GP2X How Will Googe's Android Affect Gp2x's Successors?

I assume this is the correct article? Your link is wacky.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/02/27/...-android_1.html

Inside an Android
Peel away Android's carapace, dig down to its marrow, and you'll find a Linux kernel. Libraries are a layer above, a variety of frameworks above that, and a final layer of applications sits on the top. The library layer is home to code for entities such as media processors for playback and recording of audio and video, the core of the Web browser, font rendering, and the SQLite relational database engine. The Android runtime also lives in the library layer.

Above the libraries reside frameworks, which are sets of reusable services and common components available to applications. For example, one sort of framework is a content provider, which is any service that handles the storage and retrieval of data. The application interface into the SQLite engine is a specific instance of a content provider.

Applications run at the top of the OS stack. Android will ship (assuming that it eventually does ship) with a set of core applications, including an e-mail client, a calendar, a Web browser, and more. And, of course, it is toward this topmost layer that all of the faculties of the Android SDK are directed.

According to this there is no mention of ARM, or indeed of any hardware, should run on anything Linux can according to the blurb.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Pandora could work as a Wifi phone, perhaps more if a module could be designed to allow it to connect to a network (I am unsure if this would indeed be feasible, whether a carrier would connect you, etc.)

If the apps/Gui are any good it might be worth it to port/compile to the Pandora, but since it is kind of a "smartphone" thing and the pandora isn't a phone, doesn't make a ton of sense to me.

I don't think it is really aimed at video game machines. For GP2X-like devices, one may as well make a custom firmware (which isn't actually that difficult for something extremely minimal - i.e. just about booting - a few hours work at most) with as little as possible running as standard.

nubie said:
I assume this is the correct article? Your link is wacky.
Woops! Sorry about that. I don't know what happened to my link there.

nubie said:
According to this there is no mention of ARM, or indeed of any hardware, should run on anything Linux can according to the blurb.
You are correct. I was confused by the fact that Google's emulator specifily emulates an ARM processor:

Android's version of QEMU simulates an ARM processor, and on that processor executes the Linux OS.

But setup, I guess, doesn't need one.

But why would we care about Android? Because Google wants it to become a standard and have lots of programs written for it, and those programs will be written for a small, probably touch screens. Which Pandora will have, right? Wouldn't it be useful to have access to that kind of software?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back