Linux Driver Question

Stouffa

I've just bought myself a cheap Logitech wireless mouse with view to using it on my Pandora, when it gets here (natch!). is it possible to easily add these kinds of devices to the Pandora? is it all pretty much managed be default in a modern Linux setup? I really don't have much Linux experience, so it's probably a really basic question (but as I'm looking forward to things like Cannon Fodder and Shufflepuck Cafe on Amiga emulation, having a good mouse would certainly be a boon!)

Stouffa said:
I've just bought myself a cheap Logitech wireless mouse with view to using it on my Pandora, when it gets here (natch!). is it possible to easily add these kinds of devices to the Pandora? is it all pretty much managed be default in a modern Linux setup? I really don't have much Linux experience, so it's probably a really basic question (but as I'm looking forward to things like Cannon Fodder and Shufflepuck Cafe on Amiga emulation, having a good mouse would certainly be a boon!)
There's a difference between Windows and Linux when it comes to drivers. In Windows, you will download most drivers for things such as mice and e.g. GPS devices from a vendor's home page, while in Linux, all the drivers for all of the devices that are compatible with Linux are included already (except those that use conflicting licenses).

So, almost all PC hardware in the world works out of the box, and if it doesn't, only then do you have to download a driver for the device.

Last edited by a moderator:
dflem .. to be fair, its not like every driver module in the world will be bundled with Pandora :)

But on the other hand, yes, a basic mouse driver will just work.

(Keyboards are a little more confusing, since most USB keyb's are USB1.1 and not USB2, and so you need to jack them into a USB2 hub first.)

This is all covered i nthe public wiki folks have updated, fwiw.

jeff

Thanks for the information, Wasn't sure how easily wireless devices would work on the Pandora, that's all!

Back