How To Find Maximum Cpu Speed?

Set it to 240 MHz (all GP2X's should be able to clock this), test it with a program, such as SquidgeSnes or gpsp. These programs allow you to alter the clock frequency. If the unit remains stable, without crashes that is, for about thirty minutes to one hour, it should be okay. Try again, this time increasing the clock with another 5 MHz. Once you get a crash, set it back to your previous values; you've most likely hit your maximum cpu speed. You may find different max clocks for different programs - this might be because they don't stress the cpu as much. Hope this helps, good luck.

Sebastian said:
Set it to 240 MHz (all GP2X's should be able to clock this), test it with a program, such as SquidgeSnes or gpsp. These programs allow you to alter the clock frequency. If the unit remains stable, without crashes that is, for about thirty minutes to one hour, it should be okay. Try again, this time increasing the clock with another 5 MHz. Once you get a crash, set it back to your previous values; you've most likely hit your maximum cpu speed. You may find different max clocks for different programs - this might be because they don't stress the cpu as much. Hope this helps, good luck.
If a game has messed up sound on certain cpu clocks, does that mean the CPU speed is too high?

Last edited by a moderator:
Also keep in mind that emus that use both CPU's cannot usually clock as high. PicoDrive and GnGeo beta are the emus in question, but bear in mind that dual CPU means they don't need to clock as high.

quadomatic said:
Could I just run Battery Tester for 30 minutes at a time to test higher clock speeds?
You could do that, but you really want a program that pushes the cpu to heat it up as much as possible, like an emulator that needs overclocking would do. THe battery tester software doesn't push the system. I would go with the first suggestion you got which is to use the snes or gba emulators. Also, beyond 240 different emulators usually have different tolerances for over clocking due to the above mentioned problem.

My GP2X clocks up to 275-280 on battery power, but up to 295-300 running from the AC adapter.

From this experience, I would guess that the quality of your power source (AA cells) has something to do with overclockability too...

coldfis said:
My GP2X clocks up to 275-280 on battery power, but up to 295-300 running from the AC adapter.

From this experience, I would guess that the quality of your power source (AA cells) has something to do with overclockability too...
I'm using some nice Duracell NiMH batteries, so I guess thats good

Back