How bout an app store type app???

dflemstr said:
I'm not talking about THAT kind of link erasure; you as an user should always be able to redownload your bought product. But maybe it would be wise to make the download URL bound to your store username, so that you can't publish the download link on a forum (such as gp32x) and just let everyone download form it.
But that is exactly how the download link for World of Goo is. There's no user name or password, it's just a URL. I could publish the link here, and anyone could download it. I won't, of course, but I could. I paid $20 for that link, well worth it, and I'm certainly not going to spoil it by letting someone else download it for free.

Here's an idea: If somebody wants to sell stuff for pandora, let them work for it. They can manage their own website with their own payment system and their own server with downloads. But for all the open source/free stuff let it be in the main pandora "package manager" maybe make a nice sleek application to handle it, with categories, nice shiny graphics, screenshots, comments, "install now" button... You know because you can't assume anyone who buys a Pandora as a handheld game console is going to be a computer expert, or even a Linux expert... It should be a nice, well presented, web 2.0 experience, with nice modern graphics, application summary, official review, user rating, download count, comments, screenshots, and a big shiny "install now" button that the end user just simply clicks... For example a link in the browser like this:
opinstall:http://www.website.com/download/application.opi
that's if the extension of an automated package manager type installation package would have the extension "OPI" Like open pandora installer (just for example). Which would launch the package manager to handle that file's download and installation, then automatically, based on what category you downloaded the application from, it would create a shortcut/menu icon for it and maybe some sort of nice slider/notification tray notification that's like "You have successfully installed a new application! YEY for you! [Launch Now] [Close]" Just like the "add/remove programs" on Ubuntu. Could be in a webpage or just an Open Pandora version of Ubuntu's Add/Remove programs, using repositories...

I still think, eventually all the official Open Pandora stuff should have a "Gamer" theme to it... Since it is actually a game console (with the advantage of being able to be used as a regular computer too)

Just my ideas, I could even back them up and do all these graphics I keep yappin' about... But I'm definately no programmer.

Oh, I had forgotten about this thread; discussion has been going on at gp32x instead.
Basically I have an application nearly finished; I just need to complete some features to finish it. It currently has support for screenshots, descriptions, etc, and it's very easy to use: you just upload a package and say in which category it belongs, and you're done. I also abuse AJAX, Comet and jQuery to hell. Here are some (now rather obsolete but still informative) screenshots of the application: http://spacerts.dyndns.org/stuff/pndmanager.zip

I could need a better theme for the application (it uses template isolation so a themer has no limits whatsoever and can do anything with the theme within the limits of HTML and javascript)

Back