How will the Pyra be for low-latency audio? (for music games)

j0e

The Pandora can't run JACK with a buffer latency lower than like 2048 without underrunning like crazy, and a latency of anything higher than 256 is no good for responsive key pressing with sound. I would love to port BeatFreeX (link) to the Pyra in the future, but would the hardware be able to manage low-latency audio suitable for key sounds with minimal noticeable time between pressing a key and hearing the sound it makes?

notaz

Certified Guru
Website
notaz.gp2x.de
Pandora can do low latency with some special low level code, bsp has some projects with that.
Can't tell much about Pyra, but I guess situation is going to be similar.

Exophase

Nothing good will ever come of Exophase.
A latency of 256 means 256 samples at 44.1KHz? Because I'm really skeptical that you need < 6ms latency to play any game out there, I doubt there are many games that even poll the button state that quickly. I could see 2048 being too high though.

canseco

Very Active Member
The Pandora can't run JACK with a buffer latency lower than like 2048 without underrunning like crazy, and a latency of anything higher than 256 is no good for responsive key pressing with sound. I would love to port BeatFreeX (link) to the Pyra in the future, but would the hardware be able to manage low-latency audio suitable for key sounds with minimal noticeable time between pressing a key and hearing the sound it makes?

I'm asuming you are talking about Jack Audio Conection Kit.
I use JACK2, QjackCtl on repo, not the one that comes by default, running with 512 buffer and running music programs without underruns.

But it's true that some programs could use a lot of CPU time, mainly very complex synths like ZynAddSubFX.

Anyway, using ALSA directly would be better if you want less than 10ms.