How accessible will the Pyra be to Linux newbies?

I've not used a Debian live image myself - what DE does it drop you into?  I'd assume it'd be Gnome 3, while the Pyra will use XFCE or LXQT last time I heard - both of those DEs use the traditional desktop metaphor, using a menu as the initial graphical application launcher, while Gnome 3 uses a search box type system to launch apps for the first time.  It's also a lot more heavyweight, taking CPU cycles to do pointless animations and such like, but I guess once you've launched an application in either it's pretty much equivalent.

Though I tend to think that pointless animations become even more pointless when you have limited battery capacity. But for a lot of people these animations are the marker for advanced technology (just like the blinking lights on the computer in War Games).

I didn't know a lot about linux when I bought a pandora still dont know much, it's not required at all. If you're stuck people on this forum are more than willing to help.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've not used a Debian live image myself - what DE does it drop you into?  I'd assume it'd be Gnome 3, while the Pyra will use XFCE or LXQT last time I heard - both of those DEs use the traditional desktop metaphor, using a menu as the initial graphical application launcher, while Gnome 3 uses a search box type system to launch apps for the first time.  It's also a lot more heavyweight, taking CPU cycles to do pointless animations and such like, but I guess once you've launched an application in either it's pretty much equivalent.
 https://www.debian.org/CD/live/

Is a live image suitable for me? Here are some things to consider that will help you decide.

• Launcher: In addition to text and GUI install options in the boot menu, the desktop flavors contain a launcher on the desktop that can be used to install while running the live image.
  • Flavors: The live images come in "flavors", four providing the desktop environments GNOME, KDE, LXDE and Xfce, and two text console flavors: rescue and standard. Many users will find these initial package selections suitable, installing any additional packages they need from the network afterwards.
  • Architecture: Only images for the two most popular architectures, 32-bit PC (i386) and 64-bit PC (amd64), are currently provided.
  • Size: Each image is much smaller than the full set of CD/DVD images, but larger than the network install media. If you are installing from optical media, the standard and rescue images will fit on a CD, whereas the others require a DVD. If you are installing from a USB key, only LXDE, Xfce, standard and rescue will fit on a 1G device, whereas the others require a larger key.
  • Languages: The images do not contain a complete set of language support packages. If you need input methods, fonts and supplemental language packages for your language, you'll need to install these afterwards.

Back