How do I type charcters using the Fn key in DOSBOX?

second exodous

Advanced Member
I'm trying to mount an .iso file in Dosbox and I can't type the dash (-) symbol for the -t option. How do I use all the characters in blue in the dos prompt?

There's some info on the wiki page about other symbols, not sure if it applies here:

"In order to use the colon symbol, you have to press shift (left shoulder button) + Fn + ";". This also goes for the underscore symbol."

EDIT - Actually just typing Fn + D gets you the - symbol. Were you maybe trying Fn + Y? Because that doesn't seem to do anything. Also, shift (left shoulder button) + Fn + D gets you an _ (underscore).

Last edited by a moderator:
There's some info on the wiki page about other symbols, not sure if it applies here:

"In order to use the colon symbol, you have to press shift (left shoulder button) + Fn + ";". This also goes for the underscore symbol."

EDIT - Actually just typing Fn + D gets you the - symbol. Were you maybe trying Fn + Y? Because that doesn't seem to do anything. Also, shift (left shoulder button) + Fn + D gets you an _ (underscore).

I have now tried for a while to get dosbox to behave properly, but I so far have found no way to open the keymapper. select/ctrl+Fn+1 does not work as does RightShoulder+Fn+1.

Then I tried the mapper.txt, but that did not take, either. for example, (y) still produces a "/" instead of a space.

Without proper mapping DosBox is pretty much useless. For most games I would at least need directional keys to navigate basic menus, but these are not mapped to the dpad, either.

Can somebody point me in the right direction? I even vow that I will update the Wiki-Article!

Is nobody using DosBox? Or has simply nobody the same problem?

Everyone has the same problem, we're just suffering with the workaround (shift-fn-d for an underscore, shift-fn-H for the ~, etc...)

Everyone has the same problem, we're just suffering with the workaround (shift-fn-d for an underscore, shift-fn-H for the ~, etc...)

dammnit, whats the point of having a keymapper if you cannot access it?

I know, I know, this thing was not written for the pandy originally...

is there any other way to set up keybindings?

if nobody knows, I´m gonna have a look at the source...

Hm. I also had this problem today. I could start the keymapper when dosbox was fullscreen (Ctrl-Enter).

Then, another time, fullscreen didn't help either. Found out the mapperfile wasn't working because the conf had "usescancodes=true" in it.

And with that, the keys for accessing the keymapper didn't work either. Put "usescancodes=false" in the conf and used the mapper.txt from here. With that, it worked.

Treacherous little thing, the dosbox. Multiple modes of fail.

Back