How To Avoid A Blu+ ?

dj jesus

Still Fresh
so i am going to buy another gp32 soon (i had one 2 years ago, but it was an original without a lightup screen so i sold it) and i want to get a BLU, but not the BLU+ because i have heard horror stories about compatibility with them. how do i KNOW that i am getting the original BLU and not the one with the messed up screen? I am thinking about buying one from gbax.com but i need to know which kind they sell.

any ideas?

thanks!

All BLUs available now will probably have the taiwanese LCD, which makes them a BLU+

however, there is no need to avoid the BLU+ anymore, as most of the software works on it, or is at least modified to work for it.

Easiest way to tell is probably run DrMD. If you don't get a white bar then you've got a BLU. If you've got a bar then it's a BLU+ although the screen can be changed within the interface to suit either. Your probably get a BLU+ from GBAx.

:)

Edit: Btw, I've got a BLU+ and I personally prefer it over the BLU. The BLU didn't seem as sharp and I found the colours not as bright. If your looking at using your GP32 for emulation then the only possible problem you may run into is with SNES emulation.

dj jesus posted on Jul 13 2005 at 04:24 PM said:
so i am going to buy another gp32 soon (i had one 2 years ago, but it was an original without a lightup screen so i sold it) and i want to get a BLU, but not the BLU+ because i have heard horror stories about compatibility with them.   how do i KNOW that i am getting the original BLU and not the one with the messed up screen?   I am thinking about buying one from gbax.com but i need to know which kind they sell.

any ideas?

thanks!

The only way to get a non-BLU+ is to get a used one from ebay. All GP32s sold in the UK (GBAX) or US (GP32Z) are BLU+. The screen has *slightly* more contrast on the BLU+ and all emulators have been fixed to work on it now so it is not a big deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where are you from, UK?
You can buy my with a ton of extras including a unused can of plastic spray paint base

GA01 posted on Jul 13 2005 at 05:31 PM said:
Edit: Btw, I've got a BLU+ and I personally prefer it over the BLU. The BLU didn't seem as sharp and I found the colours not as bright. If your looking at using your GP32 for emulation then the only possible problem you may run into is with SNES emulation.

I have a BLU+ and cannot be happier (well except for a memory mod I want)
but even the SNES works now - there is a BLU+ version of OpenSnes

Aw there are still these horror stories going around?

The BLU+ is wonderful!
Everything will work, don`t be afraid!

I was wondering whether www.virginplay.es are selling BLU or BLU+ because I want to get one from there.

Tarka posted on Jul 13 2005 at 08:14 PM said:
Edit: Btw at I've got a BLU+ and I personally prefer it over the BLU. The BLU didn't seem as sharp and I found the colours not as bright. If your looking at using your GP32 for emulation then the only possible problem you may run into is with SNES emulation.

I've tried the BLU+ version of OpenSnes but I keep getting "Out of Memory" errors every time I load a game :(.

Rob posted on Jul 13 2005 at 09:28 PM said:
I was wondering whether www.virginplay.es are selling BLU or BLU+ because I want to get one from there.

Does not matter! BLU+ are better with screen quality, and everything you need runs on it, just get one :)

GA01 posted on Jul 13 2005 at 10:04 PM said:
Tarka posted on Jul 13 2005 at 08:14 PM said:
Edit: Btw at I've got a BLU+ and I personally prefer it over the BLU. The BLU didn't seem as sharp and I found the colours not as bright. If your looking at using your GP32 for emulation then the only possible problem you may run into is with SNES emulation.

I've tried the BLU+ version of OpenSnes but I keep getting "Out of Memory" errors every time I load a game :(.

Use unzipped roms. Zipped roms somehow dont work.

Quiest posted on Jul 13 2005 at 09:41 PM said:
Use unzipped roms. Zipped roms somehow dont work.

I've tried both zipped and unzipped but still no joy :(. Happens on every game I load.

Well then try to format your smc and copy everything again, because my version works just fine on my BLU+, but maybe you are just trying roms that aren`t supported by any version of osnes9x?

I got a GP32 a few months ago, and I was also cautious about getting a BLU+ because of the same concerns. The guys at GBAX said that it was not possible to get new system from them that was not a BLU+ and that the problems had been fixed. So I got one anyway and am very pleased with it.
It is true that some programs have the white bar problem, but I have run into only two that did not allow me to switch screen types to fix it. Most older programs that do not have the option to switch screen types do not exhibit the white bar problem anyway.
A few posters mentioned that the new screen has better colours, and I think this is absolutely true. I haven't seen any of the older GP32 systems, but the BLU+ screen quality is as good if not better than any CRT monitor I've seen, and better than any other colour handheld I've seen.
My only gripe is that the protective plastic cover over the display is very reflective, and in certain lighting conditions you have to angle the GP32 in such a way as to eliminate the reflections as best as possible. This is most annoying when playing outside in light that is not direct sunlight, where the reflections can make it very difficult to see things on the screen.
Another inconvenience is that the backlight is deactivated by holding down the "select" button, and in some programs this keypress is intercepted and prevents one from turning off the backlight.
Overall I would say get a BLU+, the white bar problem really isn't much of a problem at all.

Quiest posted on Jul 13 2005 at 10:28 PM said:
Well then try to format your smc and copy everything again, because my version works just fine on my BLU+, but maybe you are just trying roms that aren`t supported by any version of osnes9x?

I've already re-formatted my SMC many times but maybe your right about the roms. I'll search for some new ones. Thanks for the advice.

well the main reason i want to get the gp again is for NES emulation... but i also want to play some homebrew apps... are the homebrew apps mostly or all compatibile with blu+?

also how good is SNES emulation these days? can i play final fantasy 6 with sound?

thanks!

dj jesus posted on Jul 14 2005 at 03:26 PM said:
well the main reason i want to get the gp again is for NES emulation... but i also want to play some homebrew apps... are the homebrew apps mostly or all compatibile with blu+?

also how good is SNES emulation these days? can i play final fantasy 6 with sound?

thanks!
not with sound :(

dj jesus posted on Jul 14 2005 at 03:26 PM said:

thanks!
you can at 166mhz with 0.2.. but that hasn't been ported to blu+.... though it is niot fullspeed.. something like 50% with high frameskip , though very playable.

Back