How to install Android on your Pandora

Honestly I find the current offering works fine outside the limitations the hardware (lacks multi-touch screen, no accelerometer  ) and I don't have a 1Ghz unit yet.. with a swap file enabled on my 256MB first batch unit (CC) I can still stream netflix, use the kindle reader and use basic applications.. My Rebirth unit can play do much more, play visually advanced games such as Max Payne, but GTAIII is a little over the top for it. 

the Gingerbread PND sure it could be better, but it fills my needs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly I find the current offering works fine outside the limitations the hardware (lacks multi-touch screen, no accelerometer  ) and I don't have a 1Ghz unit yet.. with a swap file enabled on my 256MB first batch unit (CC) I can still stream netflix, use the kindle reader and use basic applications.. My Rebirth unit can play do much more, play visually advanced games such as Max Payne, but GTAIII is a little over the top for it. 

the Gingerbread PND sure it could be better, but it fills my needs.

Leap of faith? 

Well for real I know somewhere in the Android settings menu there is some indicator of memory usage.. I'm sans Pandora at the moment.. so I can't pin-point it. could compare what it is if you don't enable it vs if you do.

Also only 1 swap file should be really needed.

Installed tonight. Overclocking my cc unit to 900 MHz gives me usable youtube and Netflix, and stock speeds gives me useable kindle. Nice to add these threw much used apps to my pandora!

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

Is it possible to use an on-screen keyboard?

I did try to download a few 3rd party on-screen keyboard, but whatever I tried in the settings it still only uses the built in pandora keyboard.

First I did'nt figure out how to get the nordic chars, and tried to find a way.

- on-screen keyboard dint work.

- the pandora compose keys does not work inside android

- setting keyboard mapping in xfce to norwgian did not apply in android

Then I discovered that long keypress on a o e does pop up the special keys for nordic chars. So my issue is solved.

But I still wonder if the on-screen keyboard is possible to use if wanted?

why isn't there a real install of android available though?

shouldn't in theory run better?
Lack of interest from the developers mostly..

Performance wise it shouldn't be any bit faster, all the Angstrom related processes are shutdown prior to launching android. What really is needed is someone to spend a ton of time optimizing it.. Notaz who release the gingerbread PND has no interest in maintaining an android build.
For me, it would not be about turning my P into another Android device. I already have one. It is about making the apps I use every day available on the Pandora and Android may be the best or only way to do that. Netflix is one and hopefully, eventually, Skype is another. Linphone or the other mentioned alternatives are not acceptable as I need to contact people on Skype. There is certainly much more active development on Android and having access to many, most or all of those apps is a HUGE plus for the P. Just demonstrating that type of device flexibility is HUGE since many Android devices out there can't upgrade to newer OS versions. I'm not up to the task, but I would gladly donate to anyone who would actively support this project. First priority should be to bring this to Jelly Bean. Many thanks to notaz for work so far. When my P arrives and I get a chance to use this, I will make a donation to show my thanks.

I tried Beagleboard Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich but dont get it work :(
Google it,there are premade Images from TI for Beagleboard and maybe someone get it run on the Pandora with little Modifications :)
I copied our Pandora Kernel in that Image,edited the Boot.txt and whamm noting start,nothing work :p
More have i not tried.
Maybe i get it run in my 3 Weeks Holiday next Month :)

The more android support the better :)

I wish it had a little more love around here :(

Agreed. If someone is going to work on something, Jelly Bean should be the target rather than ICS. I agree that donation rates are ridiculously low. Even wildly popular apps, add-ons etc only see a pittance for their work. I've tried to get better myself, but still need work. I think it would make an impact if users could see how much has been donated in the past year for a given app. When people see tens or hundreds of dollars a year for apps they use every day, they might loosen their purse strings.

This isn't anything money can solve, You need very skilled individual(s) to handle this. The people that can do it in our community tend to be very busy people that have little time to do a huge project in Pandora land. These people with the skill set for this type of work make a considerable amount of money, so money isn't a driving force for them to get into a big project they don't want to do. 

Agreed. However, I do think the appreciation does help them decide which project to devote their time to. Regardless, my point was that we non-programmers ought to put our money where our text is and support the developers who spend their time creating or porting the apps we use.

Agreed. However, I do think the appreciation does help them decide which project to devote their time to. Regardless, my point was that we non-programmers ought to put our money where our text is and support the developers who spend their time creating or porting the apps we use.
Or we could just bitch, moan, and gripe until the do the same work but for free?

Having read through notaz's thread and this one, there is discussion of the page file and swap. I got through the initial steps and installed Netflix through marketplace. Performance was terrible on my 1Ghz unit. I selected a 512MB page file size during the setup. I haven't done anything with swap. I am using the Edimax USB wifi. Is the lack of a swap my likely problem? I assume you create it on the card where the Android pnd is located (left slot). I was planning to install Google Play and continue on, but I thought I ought to get this solved first.

Are you sure you are using the external wifi adapter? last I knew you had to rename/swap the device name of the external adapter to match the internal wifi for android to use it.. other wise it will just use the slower internal wifi.

Swap isn't really an issue with Netflix, which works fine on my Rebirth and 1Ghz unit. but my internal wifi is fairly good on all my Pandora(s)

I'm not sure about JB as a target. It looks good and has a lot of great features I will absolutely grant, but since I rooted my phone I have tried half a dozen variants of JB and even more ICS (including CM9 based) and every single one had at least frequent moments of unresponsiveness and some were even just all around slow. Went back to CM7 and haven't had a problem since. I would love to be able to run CM10 on the Pandora, I just don't think it has the power.

Are you sure you are using the external wifi adapter? last I knew you had to rename/swap the device name of the external adapter to match the internal wifi for android to use it.. other wise it will just use the slower internal wifi.
How do you do that? I did not see that information in either of the threads.

I'm not sure about JB as a target. It looks good and has a lot of great features I will absolutely grant, but since I rooted my phone I have tried half a dozen variants of JB and even more ICS (including CM9 based) and every single one had at least frequent moments of unresponsiveness and some were even just all around slow. Went back to CM7 and haven't had a problem since. I would love to be able to run CM10 on the Pandora, I just don't think it has the power.
You are probably right. My thought was that in terms of app availability, JB is the target most developers are righting to, not several generations back.

Back