How many buttons can the pandora register?

vadsamoht

Just curious about the maximum number of simultaneous keypresses the pandora can register at one time. I'm not particularly interested in the L/R buttons just the keymat. And are there regions of the keyboard that are grouped speecially?

2 guaranteed keyboard buttons, but you can sometimes get lucky and it'll register 3, depending on which they are. The matrix MWeston used is probably on the wiki somewhere if you're really curious about exactly which triple button combinations will work.

The game pad buttons (meaning d-pad, A,B,X,Y,L,R, Start, Select, and Pandora) are on their own individual input lines, will always register, and do not affect the keyboards ability to register two additional key presses.

I finally went back to the GP32x forums and did a search there, and found a ton of confirmation that, as you suggested, only two keypresses will work at one, except in a few situations (such as the game buttons, L/R etc.)

However, re. this:

The matrix MWeston used is probably on the wiki somewhere if you're really curious about exactly which triple button combinations will work.

I cannot find the matrix you suggested on the wiki or either forum. Am I missing something?

I said it was probably there, not that I knew for certain it was :p

I remember seeing a picture of it once, but it didn't particularly interest me so I don't really remember where, sorry. :(

Just checked and was about to edit my post, it is indeed in the hackers guide :)

I think the shoulder button and gaming control can register everything.

The keyboard is two key at the same time IIRC.. that being said the Start / Select / Pandora button might be different.

And to finish my favorite shortcut on the Pandora:

Left Shoulder button + Right Shoulder Button + Alt + DEL

That's to delete something permanently in the file manager :)

Just checked and was about to edit my post, it is indeed in the hackers guide :)
Of course! How could I forget!

For reference, the guide is here, and the matrix diagram is on p.20.

damn thats hard to read...

ok... so if I managed to get this right, the matrix layout looks like this:

keypadmatrix.png

Is that correct?

-Neelix

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, that seems to be correct. Also, it's far more readable. Would you object if I were to upload that to the wiki?

EDIT: I've only just noticed that the Pandora button is not on that matrix (as well as the game buttons). Do we have a diagram for these (GPIO 96-111)?

Yep, that seems to be correct. Also, it's far more readable. Would you object if I were to upload that to the wiki?

EDIT: I've only just noticed that the Pandora button is not on that matrix (as well as the game buttons). Do we have a diagram for these (GPIO 96-111)?

I've no objections, go right ahead. :)

as for the gamepad section I'm not sure where to find that information off the top of my head.

-Neelix

They don't really need a diagram, there's nothing complex about them, they're 1:1 mapping from button to GPIO. Which I can't find... hmm... It's in the source somewhere, I'm just too lazy to find it right now.

*back to Portal 2*

Interestingly, I found the following thread on the other forums by accident, and it seems to suggest that many more than 2 keypresses can be registered (apparently QWERTYUI works):

Remember the 'only two keyboard buttons at once' limitation?

Naturally there will be situations where the max. number is less than this as determined above, I just thought it was an interesting point.

Interestingly, I found the following thread on the other forums by accident, and it seems to suggest that many more than 2 keypresses can be registered (apparently QWERTYUI works):
Yes, the 2 is not a maximum, it is a minimum: it can register at least 2 presses, often more. If you look at the diagram Neelix has created above, all keys in a single row or column can be pressed provided they are the only keys being pressed. Also, you can press any keys that do not share a row or column line, so Enter, 2, E, D, C, and Fn could all be pressed and registered, but the very next key would necessarily fall on an existing row or column and could screw things up.

You can also mix and match these combinations: You could press Q, W, E, R, and T, 6 and 7, and J, N, and M. The maximum number of keys you can press and still have register would be Enter, L, K, P, O, Del, 0, 8, I, J, N, and M. Physically, anyway. The software may have some issues registering that many keys.

The 2 button minimum comes from when you push buttons on the same row/column. If you press 1 and 2, everything else in columns 7 and 6 will break the matrix; you can still press anything in columns 0-5 though.

The matrix of most desktop keyboards is laid out such that you have a minimum of 3 key presses, but they have far more buttons and require a more complex matrix.

Back