How will MIDI files sound on the Pyra?

The written offer clause of the GPLv3 only applies to distribution on physical media without corresponding source. LGPLv2 has equivalent provisions in section 6 subsection d. Interestingly the GPLv2 itself isn't that explicit AFAICT, but describes access to binaries and source from the same place as the norm.

@JDTAY But I forgot an important part of the LGPL: it has an advertising clause that may prove somewhat annoying. See second paragraph of section 6. I've never heard of litigation due to missing notices, though.

only applies to distribution on physical media
You mean physical products, including physical media.

It makes things a lot more open to interpretation, one could argue that the whole PND "distribution" system is a part of the physical product, for example. Back to the IANAL part!

I've never heard of litigation due to missing notices, though.
As has been mentioned in one of the many legal discussions on the kernel mailing list, the nice part about enforcing laws is that intentions do matter. As long as you don't even modify the code, nobody will care if you just point to the origin of the original source code.

You mean physical products, including physical media.

It makes things a lot more open to interpretation, one could argue that the whole PND "distribution" system is a part of the physical product, for example.

Well, I don't agree (when reading all the subsections in context). But anyway, I don't understand this obsession with the written offer clause. Depending on jurisdiction a written offer requires specific form. Like being written on paper and signed. In almost all circumstances just including the source or having a separate source repository will be easier.

Back