How will the Pyra be for low-latency audio? (for music games)

j0e

The Pandora can't run JACK with a buffer latency lower than like 2048 without underrunning like crazy, and a latency of anything higher than 256 is no good for responsive key pressing with sound. I would love to port BeatFreeX (link) to the Pyra in the future, but would the hardware be able to manage low-latency audio suitable for key sounds with minimal noticeable time between pressing a key and hearing the sound it makes?

Pandora can do low latency with some special low level code, bsp has some projects with that.
Can't tell much about Pyra, but I guess situation is going to be similar.

A latency of 256 means 256 samples at 44.1KHz? Because I'm really skeptical that you need < 6ms latency to play any game out there, I doubt there are many games that even poll the button state that quickly. I could see 2048 being too high though.

The Pandora can't run JACK with a buffer latency lower than like 2048 without underrunning like crazy, and a latency of anything higher than 256 is no good for responsive key pressing with sound. I would love to port BeatFreeX (link) to the Pyra in the future, but would the hardware be able to manage low-latency audio suitable for key sounds with minimal noticeable time between pressing a key and hearing the sound it makes?

I'm asuming you are talking about Jack Audio Conection Kit.
I use JACK2, QjackCtl on repo, not the one that comes by default, running with 512 buffer and running music programs without underruns.

But it's true that some programs could use a lot of CPU time, mainly very complex synths like ZynAddSubFX.

Anyway, using ALSA directly would be better if you want less than 10ms.

Back