Humble Indie Bundle

that windows game is open source at least, plus theyre not even calling it the humb;e "indie" bundle this time, its the Humble Frozenbyte Bundle"

OK, um, AWESOME! It's back already? Also, maybe we can get into porting the Windows game to the Pandora and then we send them the PND?

That Windows game isn't even a game, really. It was never completed, as I understand. So really you aren't getting 5 games, you're getting 3 games, a pre-order, and a Windows only prototype as a bonus. Think of it as 4 games.

I am questioning the different take on this, though. 1 and 2 were decidedly indie. If Frozenbyte indie? With small time companies actually surviving, does that word even still mean what it used to mean, or should we even care? I'll have to ponder this a while.

philosophy.png

If Frozenbyte indie? With small time companies actually surviving, does that word even still mean what it used to mean, or should we even care? I'll have to ponder this a while.

It doesn't say indie anywhere, it actually isn't called "...Indie..." - so: They agree with you (and actually me too) that Frozenbyte isn't actually indie.

It doesn't say indie anywhere, it actually isn't called "...Indie..." - so: They agree with you (and actually me too) that Frozenbyte isn't actually indie.
And that's part of the problem, I think. Humble "indie" bundle was started to give those developers who were actually struggling a chance to profit off their work and move on up. Some of them were saying things like "we made more in two weeks on the bundle than we did in 5 years of actual sales" which is great! With sudden influx of cash, you hope the developer will do something new.

But as far as I can tell, Frozenbyte is a small time developer with reasonable success. Do they actually need the sudden influx of cash that the bundle would provide? What if Notch put Minecraft on the bundle? There's a line somewhere, I just don't know where it is and which side of it Frozenbyte is on.

yea but world of goo also had a phenomenal success accross multiple platforms, yet wasnt that part of a previous bundle?

Last edited by a moderator:
and please people, dont be that asshole that buys the bundle for $0.01 as they have to pay more for paypal fees per transaction than that

yea but world of goo also had a phenomenal success accross multiple platforms, yet wasnt that part of a previous bundle?
Alongside 4 other developers. This is just one company reaping the benefits.

Upcoming game Jack Claw (includes source code)

hum, no big deal, but "Jack Claw is a prototype of a game Frozenbyte was developing but canceled before completion."

That said this bundle is less interesting than other, and it looks like it's just a single studio that try to get more money using the humble indie bundle model... at least that generate money for charity and eff that's a good thing... I personnally also bought it.

None of the games (save the one prototype) are open source, and the developer has no incentive to make them so.
Also the system requirements are pretty high too. Shadowgrounds is the one with lowest requirements and still it is way above Pandora could do. Most of them won't even work on average laptop with integrated video card. Bought all previous bundles because I wanted to play some games but with this one it would be pure donation since I don't have hardware to run it on. I guess my 2.5GHz dual core laptop with Intel 4500HD won't cut it :-(

Last edited by a moderator:
Back