How will the battery be held in place?

Does the Pandora's battery design bother you?

• Yes, very much so.

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Yes, a little.

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • No.

Votes: 26 60.5%

• Total voters

My thought process is, correctly troubleshooting / defining the issue on the pandora is the first step in answering the question - "Will the issue be repeated on the Pyra".

i.e. If the issue was the size of the battery compartment, the question is answered, the tolerances for the Pyra battery are correct .
or If the issue was, in fact the design of the clips or battery cover, perhaps there is some change that hasn't been addressed.

Twiitcher

What, nobody suggested using chewing gum?

Seriously - two peanut sized globs of poster putty, rolled and mushed at the points where ED suggests padding works too.

I have never broken a battery compartment clip on either my CC or 1Ghz Pandora. My 1Ghz doesn't need any 'help' with my older battery, but I have a newer one that is slightly slimmer that does require a bit of a gap filler.

Although it is very interesting the size of the mountain that can be made from this simple mole hill.

What, nobody suggested using chewing gum?
Of course not.
duct-tape.jpg
The only time since adding paper around my Pandora's battery that it has lost the connection was the other day when I knocked it off a table. My RHS (stylus by Grench) also popped out a little, so I am not surprised it lost power.

I will not say the people that add paper under the battery cover are wrong, and that they don't need to do it. I am not them, and my Pandora and use may be different than their's. In addition to the foam I have the paper along one of the shorter edges because the battery was still moving with the foam in there. It is on the side that does not have the stylus slot. This seemed to work great with both my old battery and my new one (not sure when the wrap was changed).

Has the pyra slimmed down in dimension we are in 2016 now I think we should be looking towards a more Mordern slimmer looking Pandora.

Has the pyra slimmed down in dimension we are in 2016 now I think we should be looking towards a more Mordern slimmer looking Pandora.

Nope. In fact it's slated to be a few mm wider. At current product spec the entire interior volume is used. The only way to get thinner or lose weight would be to loose features - which isn't going to happen.

I would rather have something that does what I want and still fits in my pocket, and not bring a bunch of extra stuff that I would need to lug around in a purse. A slimmer lower part of the Pyra would probably be harder for me to hold and use.

Current trends be damned, I like the Pyra as it is designed.

Any smaller and one or more of the following would happen: the keyboard would be unusable, the battery would be too small, there would be no full size USB port, there would be no full size SD card slots, etc.

The size, as it stands, is ideal for me: portable yet usable.

I feel like it the Pandora could have been a little more comfortable to carry if it'd been a little thinner sandwich wise. Not that that would've been possible in either the Pandora or Pyra, just an unfortunate tradeoff I think.

The only issue I have with the Pandora is I assume the hinge and the bezel around the lid could have been thinner. On my Nintendo handhelds the lower screen rim leaves a mark on the upper screen, but on the Pandora I don't see any evidence of the keys hitting the screen. That's a good thing, but I think it could have been maybe half a millimeter thinner there without conflicting.

Hold your hands as if you were playing a clamshell. Thumbs very close to the rest of the fingers, no?

We are still in human evolutionary stage, along with finite battery storage-days, so I think we should be scrapping the idea of a thinner pandora.

I think we all can live with a little taller, however, I wonder if my arms wont get tired from holding a secondary daughterboard AND a bigger, thus heavier battery.... who knows, maybe I get used to it.

Those 9v connectors did (and still do) work very well!

I personally never had any problems with my Pandora battery though... Except that it's bulging a little bit, bending the lid of my case. I recently put very nice rubber feet under my Pandora (can recommend) so the unit hovers a little above the desk so the bulge doesn't matter much anymore. Also the unit now stands very firmly on any surface. Has anyone ever tried putting their Pandora on the bathroom sink? It will almost always slide off. With my rubber feet I can now even insert an SD card on the bathroom sink without even holding the pandora if I'd want to :)
Which is nice :D

If it works it works I'd say. And for me it worked obviously, so no... the Pandora battery design does not bother me :)

I personally had some problems with my battery > I had to "massage" it from time to time, so its surface evened out again and the battery lid would not bulge. I had this from the beginning and as ED was quickly coming up with that solution my guess is that there were at least some with the same problem. This led to some unwanted reboots due to commotion after the massage, which resolved itself sometime after, when the battery was tending towards it orginal shape thus holding itself in place due to pressing against the lid again. This led to a rather early loss of the clips holding the lid in place which I could only resolve by taping the lid to the rest of the case - which worked, but I was never really happy with this kind of solution.

That's why I am not happy with ED reusing the design and scrapping the idea of having a screw (additionally) to help keeping the lid in place.

edit: corrected some horrible grammer mistakes

Last edited:
I personally had some problems with my battery > I had to "massage" it from time to time, so its surface even out again and the battery lid would bulge. I had this from the beginning and as ED was quickly coming up with that solution my guess is that there were at least some with the same problem. This lead to some unwanted reboots due to commotion after the massage, which resolved itself sometime after, when the battery was tending towards it orginal shape thus holding itself in place due to pressing against the lid again. This lead to a rather early loss of the clips holding the lid in place which I could only resolve by taping the lid to the rest of the case - which worked, but I was never really happy with this kind of solution.

That's why I am not happy with ED reusing the design and scrapping the idea of having a screw (additionally) to help keeping the lid in place.

Wasn't the whole massaging thing a way to deal with an expanded battery? The only reason you likely even had to do that in the first place is because the firmware used to allow overcharging.

-God Ginrai

Wasn't the whole massaging thing a way to deal with an expanded battery? The only reason you likely even had to do that in the first place is because the firmware used to allow overcharging.
It was literally the first experience with a Pandora: I took the battery out of the case, put it into the Pandora, wanted to close the lid, but could not do so unless using force. The next step was removing the lid again and afterwards I wrote an E-Mail to ED, asking what to do now - so I don't know why it was in that condition when it arrived at my doorstep.

Back