How to install Android on your Pandora

Are you sure you are using the external wifi adapter? last I knew you had to rename/swap the device name of the external adapter to match the internal wifi for android to use it.. other wise it will just use the slower internal wifi.
How do you do that? I did not see that information in either of the threads.
From my quick search:

http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php/topic/9954-usb-wifi-in-gingerbread-pnd/#entry184540
Thanks. WIth multiple posts and about 50 pages of information, it is a little hard to find this unless you know what you are looking for. Would be really nice to get it collected into the wiki. I edited the udev information and rebooted. Made a significant difference in Netflix. It started a little pixelated, but then smoothed out. Audio was consistent and no buffering.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apologies for digging up an old thread (...again), however I'm hoping someone can help me.  Firstly I have read through this and several other threads (honest!) but I haven't been able to find an answer to my issue, hence me posting this :)

I finally have Android on my Pandora (which is working great), I followed Ed's instructions and I can access the Google Play Store fine, however my problem is there is virtually no content on it, very limited selection of games/apps (mostly old ones) and only "Top Free" games is visible?  Has anyone else experienced this?  Where can I find the decent/purchasable content?  Ideally I was looking to get Dead Trigger (like it is shown here:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/LKlmPZgabaU?feature=oembed) and a few other decent titles but they just cannot be found, can anyone point me in the right direction or advise what step I might have missed please? :)

Thanks ED for this tutorial its working fine here without any problems B) ............ :(  Well i cant get the gamekeyboard working.

When i want to map my buttons in the hardkey mappings its starts with remap (empty) button......when i go down the list and go to d-pad and click it it goes back to the hardkey mappings menu.

What im doing wrong?

5. Start Android from System/Android Gingerbread. It takes a while to boot.
How much is "a while"? I waited for hours on the first time and nothing appears after the green mascot logo.

Should I add the Google Play files before the first-run? How much space did you guys choose to the filesystem-inside-the-filesystem-file?

I don't want to try all possibilities, because takes much time to create the filesystem-inside-the-filesystem-file with 2GB (even on a class 16 card).

Where is the death trigger located on a pandora?

Super feedback, add it to the feedback system. Maybe Skin-nl can help, send him a pm, seems he recently installed.

How much space you need is based on what you need i suppose. Dont know how much of it is android files, but you wont run out with 8GB anytime soon.

I focused the patiente to try again... from the start. And...

Should I add the Google Play files before the first-run?
It seems that this was the cause of the problem. It's not cool to add the Google-Play files before the first-run. It'll break the installation and you'll need to "reinstall' (erase appdata).

But the Google-play file is STILL hanging the pandora. I need to remove the system folder if I want to use Android.

And "...takes much time to create the filesystem-inside-the-filesystem-file with 2GB" is looking like placebo to me. It didn't took that long this time. Maybe the time went slower the first time, because I was anxious to play with the recently acquired Pandora.

vinipsmaker, on 28 Oct 2013 - 02:32 AM, said: Should I add the Google Play files before the first-run?

It seems that this was the cause of the problem. It's not cool to add the Google-Play files before the first-run. It'll break the installation and you'll need to "reinstall' (erase appdata).

But the Google-play file is STILL hanging the pandora. I need to remove the system folder if I want to use Android.
I did some tests and tracked the whole problem.

I'll begin correcting a false information that I gave (not really, because I used the word 'seems'). The problem was *not* caused by putting the Gapps files before the first-run.

Now the problem: Don't use an ext partition in the Android SD card! If you use an filesystem with permissions support, you need to make sure that Android won't have trouble with the permissions set. There are two ways of guarantee this property, listed below:

• You won't touch the appdata folder manually... EVER!
  • You will manually set the correct permissions for ALL files you change in the appdata folder (specially the system folder).

Unfortunately, if you want to use gapps, the package is in zip-format and you don't know the correct permissions. My advice is: Use a FAT32 partition.

I already made a comment on the Pandora wiki to update the Android page: http://pandorawiki.org/Special:ArticleFeedbackv5/Android/050886dcf7ac4cdcc2fc10bf484f8da9

Nice, fixed it. I think its due to android having problems with ext in earlier android versions. There is a "fix permissions" tool in rom manager. It just says "fixes force close problems"  Ran it on my phone just now

My advice: dont run gapps ;)

Did android work on whatever version of ångström you are using, and if so, which version is that?

Edit: angry birds is one of the worst spyware/tracking apps. It uses your location and has horrible things in its eula. The company that owns it isnt a gaming company, its a data mining business.

Back