Huh? (ZX Speccy Vega crowdfunding)

Meh.

This offers nothing new to me other than a strange controller.

Looks like emulation "the Vega uses a low cost micro-controller and a clever piece of software that combine to enable the Vega to run all of the games"

If it had upscaled output that would be a bonus but it reads like it's composite, pity as classic 8 &16-bit machines could do with some love to get them looking good on modern TV's.

Last edited by a moderator:
A D-Pad... on a Spectrum. Wrong. Just wrong!

At the projected price, this must be aimed at nostalgics and collectors rather than the novelty seeker, but anyone who used an original Spectrum would have played with the keys for controls, maybe a robust Kempston stick for some action games - but D-Pads were a rarity, and often looked down on in their earliest incarnations.

Lots of games used more keys than this permits - and using keys let you configure your setup to physically match odd movements (like diagonals in most isometric games). Lots of people with Spectrums bought joysticks but went back to using the keys, it was the way to play!

I don't get it, nobody has done it right and made an actual functioning replica Spectrum (48k, rubber keys) with SD slot and USB/Atari controller port beneath.

And proper modern video output.

Can't believe this is funded already.

As a controller it looks as uncomfortable as it can get.

Yeah, that thing looks awful. I can see why they'd put a dpad on it but what I'd have done is made it similar to the Gravis Gamepad and allowed you to screw in a little arcade style stick which you could secure underside the unit like a stylus:

wAtVIqc.jpg

Someone really needs to go to town on a piece of old hardware.

My dream would be for someone to come up with a similar device to the hdmyboy but for older hardware like the Spectrum or C=64.

An FPGA virtually is the real hardware, that ZX Uno isn't emulating a Spectrum. An FPGA is a chip that you can alter the circuit of so you can reconfigure its circuits to the Speccy's circuits. But it also allows you to modify it slightly so if you wanted to run a Speccy through a HDMI port you'd need to modify the refresh rate or the timing would be out of whack.

Meh.

This offers nothing new to me other than a strange controller.

Looks like emulation "the Vega uses a low cost micro-controller and a clever piece of software that combine to enable the Vega to run all of the games"

If it had upscaled output that would be a bonus but it reads like it's composite, pity as classic 8 &16-bit machines could do with some love to get them looking good on modern TV's.
Seems the c64 got what you are looking for here:

http://www.sd2iec.co.uk/id9.html

An everdrive cart for the interface 2 would be fun.. although there are so few out there, maybe an all in one 'everdrive interface 2' with an SD card slot in place of the ill-fated Sinclair carts would be better. Although now I think of it, didn't it have a 16k limitation? Back to the drawing board.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back