How Are All The Linux Newbies Coping?

MikeFishcake

Still Fresh
I've hardly ever used Linux - I installed Ubuntu in a VM on my windows box a couple of years ago, thought "DIFFERENT BAD!" and ran away screaming like a little girl.

I've had a look at the intro to Linux bit in the Wiki, which was very useful, but I'd be interested to see if there are any Pandora owners here who've never had any experience with Linux before, and how they coped with setting the system up.

I know all the arguments for using Linux (been using techie forums for years!), and I'm absolutely not against it, but let's just not bother with the attempts to try and convert me. They've been done before :D

So, who's gone into Pandora usage with no experience of Linux then? How did you find it?

I've been using Windows since V3.1 (except ME and Vista) and MacOS since 10.3.

Edit: And of course Workbench 1.3, 2 and 3!

I don't have my Pandora yet. And I do now use Linux exclusively on my laptop. I do still run Windows on some machines but it's getting to a point where I'm going to dual-boot those too.

I switched to Fedora Linux around the same time I put in my order for the Pandora, in October 09. You do get that initial "This looks different" moment and there are a number of things you need to do (at least in my case) to make the thing usable e.g. ntfs-3g, samba shares, make the fonts better, setup your email and internet browser properly. After that, it's just a learning experience. Sometimes things don't work, and you try and workout why. When I first tried to switch to Linux with Fedora Core 5, the terminal confused me, even though I was an experienced Windows user who had used command-line tools. However, in many ways it's a lot better. Once you've learnt the basic navigation controls, you'll just start picking up the more exotic ones. I even wrote a little Bash script launcher the other day.

Next step, trying to program again.

I find that while Linux is great for casual users and experts, it leaves a lot to be desired for power users. I think in this regard, Windows serves this segment better. Having said that, the Pandora looks like it fits in with this middle catagory very well with the firmware we have and the kind of apps being released - take PND files, which I think falls under the power user appeal catagory. Experts and casual users seem to prefer package management, because it is easy to use or automates updates. Power users like to feel in control with a moderate level of configuration access. Micromanaging the system seems to be the impulse rather than scripting and automation. The pnd system can be managed manually and satisfies this.

SomeGuy99 said:
I find that while Linux is great for casual users and experts, it leaves a lot to be desired for power users. I think in this regard, Windows serves this segment better.
:blink:

I'm not sure that I follow. Please, say more.

Last edited by a moderator:
popcorn.gif

Well personally I'm having a nightmare. I've had it 2 days and all I can do is browse the web. I've inserted apps into the apps folder. I turn the thing on, a few of the apps show up on the desktop but when I double click on them (uae4all, snes etc), nothing happens! Help!!!!!!

SomeGuy99 said:
I find that while Linux is great for casual users and experts, it leaves a lot to be desired for power users. I think in this regard, Windows serves this segment better.
:huh:
I think you've got that the wrong way around bud.
Linux lets you change everything; Windows limits everything; how's Windows more powerful?

NickLoTurco said:
Well personally I'm having a nightmare. I've had it 2 days and all I can do is browse the web. I've inserted apps into the apps folder. I turn the thing on, a few of the apps show up on the desktop but when I double click on them (uae4all, snes etc), nothing happens! Help!!!!!!
Not sure if you have already or not, but try posting in the "i need help" sub forum.
I'm sure you'll get sorted in no time.

Edit: I see that you have, good luck.
Hopefully not long now, you managed to be one of the first Pandora owners so your helping all the rest of us also.

And the thread fills up with Linux users. :rolleyes:
Sorry, just adding to the noise, I know.

Tripmonkey_uk said:
SomeGuy99 said:
Linux lets you change everything; Windows limits everything; how's Windows more powerful?

Such limitations aren't visible for those who can do what they like using Windows and aren't bound.

Kicker said:
SomeGuy99 said:
:blink:

I'm not sure that I follow. Please, say more.

Tripmonkey_uk said:
SomeGuy99 said:

Linux is way more configurable, yes. But learning how to do this is a steep learning curve.

Let's say there are three classes of user (a falsehood, but let's pretend)

1) Casual Users

Uses standard apps, like Web Browser, Office programs, music and video etc.

How Linux is appealing:

Modern distros have most stuff working out of the box - the office suite comes built in, drivers don't need to be installed, using the software manager is simpler and quicker than the Windows installers, updates are managed automatically. Distros like Mint even have codecs, flash and DVD playing out of the box.

2) Expert Users

System admins, hackers, developers. Compiles programs/kernel from source and builds/customises a distro from components.

How Linux is appealing:

The modular nature and open source nature means you can configure and rebuild anything you like, although some things may take longer than others.

3) Power Users

Tweaks the system, cleans registry and manages background proccessors. Runs emulators, virtualisation, uses browsers with add-ons etc.

How Linux is appealing:

It kind of isn't. To achieve the same level/ease of control that you can get in Windows through GUI applications, you need to learn a lot about Linux and the command line. You need to become an expert user, which is intimidating and a huge time-sink.

This has been my experience anyway. YMMV.

I started Linux years ago from before GNOME 1.0 (was taught to use W95 and beyond), back then I also had the "Eww, different, BAD!" feeling. Few years back I tried out the modern Ubuntu/Fedora/Mandriva distros that have made me a semi-permanent linux user that loves the command line :) VIM, though, still has a wtfbbq steep learning curve. I still have the windows roots that have permanently f**ked up my brain, so I have to resort to gEdit, Eclipse, Geany, etc.

Nowadays I try to do as much as possible under Linux, and using a virtual machine Windows for some closed-source expensive software.
I have "Powered by Archlinux" stickers on my laptop. 'nuff said.

In linux you can go into the sourcecode of the kernel and change anything you like... I don't think you can have anymore of a "power user" then that.

greendots said:
In linux you can go into the sourcecode of the kernel and change anything you like... I don't think you can have anymore of a "power user" then that.

Try porting it to an FPGA Microblaze Softcore. That's even more hardcore ^_^. 50Mhz of condensed joy.

SomeGuy99 said:
Linux is way more configurable, yes. But learning how to do this is a steep learning curve.
Sorry but as far as I'm concerned the latest versions of Windows are a lot harder for people to learn than the older versions of Windows and the latest versions of Linux based operating systems.

I tutor at age concern teaching the over 50's how to use computers, Internet and email, and I always have to resort to teaching them on a WindowsXP based computer because Vista and Windows 7 just confuse the hell out of them. After they finish the course I can pass them my Linux laptop running the latest version of Ubuntu and they can find their way around the operating system no problem just like with XP but they still have trouble using the latest versions of Windows.

I've also got a couple of my friends trying out Linux in verious forms and they all seem to use it with very minor problems.

The old excuse that Linux is hard to use doesn't work any more. You can now configure just about everything from the GUI.
I can't remember the last time I used the command line :)

SomeGuy99 said:
It kind of isn't. To achieve the same level/ease of control that you can get in Windows through GUI applications, you need to learn a lot about Linux and the command line. You need to become an expert user, which is intimidating and a huge time-sink.
Nice to see someone living 10+ years in the past. For the so-called "power user" of your definition the command line has been trimmed to a simple "nice to have" that is only used if that user either found out its advantages or if he shot down his system that much that he is happy to have something to be still able to fix it.

By the way, you're mixing up "easy to use" and "easy to find out".

OK everybody, line up in front of the chalkboard and write "This is not a Windows Vs Linux Thread" 100 times...

Just ask what you are going to ask, and not say anything about your history. That's how arguments get started.

Noisome said:
Just ask what you are going to ask, and not say anything about your history. That's how arguments get started.

I should have learnt by now really.

(No one mention Mac Vs PC :D)

Back