Clock Speed Vs Cpu Damage

Sir_Askalot

Still Fresh
I was just changing the clock speed for one of my favourite snes games (super metroid) when a Know-it-all work colleague said that it wouldnt be too good for my gp2x's lifespan to run it too high for too long...is this true because i would hate to kill my console lol

It's true, you could reduce your main processors life time from 20 years to 15 years.

Or, in other words, he's right, but are you really going to be using your GP2X in 15 years time and thinking "I knew I shouldn't have overclocked!".

I find it far more likely that something else will fail a long time before that.

Squidge posted on May 23 2009 at 10:35 PM said:
It's true, you could reduce your main processors life time from 20 years to 15 years.

Or, in other words, he's right, but are you really going to be using your GP2X in 15 years time and thinking "I knew I shouldn't have overclocked!".

I find it far more likely that something else will fail a long time before that.
Is that it? no need for me to worry too much then *Cranks it up to 280* lets get killing those bothersome space pirates xD

Btw your post count is just crazy...do you ever log out?

Last edited by a moderator:

This is really only true if the cpu is running too hot. Over-clocking in general is only bad if the cpu is running above the temperatures it was designed for. Another thing is that the cpu in the gp2x is rated at 240mhz, that is to say they are under-clocked at 200mhz. So the bottom line is you are probably not significantly reducing your cpu's life because they don't tend to run hot (that is, the cpu's in the gp2x). Not to mention that cpus are designed to run for hundreds of thousands of hours and how much do you use your gp2x? 3 hours a day? I would be far more worried about the moving parts and the sd connector.

Chris

Indeed, my power switch is in fact failing these days.

Sir_Askalot posted on May 23 2009 at 11:29 PM said:
Btw your post count is just crazy...do you ever log out?
He's even encroaching on my post count now :eek:. What a crazy world.

I think the 240mhz is marketing speak rather than an official specification, most likely because most GP2Xs will overclock that high.

Anyway, the worst that'll happen is that your 2x will crash if you clock too high, and of course it'll eat the batteries much quicker.

Back