How We Spending Last Day Of Gbax2007

Q

quasist

There is a hard work behind us, and stress are going to be insane. What we are doing in that last day.

For instace, I'm going to game developers' party where all get drunk and I will show closed-demonstration win32-version-port of my entry. As I said that all will be drunk - my project will surely rock the party:))

Not sure if I have your entry or not Daid, if you have problems PM me and I will give you the FTP address to upload.

I have just over 24 minutes remaining on my 3 hour game I am writing for fun, just need to add the credits screen and do some minor changes and bug testing.

Just gotta add pause to the hidden extras, and maybe compose more music for said extras, and then I'll be done!

At the minute I'm contemplating having several very strong drinks.

Guyfawkes said:
Heh Goity we were discussing if you were gonna enter something this year, its not a GBAX compo without an entry from you :)
Don't worry, I've tested the hell out of thise year's entry. I'll have to save the bricker till next year ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Guyfawkes said:
Not sure if I have your entry or not Daid, if you have problems PM me and I will give you the FTP address to upload.

The mail just bounched, like I kinda expected. I've put it on my webserver and send the link trough the email. Guess that will work better. (reason I didn't do that before was that I'm actualy wanting to fix the webserver, as it's HD died, and it's running from an 100mb zipdisk as last resort, as it servers some pretty important stuff for other people)

I kinda stresed out the last minute, as I managed to break my build enviroment just before I wanted to do the final compile.

I can't just wait to see what the others done for the biggest handheld coding competition on Earth!

Although I intended on starting my game last week, I accidentally got engrossed in writing a custom implementation of huffman compression so sorta forgotten about gbax. So I started on it yesterday. I have not slept since starting on it. Unfortunately < 3 hours remain and my todo list is still massive... I could probably produce *something* if I hard-coded everything, but there is no point in releasing something like that as it'd be a nightmare to finish. So it seems instead I'll probably just release my game after the compo sometime, it's not like I'd have a chance of winning, but it's still a shame that I'm going to miss out on this grand community event. I won't let this happen next year :p

PS: Whilst I was programming through the night, a terrible unexpected bug got me off-guard: It turns out the gp2x is sensitive to how you allign your data. I've written a custom 1 bit per pixel font format that stores data as streams in the form: <font height><glyph size(in bits)><glyph data><glyph size(in bits)><glyph data>... The font height and glyph size datas are stores as unint32_t, the glyph data is just an array of bytes. However I found that when my integers were straddling a boundry (I don't know *what* boundry, I didn't look into it that far) the result of dereferencing them in would be an increadibly large random number. I hacked around it with something like this:
#if SDL_BYTEORDER == SDL_BIG_ENDIAN
fontW=(*(glyph+3))|((*(glyph+2))<<8)|((*(glyph+1))<<16)|((*(glyph+0))<<24);
#else
fontW=(*(glyph))|((*(glyph+1))<<8)|((*(glyph+2))<<16)|((*(glyph+3))<<24);
#endif
but still very confusing and that issue eaten up a lot of valuable development time! I guess in the remaining 2:20 hours I'll probably finish my vector animation routines, swear at myself, then get some much-craved sleep.

clone said:
Although I intended on starting my game last week, I accidentally got engrossed in writing a custom implementation of huffman compression so sorta forgotten about gbax.

Is that huffman compression so cool? That bitch took two hours of my life!

clone said:
PS: Whilst I was programming through the night, a terrible unexpected bug got me off-guard: It turns out the gp2x is sensitive to how you allign your data. I've written a custom 1 bit per pixel font format that stores data
You do know that 32-bit numbers have to be aligned on a 4-byte boundary, and 16-bit numbers have to be aligned to even boundaries, right? If you didn't, I guess you do now :)

Back