Need Help Converting Sound Files To Sef Or Mod

deadlychicken22

Man is a reasoning rather than a reasonable animal
Website
Visit site
I just started learning how to use the VNS. After completing a very basic "game" I would like to test some music with it but I don't know what to use to convert sound files to the MOD or SEF files required. Is there a simple program out there (for windows) to do that? The file I want to convert is Midi but I would also like to convert other formats.

Thanks for your time

There is this gp32converter that can convert wave files into sef (and bmps into the gp32 palette, I think)
I don`t remeber the link or the thread it was mentioned, but I think it was somethink about vns. So try searching the board, you should be able to find it.

About the mod converting, you can`t. I recently read (didn`t know that before) that mods are something like midis, something completely diiferent from wave files. Those formats are not compatible. You have to make the mods by yourself (compose them).
Don`t know exactly.

Or search google for homemade/free .mod files, and use them for you novels.

K-teto posted on Feb 21 2005 at 01:05 AM said:
Well, actually you can convert a midi to mod with modplug tracker, but don't know how exactly.

Yep!, Thats the tool to use. Load the .mid file via the file menu, Once loaded, Go back to the file menu and select "save as". In the "save as" dialogue, Change the file format to .mod and click save, Job done.

Trooper

Last edited by a moderator:
You need samples for that, and Modlib Tracker only converts midis to .IT's, which can be converted to .MOD's but Modlib doesn't do it right. You have to convert it to .IT with modlib, give the instruments some samples assigned to them, and convert that by hand, by copying and pasting the stuff.

The problem is the .IT patterns can have 128 notes in them and 32 channels, while mod can only have 64 and 4 respectivly. So the midi cant have too many channels, or you can eliminate some by picking and choosing. And you have to split the IT patterns into two MOD patterns by copying and pasting parts of it.

Download Modlib tracker and you'll see what I mean, its not that hard though, its just less effort to get a already done MOD instead.

I use to have a small program which converted midi's to mod's in just one click but I can't remember what it is called - it is CMD line but you could just drag the file into the program for it to be converted.

Hanz™ posted on Feb 21 2005 at 07:21 PM said:
I use to have a small program which converted midi's to mod's in just one click but I can't remember what it is called - it is CMD line but you could just drag the file into the program for it to be converted.
Try:PTmid
or.
Midi2Mod

Midi2Mod is slightly simpler to use but probably does not work as well according to www.converters.tk

I tried that but I couldn't get it to work. I download the first one and it won't run on windows XP so I used VDMSound, a program I use for playing dos games (commander keen :D ) to run it. It loaded up fine but I couldn't type anything. Maybe I'm just being stupid...

deadlychicken22 posted on Feb 22 2005 at 01:20 AM said:
I tried that but I couldn't get it to work. I download the first one and it won't run on windows XP so I used VDMSound, a program I use for playing dos games (commander keen :D ) to run it. It loaded up fine but I couldn't type anything. Maybe I'm just being stupid...

Sorry, Which one`s have you tried ????.

Trooper

Well, I have SP2 (although I'm not sure that makes a difference). But when I tried it in Windows XP it says something like 'This is not a valid win32 program' and it gives me two options: close or ignore. However, both of them close it.

deadlychicken22 posted on Feb 22 2005 at 02:36 AM said:
Well, I have SP2 (although I'm not sure that makes a difference). But when I tried it in Windows XP it says something like 'This is not a valid win32 program' and it gives me two options: close or ignore. However, both of them close it.

Try this, Modplug tracker.

http://www.sonicspot.com/modplugtracker/modplugtracker.html

Download at the bottom of the page.

Trooper

Back