Hp Touchpad

WizardStan said:
Sadly I was on a boat when this broke, and on a bus until Monday night. Didn't find out about the great sale until Tuesday morning, and by then it was way too late. So if anyone gets a couple spare and wants to make a quick buck... :D
Ebay is currently flooded, going rate seems to be about $260. I'm not sure if I want to buy one now at this price while the flood is on, or if I want to wait until the hype dies down a bit and hope that people start dropping their price to unload.

I'm not sure the price is going to go down soon if a decent Android port is made available. Then this is going to be directly comparable with tablets that are $400+..

Last edited by a moderator:
Good point.
Auctions ending in 2 hours, I'll try to get in on one of those. I've got cash in my paypal account to spare, might as well.

edit: $305 for a 32GB. Not the best deal, but still a steal over the original price.

Managed to order one last night - 32gb version for $240 + $49 shipping to Ireland. From an eBay reseller with 100% positive feedback and have confirmation mail from seller, so here is hoping ...

I'm not experienced with Linux but am hoping Gingerbread or later wil be ported. That said, webOS looks decent enough, so if homegrown support for that expands I may keep the os.

I already have an original iPad, but am sometimes too afraid I'll drop it or leave it at meetings... For this price point, while nasty it would not be devastating if something bad happened to it at work .. I get nervous every time I bring my iPad to work for general or client meetings! Would much prefer to leave the iPad as an entertainment device and use cheaper touchpad as a work device.

Really hoping to get android along with some Bluetooth gamepad contollers working on this thing soon.... Of course, hoping my order is real too!

Good luck too all those waiting orders - hope they work out. Please keep us all informed on progress along with any news on changing the OS. Ill post back here if mine arrives with initial comments. Hopefully a linux / android community arises from the ashes!

Exophase keep an eye out on auction sites. Many available with $50 - $100 premium brand new compared to original firesale prices. Still a good deal IMO? Good luck with getting one.
Prices likely to increase with resellers especially if more news on android so be quick if you can!

sataniC Virus said:
Exophase keep an eye out on auction sites. Many available with $50 - $100 premium brand new compared to original firesale prices. Still a good deal IMO? Good luck with getting one.
Prices likely to increase with resellers especially if more news on android so be quick if you can!

Read the thread, already got one for $222.22 :)

trust me Exophase, if i could, Id gladly sell you one at cost i paid, unfortunately of the 7 i ordered, only one came through so far, getting 2 at most as of now. Barnes & Noble, insight.com, HP SMB all canceled my orders due to OOS. luckily MacMall came through for me with a 32gb which i really wanted, already got tracking number and should arrive tomorrow. the other one is from eXpansys usa, their site was completely unreachable during order, but after pounding my f5 key, i somehow managed to get an order in, but they somehow managed to charge me $640 for it, i got the paypal email, and the confirmation email from eXpansys, but the email doesnt at all mention what my order is actually for. today i got a refund from eXpansys for $480, matching the price of another 32gb, so ill see how that goes. me and kloplop321 are still stalking every website from irc that might sell them again. rumor has it HP SMB site should have some more in stock sometime

Glad you're at least getting one, at any rate. Fortunately I'm good now too, even if I did have to pay a lot more.

I got one two days ago (directly in a french store, the last one, I was lucky)
I'm very pleased by the unit so far. Webos is really nice and seems very hackable.
Now, we just need some kind of an android compatibility layer, and we'll have a nice OS with plenty of applications.

Crap... i was in paris two days ago but had no idea which stores would carry them. Damn german stores.

well my touchpad is here. Was kind of a hassle to power it on the first time. Cant say its really the right device for me, which was a reason why I didnt hunt one down until monday. A physical keyboard is the main missing feature for me. Its nice to have on the living room table for whenever anybody needs to browse for something quickly. I might have to try out ubuntu and android on it soon, see how that works out. Handles video very well, including 1080p, webOS is quite responsive as well, multitasking works very well. Bad stylus support is also a negative for me, especially for browser. All in all, still very happy for a 32gb at a $150 price tag; would never consider buying one at original msrp though.
also, it is true what people say, webos app store is rather lacking in apps, even some rather important ones, expecting this to skyrocket in next few weeks, mayne even days

The one I got off ebay arrived today. Works quite nicely. Been playing around with WebOS. Only one thing bothers me: it doesn't have a GPS, so how the heck does it know where I am so accurately?!?!

WizardStan said:
The one I got off ebay arrived today. Works quite nicely. Been playing around with WebOS. Only one thing bothers me: it doesn't have a GPS, so how the heck does it know where I am so accurately?!?!

It's done by looking at nearby wifi hotspots using Google's wifi location indexing. http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2010/04/how-google-collects-wifi-data.html

There's actually a disclaimer when you start up that lets you disable the tracking.

few tips, install preware, install govnah, install patch that disables limit to 64kb/sec download speed, install patch to add reboot TP/Luna on power button, google to find out how to disable most logging hp does on touchpad, it looks like hp logs EVERYTHING on touchpad, which slows things down a lot. i have all my logging set to only log errors. also be on the lookout on blog.palm.com they give out, i think once a month, a six pack worth of promo codes for free apps on app catalog, they only last few hours with current amount of new tp users so be quick

It looks like Hulu is blocking Touchpad. I'm going to try this at some point, or maybe someone can let me know if it works (can't try it yet):

http://opinionativereviewer.com/archives/2990

Exophase said:
It looks like Hulu is blocking Touchpad. I'm going to try this at some point, or maybe someone can let me know if it works (can't try it yet):

http://opinionativereviewer.com/archives/2990

Yeah, there's a fix for that apparently, as mentioned on that link. It is supposed to work as I have seen it on another site.

This thing is a lot cooler than I thought it would be. It makes me feel like an evil robot from the future. The user interface destroys iOS in my opinion, and the multitasking is actually multitasking which is pretty rad.

In fact I'd much rather stay with webOS rather than Android if a decent software development scene starts up.

(sent from my HP touchpad)

Goity said:
The user interface destroys iOS in my opinion, and the multitasking is actually multitasking which is pretty rad.

I have been very disappointed with iOS, and my experiences with it have been buggy. Safari crashes on me a lot. The interface is inefficient and the iPad is slower than my wife's 2.5 year old netbook. iOS multitasking is far less effective than I expected it to be.

The only time I used an Android tablet was a store demo, and it didn't impress me.

We need a serious challenger, something to up the game from its current state of buggy disarray. I read a lot of good things about WebOS before the fire sale. I hope the massive Touchpad sales were what WebOS needed to become more relevant.

My updated GP2X game B'lox! is available on TouchPad (scaled Pre/Pre2 version) you know ;)

DsCfK.png

GP2X/Wiz version

9isf7.png

webOS version

It's an absolute bargain too. You can get it HERE Don't forget I gave the community B'lox! and plenty of other GP2X/WIZ games for free.

The TouchPad is a nice machine. I've been using webOS for a long while now and have created several games and apps for the OS. None are TouchPad specific yet as I've only just got my machine.

iprice said:
My updated GP2X game B'lox! is available on TouchPad (scaled Pre/Pre2 version) you know ;)

your img links are asking for a password ... :)

Back