Does The Caanoo Have Screen Problems Like The Wiz

rollingharoo

Still Fresh
Hey, proud Wiz owner here, just want to know if any Caanoo owners here have ever gotten screen burn/rot problems. I want to buy a Caanoo in the near future and I'd like to be able to play it while charging it at the same time, unlike the Wiz. From what I've heard, having the Wiz on while charging for a certain amount of time would cause a nasty case of screen burn. At the same time, I want a good handheld that would last me for a while, and with Wiz screen rot issues popping up here and there, I want to make sure the same thing isn't happening with the Caanoo as well. Your opinions on this issue are greatly appreciated!

The Caanoo does not have these issues. The reason being it has a normal LCD screen. It does however have an issue with about 5 pixels being covered along the top of the screen. There always has to be some little quirk. Otherwise it isn't a proper opensource console ;)

Regarding your Wiz. You should set the "screen off time" to something like 60 seconds. That way you are safe from burn-ins. Just last night i forgot my Wiz on while charging. Of course, that only works while in the menu itself, so be careful not to leave it charging while in a game.

/Uni

The Caanoo has a different screen because is TFT instead OLED like the Wiz. But the Wiz image quality and colours is awesome. You can play while the console is charging with both consoles, but if you usually leave the console 6/8 hours charging with the screen on, you can burn some colours. The recommendation is to turn off the console while is charging and you don't use.

did they never fix the 1600 missing pixels across the top then? even recently built machines have the same issue?

no, gibberish, they never fixed, but what does 1600 missing pixels mean?
If I flip my Caanoo in the right direction, I don´t miss anything and if I flip in the other direction I miss X + 1600?

Akabei said:
no, gibberish, they never fixed, but what does 1600 missing pixels mean?
If I flip my Caanoo in the right direction, I don´t miss anything and if I flip in the other direction I miss X + 1600?

i'm not sure what you mean...
the first 5 rows of 320 pixels (5x320 = 1600) are covered by the plastic surrounding the screen apparently.

Last edited by a moderator:
It isnt that noticeable, in fact you can see all the pixels depending on your viewing angle.

u9i is right, it wouldn't be an opensource handheld if there wasn't some built in quirk.

I think an open source console should be built better though, would give it better rep.

I tried to take apart my Caanoo to fix the bezel, but darned if I tried, I got all the screws out, but couldn't get the thing apart..

Have a look here:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/56493-caanoo-cover-problem-solved/

If there's a positive spin to this at least it gives modders something to do. :p

lnx64 said:
I think an open source console should be built better though, would give it better rep.

I tried to take apart my Caanoo to fix the bezel, but darned if I tried, I got all the screws out, but couldn't get the thing apart..

Personally I'd say the Caanoo is very well built; of all my opensource consoles it has the most 'quality' feel. Because it doesn't come apart easily doesn't necessarily mean a sign of not well built - they aren't designed for users to take apart.

On thread, the screen is perfectly ok (its not great like the Wiz when working). I'm pretty fussy and I rarely notice the bezel issue.

The covered pixels is only really issue for me when theres text at the very top of the screen. But I can always read it anyway so no big deal. Except that little problem I think the Caanoo build quality is very good

Back