Hu6280 Alpha V0.2

vobboomg

Certified Guru
Hu6280 ALPHA 0.2 - 10/05/06

http://www.vobbo.gptheatre.co.uk/

Coded a real frontend with rom select and options
added overclocking (266mhz for the win!)
Modified screen update to position screen correctly and clear dirty rectangles...
Added Streetfighter 2 banking code (it was removed in the initial port)
Added 6 button joypad support (it was removed in the initial port) - works fine with streetfighter2
updated sound code, partially enabled...
updated cdrom code, now partially enabled... (it was removed in the initial port)
updated zip code, not yet enabled... (it was removed in the initial port)
updated SuperGraphix emulation code, not yet enabled (it was removed in the initial port)
removed the need for font.tga file... and removed old fileselector code!

Please let me know if you find any roms that dont work, Once the emulator is 100% stable i`ll remove the SDL libraries and use minilib...

Now I have all the emulator code ported, I`m working on the screenblits / audio / cdrom !!

Have fun with Alpha 0.2 :) and remember to email me with rom reports... I`ve had 0 emails so far :(

Vobbo :ph34r:

Loubear posted on May 10 2006 at 01:23 AM said:
Oh...Wow...how long did this take you? You've been here 2 days, and already, all this. Great job!

I`ve had my GP2X for about 2 weeks now ;)

I`ve been busy hehe

Last edited by a moderator:
vobbo posted on May 10 2006 at 12:24 AM said:
Oh...Wow...how long did this take you? You've been here 2 days, and already, all this. Great job!

I`ve been busy hehe

Cool, do you think this will run well without overclocking eventually?

Great so far though.

DaveC posted on May 10 2006 at 01:55 AM said:
vobbo posted on May 10 2006 at 12:24 AM said:

I`ve been busy hehe

Cool, do you think this will run well without overclocking eventually?

Great so far though.

I`m aiming to get it at 60fps with sound/cdrom and supergraphix emulation! It should run at full speed soon and then i`ll start optimizing it further so we can run it at 166mhz or so :)

does the pcengine have diagonals on its controller or are they just not implemented in this emu?

vobbo posted on May 10 2006 at 12:57 AM said:
I`m aiming to get it at 60fps with sound/cdrom and supergraphix emulation! It should run at full speed soon and then i`ll start optimizing it further so we can run it at 166mhz or so :)

You would be the l337357 if you could pull that off. Good luck and fingers crossed :p

Ando posted on May 10 2006 at 01:06 AM said:
does the pcengine have diagonals on its controller or are they just not implemented in this emu?

Yes the PC-engine has diagonals. If this emu doesn't do them it is a bug (I haven't tried it due to high OC requirements) look in my sig for joystick "case" examples, use "case 2" for best control.

Sorry in advance if i misunderstood anything, but do we not have the PC-Engine emulator already?

dioxide posted on May 10 2006 at 01:42 AM said:
Sorry in advance if i misunderstood anything, but do we not have the PC-Engine emulator already?

We have two actually not including this one. None of them are all that great though. One has no sound and the other requires an insane amount of overclock to get to a playable speed, and even then it is pretty inconsistant. A good polished one would be great. After the full speed 133 MHz GPengine on the GP32 you get real spoiled.

Yes DaveC is right, the more Emu we got, the best those emu will be.
Every little improvement is welcome and this emu is far from just being little improvement. :)
Thanks Vobbo. You make my old PceGT so jealous (she doesn't speak to me anymore)

Btw the sound doesn't work anymore in release Alpha V0.2 on my Gp2X.
I tried every game I own. Switching On/Off, Overclocking or not.
Is it just me ?

EDIT : Every game I tested works at +/- 40fps @ 266Mhz.
So, no issues, no mail ;)

Some things that have problem :
We should have a no Overclocking option, because when I set my unit to 275Mhz for exemple, each time I run a game it goes to 200Mhz by default.
Sometimes, for some games, in the menu the "Start 'nameofthegame.pce' " doesn't show up, it's selectable but invisible.

Diagonals should be implemented but it will be a nice feature for some games if it's going to be an option.

Don't get me wrong, I really love GPEngine, but I think it isn't fullspeed, just 30fps@133Mhz. You can tweak it though in the options menu, but at 133Mhz it's not fullspeed.
This Alpha looks really promising, looking forward to see more!

QuasaR posted on May 10 2006 at 11:54 AM said:
Don't get me wrong, I really love GPEngine, but I think it isn't fullspeed, just 30fps@133Mhz. You can tweak it though in the options menu, but at 133Mhz it's not fullspeed.
This Alpha looks really promising, looking forward to see more!

I`m aiming to get this running at full 60fps without overclocking your gp2x, when I`ve ironed out the basic emulator and made it 100% stable, i`ll optimize into arm assembly.

I`m 100% sure I can get this to work at full speed on the gp2x, so there will be no need for frameskip options and such... It should just work like a real pc-engine when I`m finished!

vobbo posted on May 10 2006 at 06:03 PM said:
I`m aiming to get this running at full 60fps without overclocking your gp2x, when I`ve ironed out the basic emulator and made it 100% stable, i`ll optimize into arm assembly.

Ooohhh... Competition :)

:ph34r: ;)

Squidge posted on May 10 2006 at 09:15 PM said:
vobbo posted on May 10 2006 at 06:03 PM said:

Ooohhh... Competition :)

:ph34r: ;)
bring it on, DaveC is the ref

Absolutely nice, blowing the dust off my GP2X right now.
The PC-Engine is a great console and due to it's games actually perfect for beeing portable, like it is with the emulation on the GP2X :)

thanks a lot and good luck :)

Ok tried it with Bomberman 94, with a real PC engine handheld running next to it.

With All overclocking settings, does not match the real speed yet.
I seem to get no sound.
Colour, positioning, graphic size are all spot on.

Just tried it with R-Type, set it to 266mHz with sound on and as said before, it is not full speed and without sound.

But what's even worse: it has no diagonal detection. in R-Type, i just can go up, down, left and right. But no combinitions.
Remember that the GP2X can't combine Up+Left (and so on), because it has a 16-way stick.

Anyways, it looks more than promising. Keep up the good work. Thanks :)

Back