially" do.

It's too bad, really. It's an awesome little device that does exactly what I wanted from a portable, and I love the fact that it's been made by a couple of regular guys, but right now I just can't throw away my money on something so uncertain.

Also I've heard the screen moves back when you push it with the stylus, unless the screen is fixed at 180 degrees. Sheesh. <_<

Popcorn Dave said:
Yep, this is why I went for the Caanoo over the Pandora. I don't mind the price itself - it's actually quite reasonable if you view the machine as a pocket computer that's also a games console - but it's just not good enough to take £250 off your customers only to shrug your shoulders and say "yeah, you might get one in a couple of months, we're supposed to get a new batch in November, but maybe we won't, I dunno...".

My reasoning was exactly the same. The Pandora had been on my radar long before I'd heard of the Caanoo, maybe even the Wiz, but the fact that every other thing I heard about it was 'next round of key mats going into production soon' or 'casing assembly for third batch should be done by February' made it seem like a shaky investment. I'm sure once everything is completely finished and all they have to do is churn out more the Pandora will be a fantastic product, but in the short term (and for a measly $150 bucks) the Caanoo seemed like a much better prospect.

AJack said:
[quote name='Popcorn Dave' date='02 November 2010 - 09:23 PM' timestamp='1288697007' post='924629']Yep, this is why I went for the Caanoo over the Pandora. I don't mind the price itself - it's actually quite reasonable if you view the machine as a pocket computer that's also a games console - but it's just not good enough to take £250 off your customers only to shrug your shoulders and say "yeah, you might get one in a couple of months, we're supposed to get a new batch in November, but maybe we won't, I dunno...".

My reasoning was exactly the same. The Pandora had been on my radar long before I'd heard of the Caanoo, maybe even the Wiz, but the fact that every other thing I heard about it was 'next round of key mats going into production soon' or 'casing assembly for third batch should be done by February' made it seem like a shaky investment. I'm sure once everything is completely finished and all they have to do is churn out more the Pandora will be a fantastic product, but in the short term (and for a measly $150 bucks) the Caanoo seemed like a much better prospect.
[/quote]

Same here.

I still want a Pandora for the added speed, resolution, keyboard and the large developer community... but those are all just "nice to have" features and I don't feel that they're worth the wait and the uncertainty (both of availability and reliability) and the large price premium. Besides, if I end up playing old DOS-era and 16bit games that run at 320x240 or lower, all the added speed and resolution in the world isn't going to make the games any better. If the Pandora shapes up into a solid and reliable product it will probably be in production for a very long time due to its flexibility. So maybe I'll get one some day... but for now the Caanoo seems like a more reliable purchase and its $200 cheaper.

... also, the non-locking touch screen seems like a major fail to me. The first time I read about that I was totally dumbfounded. That will be the Achilles heal of the product if it ever gets to the point of being mass produced and reviewed.

Back