[TUTORIAL] How to remap Android Hardware keys

Hi! I don't have a second SD card at the moment. Is there any location where I can save in the same card?

Edit: I just edited it in the appdata using Xfce.

Ps: It works perfectly, thanks for the advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alternative guide using a slightly different method here.

Left shoulder for back works really well for me with Android, however it's easy to change the buttons for your individual requirement.
Hehe, I see... I just copied, with Root Browser, the gpio-keys.kl file to /system/app folder which is accessible in the /media/{yourSDcard}/pandora/appdata/android_gingerbread/system folder on Xfce and modified it with Gedit, then moved it back in Android with Root Browser. The problem would be so much switching back and forth, but I don't have a second SD card.

I just found the file /pandora/appdata/android_gingerbread/system/usr/keylayout/gpio-keys.kl was it there since the beginning? 

EDIT: No it wasn't, it was generated because of the change made in Android; in theory it could be achieved like this

Alternative guide using a slightly different method here.

Left shoulder for back works really well for me with Android, however it's easy to change the buttons for your individual requirement.
 Hehe, I see... I just copied, with Root Browser, the gpio-keys.kl file to /system/app folder which is accessible in the /media/{yourSDcard}/pandora/appdata/android_gingerbread/system folder on Xfce and modified it with Gedit, then moved it back in Android with Root Browser. The problem would be so much switching back and forth, but I don't have a second SD card.

I just found the file /pandora/appdata/android_gingerbread/system/usr/keylayout/gpio-keys.kl was it there since the beginning? 

EDIT: No it wasn't, it was generated because of the change made in Android; in theory it could be achieved like this
I'm sorry but I have no idea what you're talking about.

Is it possible to map any key eg. one of the shoulder buttons to simulate a touch on the screen.

So that when using the left nub to move the mouse cursor, you can press a button to tap the screen at the mouse position?

Or is this perheaps already implemented on some button I havent tried yet?

Is it possible to map any key eg. one of the shoulder buttons to simulate a touch on the screen.

So that when using the left nub to move the mouse cursor, you can press a button to tap the screen at the mouse position?

Or is this perheaps already implemented on some button I havent tried yet?
I believe you can, but I don't know off the top of my head how. I'll do some googling and get back to you

Just got this email

Glad to see the thread lives on :)

tmp_Screenshot_2013-11-23-14-42-41-195110546.png

So I just flashed a costum unofficial cyanogenmod 12.1 rom on my lg l70 d320n, and my home button didn't work and my menu button acted like the home button. How would I go about fixing this with this method? Yes I could change where it says "HOME" to "MENU" to make my menu button behave, but how about the home button? I'd like to have it work.

So I just flashed a costum unofficial cyanogenmod 12.1 rom on my lg l70 d320n, and my home button didn't work and my menu button acted like the home button. How would I go about fixing this with this method? Yes I could change where it says "HOME" to "MENU" to make my menu button behave, but how about the home button? I'd like to have it work.
Take it you're rooted if so the try this : ButtonRemapper

Take it you're rooted if so the try this : ButtonRemapper
It doesn't work. I of course couldn't see the the menu button id was as it would close the app, but it said the home button id was 102. So when I went into the remapper the default setting for 102 was home, so I thought let's apply it and I should have my home button working as a home button again. But it didn't do anything. So I thought the keynumbertracker was wrong and the 102 button was actually my menu button. So I change the setting for 102 from home to menu and applied it. Again, didn't do anything.

Also I noticed, if I'm on my home screen or in the settings and I press the home button it selects an item/app. Well at least it puts a grey block over it. Any idea what function that could be?

Have just signed up to say thanks :) works perfectly even tho u dont need external text editing tool as it is included in root browser app :) thank you very much for this sir

Back