Playstation Vita Will Finish The Pandora?

SONY said:
Phawx said:
King of Fighters just came out for iPhone, just makes me scratch my head.
Wonder how it plays, anyone tried it yet? Bet it sucks.
ill try it out for you sony

Last edited by a moderator:
The Pandora finished itself. It was obsolete by the time it (sort of kinda) shipped. Even if it were the only handheld game console in existence, it still wouldn't succeed.

SONY said:
Phawx said:
King of Fighters just came out for iPhone, just makes me scratch my head.
Wonder how it plays, anyone tried it yet? Bet it sucks.

SFIV Volt is pretty awesome, no reason to think KOF wouldn't be, but I can't confirm since I've only got a 2nd Gen.

WizardStan said:
Exophase said:
And I disagree with you, that buying a Pandora over a PSVita sends any kind of tangible message to anyone.
Not to Sony or Nintendo, perhaps, but definitely to the people who do want to produce such open devices. "This idea you have is potentially viable" even if it is at small numbers.

Except Craig is making the iControlPad which is for a closed device, and that was despite all the pre-orders for the Pandora.

migo said:
WizardStan said:
Exophase said:
And I disagree with you, that buying a Pandora over a PSVita sends any kind of tangible message to anyone.
Not to Sony or Nintendo, perhaps, but definitely to the people who do want to produce such open devices. "This idea you have is potentially viable" even if it is at small numbers.

Except Craig is making the iControlPad which is for a closed device, and that was despite all the pre-orders for the Pandora.

I don't follow you. What does that have to do with it?

migo said:
The Pandora finished itself. It was obsolete by the time it (sort of kinda) shipped. Even if it were the only handheld game console in existence, it still wouldn't succeed.
There is nothing obsolete in the Pandora. It just lacks of Software but this is getting better, see the last Coding Competition. :) The slowness of delivering Pandoras also doesn't make it better but this has nothing to do with obsolete Hardware. I doubt the Pandora will ever ship faster because everyone seems to work against Open Pandora Team but I'm sure that we will have at least good Software for the Pandora to stand against the commercial Handhelds. If just the Drivers and Hardware Access would be better.

migo said:
Define "succeed".
Sell millions, no, it won't. But it doesn't have to. Nintendo and Sony sink millions of dollars into R&D and they need to sell millions to recoup their losses.
Sell 10'000-20'000, the approximate amount OPT needs to sell in order to start turning a profit? I don't see any reason that isn't doable, if they could just get a consistent production line going.
Simply exist and prove it can be done? They've already done that, albeit with a lot of mistakes along the way, mistakes they won't be repeating I'm sure should they make a Pandora 2, and anyone with a similar idea who has followed the project will not make either.
The only way the Pandora doesn't succeed is if you honestly expected them to compete with the likes of Apple, Nintendo, and Sony, which was never the goal to begin with.

Well, the pandora's price is bordering on ridiculous at $500. It's great and all, but it's not THAT great. You could buy TWO Vitas for that and keep one for homebrew and one for official games, if it comes down to that. Or you could build yourself a gaming PC. I've said it before: if the Pandora was $500 when I bought it, I wouldn't have.

absolofdoom said:
Well, the pandora's price is bordering on ridiculous at $500. It's great and all, but it's not THAT great. You could buy TWO Vitas for that and keep one for homebrew and one for official games, if it comes down to that. Or you could build yourself a gaming PC. I've said it before: if the Pandora was $500 when I bought it, I wouldn't have.

The $500 price is keeping me from getting one. Then again, the $330 pre-order price was pretty steep as well. Even now I can't justify spending $330 on a handheld, let alone $500. $500 = a new PSP, a new Wiz, a new Caanoo, and a new DSi...

akator said:
The $500 price is keeping me from getting one. Then again, the $330 pre-order price was pretty steep as well. Even now I can't justify spending $330 on a handheld, let alone $500. $500 = a new PSP, a new Wiz, a new Caanoo, and a new DSi...

Back then, it was different, for me. The pandora was perfect, and it was the only thing that I *could* get that would do what I wanted. Now it isn't the only thing for me, and the software it could have had will never happen. Honestly, it really isn't even worth $330 to me now. It's like a bad taste in my mouth. Yeah, it does work, but I still feel cheated. Or more accurately, I feel like the Pandora was cheated, I guess. I almost sold it, but then I changed my mind. Better to keep it to remind me; it's a lesson for the future.

I suppose looking at it now, it's not possible to see what it could have been. I could see myself looking at it for the first time and honestly thinking it isn't too bad, though not quite worth the $500. But looking at what it could have been...it just makes me feel sad whenever I pick the damn thing up. It really was riding on the community.

Eh, sorry, I guess I vented a little. Sometimes I'm a bit emotional.

So, Vita is confirmed to have 512MB of system RAM and 128MB of dedicated VRAM. This thing is going to be a beast and will have plenty of memory for emulation if it ever comes to that. However, you don't need to look at the pandora and vita as enemies. Their emulation development work can enrich one another's. Ari64's work alone will give the Vita a huge head start and anything done on the Vita can be ported back to the pandora and optimized for it. They are using the same instruction set (ARMv7) and their GPUs are from the same family. They have a lot in common even though the vita is much more powerful.

Homebrew was already confirmed for the PS Vita via PS Suite... I just hope it isn't taken away like Other OS...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-09-15-android-gaming-coming-to-vita

Anyway, The PS Vita is looking really good right now. I can't wait to get one of these things... Hopefully MGS4 gets ported but I doubt it. It already has MGS1, 2 and 3, which includes MG 1 and MG 2: Solid Snake... It's also very possible the Vita will get Metal Gear Solid: Rising... So 4 would just be icing on the cake...

The PSP-1008 model already pwn pissdora in all gaming terms, the PSP VITA pisses over forgotten pissdora grave

Back