How A Simple Program Can Fuck A Smc !

GattoVicentino

Still Fresh
well...I launched LazyReader (last version) as I do normally..But for the first time I tried to play a tracker music file too (this option is inside LazyReader)..well...I heard a click-croppy sound then all became suddenly light blue...Then I had to reboot the GP32 but it remained with that frozen screen...My last choice was to put the SMC card in my reader connected to the PC...and it says that it is an unformatted drive!! I don´t understand how a simple use of a program could do it with my SMC card..now I am trying to recover data from SMC with some programs and then I´ll have to format the card (and cannot here because a card-reader format is not recognized by the GP32 and I have not gp32 usb cable here..grrrr). Anyone never had that problem or know why it happened?? Is there a way to format the card in FAT12 without gp32 cable to be recognized?

Thanks all...

Hmm... SMCs occasionally do crash. Usually when the GP goes down when its writing something to them, but it has been known to happen at other times too... The best advice I can give you is to scan for errors before reformatting - everything that comes up with be as filexxx.chk ones, but you should be able to work out which files are saves, since directory structure and sizes tend to be preserved if you;re lucky...

Bad luck, though. Hopefully it won;t happen again for a while.

Formatting in Fat12 in Windows is mostly fine - indeed for almost every purpose it is preferable, since Windows formats with a cluster size of 2 kilobytes not 8 (I think) which means if you're using lots of small files, you save a LOT of space. For me, I use the Pacrom format usually since for some reason OS9x crashes for me using a Windows formatted card, but it hasn't always, so try formatting in windows (after scanning for errors if possible) first...

Tobriand posted on Aug 15 2004 at 06:01 PM said:
The best advice I can give you is to...
keep a back-up of your SMC on the computer.

A mirror of what's on your SMC.
That way, when it does crash - you can format the card and upload your stuff again quickly.

Saves routing around to find the things you had on before, and also backs up game saves, and such like.

(if only I followed my own advice) :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back