How Are All The Linux Newbies Coping?

Although not how I interpreted the OP, I can definitely see why you saw it that way.
And maybe your right about it being 'too soon'
I stopped reading as I could also see the way it was going also, and I have no interest in the merit/faults of os's.

It's certainly been an interesting discussion (in parts) anyway - thanks to the ones that replied with some good answers and arguments against my original message.

WizardStan said:
The Wii OS is different from Windows. I've never heard any complaints.
The PS3 OS is different from Windows. I've never heard any complaints.
The XBox and 360 OSs are different from Windows. I've never heard any complaints.
The TIVO system, which actually is a version of Linux even though 99% of the population is completely unaware of that, is different from Windows. I've never heard any complaints.

That's pretty much in a nutshell identifies what I want to know - Is it totally transparent to the end user as to what it's running on? How well can it be used without any tinkering under the hood? Can I just tap a few buttons and be playing Amiga/SNES/Master System games in a few minutes?

second exodous said:
This thread is too soon, not enough 'posting' people have their Pandora yet and the first post looked a little biased. People are staying civil but I don't see this tread being productive, I'm sorry. Go to the help section and see what people are posting there to get an idea of what is going on.

If I started the thread pretending to be a Linux user, that wouldn't be very productive. The reason that I initially asked people not to try to 'convert' me to using Linux (on my desktop) was because I didn't want the thread to get derailed with irrelevant content about how Windows is rubbish and all that. Heh. Backfire anyone? I'd had a look through the help pages at the time to see if anyone had asked a similar question. Couldn't find anything that answered what I wanted to know.

Reading through the responses, and with the benefit of hindsight, I'd probably re-word my initial question into the more concise: "Do you need to be familiar with Linux to be able to use the Pandora properly?", and then let people discuss their interpretation of "properly" and all that.

The "running away screaming" comment was just a light-hearted self-deprecating comment that seems to have upset people. *shrugs*

I'll probably drop back in a few months time to see how the project is progressing anyway.

(This topic reminds me of the Amiga vs ST vs PC arguments I used to have in the early 90s :D )

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike Fishcake said:
Reading through the responses, and with the benefit of hindsight, I'd probably re-word my initial question into the more concise: "Do you need to be familiar with Linux to be able to use the Pandora properly?", and then let people discuss their interpretation of "properly" and all that.
I was reaching for the reply button to make a comment about the definition of "properly" before I even finished that sentence...
You know us too well it seems. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Back