How Much Would You Pay For A Portable Dreamcast?

jmetal88

Erm.... Woohoo!
Website
mikesweb.exofire.net
I was thinking about wiring up my spare Dreamcast console into either a handheld or suitcase-style portable and selling it. I thought I'd ask how much people would be willing to pay for such a novelty before I started so I can get a good idea of the price range I'd need to take into account when building it.

So, the question stands.

How much would you be willing to pay for a portable Dreamcast in either a handheld or suitcase-style design?

jmetal88 posted on Sep 9 2006 at 11:08 PM said:
I was thinking about wiring up my spare Dreamcast console into either a handheld or suitcase-style portable and selling it. I thought I'd ask how much people would be willing to pay for such a novelty before I started so I can get a good idea of the price range I'd need to take into account when building it.

So, the question stands.

How much would you be willing to pay for a portable Dreamcast in either a handheld or suitcase-style design?

if i knew the dreamcast parts were new and that t was a good quality build you could expect 200£ mayby more.
but just a novelty, you really cant ask more than 150£. but then thats just me
some people would spend alot more.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know about how much I'd pay for such a thing, but I too have a spare Dreamcast and if you know of a good how-to for making a DIY Treamcast-style DC or are planning on documenting yours I'd be interested in that. Speaking of, you could probably use the Treamcast as the basis for the upper price limit for yours, since theirs is presumably professionally done and uses all new parts.

OK, so so far I get the feeling that $200 would be a good mid-level price?

The Dreamcast parts are from August 2000, by the way. That's the last month that DCs were able to play CD-based games.

jmetal88 posted on Sep 9 2006 at 06:28 PM said:

The Dreamcast parts are from August 2000, by the way. That's the last month that DCs were able to play CD-based games.
You mean there are some DC's that cant play the boolegs?

PSyMastR posted on Sep 9 2006 at 05:38 PM said:

Supposedly from what I've read, any units manufactured September 2000 or later were not able to play CD-based games. That includes bleemcast!.

jmetal88 posted on Sep 9 2006 at 11:43 PM said:

Supposedly from what I've read, any units manufactured September 2000 or later were not able to play CD-based games. That includes bleemcast!.
That's just NTSC US ones. Pal ones and possibly Jap ones will work no matter what.

Goity posted on Sep 9 2006 at 05:54 PM said:

That's just NTSC US ones. Pal ones and possibly Jap ones will work no matter what.

Well, mine is NTSC. Not that it will matter for a handheld. If anyone foreign buys it, I'll include the Utopia boot disc so they can boot their own local games.

jmetal88 posted on Sep 10 2006 at 12:01 AM said:

Well, mine is NTSC. Not that it will matter for a handheld. If anyone foreign buys it, I'll include the Utopia boot disc so they can boot their own local games.

Will it be something like a Benheck style thingy? If so I'd probably pay $200 for one.

Goity posted on Sep 9 2006 at 06:04 PM said:

Will it be something like a Benheck style thingy? If so I'd probably pay $200 for one.

Yeah, it's gonna be something like that. I can't decide whether I want to vacuum form the case out of plastic or do something else, though.

jmetal88 posted on Sep 10 2006 at 12:22 AM said:

Yeah, it's gonna be something like that. I can't decide whether I want to vacuum form the case out of plastic or do something else, though.
vaccuum form is cool. Are you gonna have the pad integrated as well as space for a vmu?

Goity posted on Sep 9 2006 at 06:24 PM said:
jmetal88 posted on Sep 10 2006 at 12:22 AM said:

vaccuum form is cool. Are you gonna have the pad integrated as well as space for a vmu?

I'll probably just build-in a standard memory card. There will be integrated controls. There will also be controller ports for multiplayer, etc.

jmetal88 posted on Sep 10 2006 at 12:53 AM said:
sam fisher posted on Sep 9 2006 at 06:38 PM said:
BenHeck never did a DC. Marshallh on BenHeck.com did though.

That's why BenHeck style was the term used. :)

I can guarentee that the most difficult thing about this will be figuring out how to get all the different voltages. I figure a couple of 7.2v RC battery packs is the way to go, then some regulators to step it down to 12v, 5v, and 3.3v.

Goity posted on Sep 10 2006 at 01:09 AM said:

Ben's case style is completely different to Marhsallh's style!

sam fisher posted on Sep 9 2006 at 07:49 PM said:
Goity posted on Sep 10 2006 at 01:09 AM said:

Ben's case style is completely different to Marhsallh's style!

That doesn't mean mine can't be.

Back