Smc Trouble

spaceboygp32x

i bought 32mb smc to put rise of the triads on

but while i was copying the card reader disconnected...

my GP32 wont read it

and when i piut it in the card reader win xp treis to format it

RATZ made a program that i use called smc recover (thanks) but you can only use it on 128mb cards

what shall I do

win xp will screw it up if I format it

sPaCe :ph34r:

here are my suggestions, install pac-rom and use smc recover, it's worked everytime for me when i've had smc problems.

maybe try formatting the card in pc link, then using your card reader to transfer the file.

hope it helps. but probably won't

spray posted on Mar 2 2005 at 06:48 PM said:
do you have the original korean fw?

if you load via that there is an option to format the smc, have a little dig around and try that.

yes korean but - pc link wont see the gp32 when that smc is in so i cant format through pc lin or gpmanager

can i format in win 98

if so is it fat 12 i use?

sPaCe

Last edited by a moderator:
you don't need to connect it a pc to format it, the gp32 can format cards all by itself, i think its somewhere in the pc link options, if you say you want to connect but then cancel it will give the option of formatting the smc, I THINK.

like i said above, just have a little poke around the software.

spray posted on Mar 2 2005 at 07:46 PM said:
you don't need to connect it a pc to format it, the gp32 can format cards all by itself, i think its somewhere in the pc link options, if you say you want to connect but then cancel it will give the option of formatting the smc, I THINK.

like i said above, just have a little poke around the software.

thats smc recovery

it doesnt format it

:(

Seraptin posted on Mar 2 2005 at 08:25 PM said:
why not formatting it in windows xp ??
works fine 4 me ....

anyway - took it round to a freinds with 98 - its fine now! yay (see post in rise of the triad post)

thought id wrecked it for a minute

thanks for the help guys :D brilliant as ever!

for future reference - can you format in xp or not??

spaceboygp32x posted on Mar 2 2005 at 09:31 PM said:
Seraptin posted on Mar 2 2005 at 08:25 PM said:
why not formatting it in windows xp ??
works fine 4 me ....

anyway - took it round to a freinds with 98 - its fine now! yay (see post in rise of the triad post)

thought id wrecked it for a minute

thanks for the help guys :D brilliant as ever!

for future reference - can you format in xp or not??
No xp, use slubman's firmware really really nice :D and it has an exellent smc formatting tool :)

Or use slubmans commander, Which is the same firmware in .fxe form, So you can run it as a normal program on the GP32 without flashing your firmware.
Very handy for times like this.

Trooper

trooper posted on Mar 2 2005 at 11:07 PM said:
Or use slubmans commander, Which is the same firmware in .fxe form, So you can run it as a normal program on the GP32 without flashing your firmware.
Very handy for times like this.

Trooper

nice one - that sounds good!

ill check the archive!

I recently got a 128mb SMC. Everytime I start up gp32 manager it tells me that there was an error. Then, I try to format the SMC using the gp32 managers, and it tells me that it timed out. I just can't seem to get it to work. I've been looking through as many posts on this as I could, but everyone says "install some sort of firmware, pac-rom, etc. Do those have to be installed onto the gamepark, or can I do it from my computer? Also, would it be possible to format the card through the slot for it on my PC in windows xp?

Clemz posted on Mar 3 2005 at 04:06 AM said:
I recently got a 128mb SMC. Everytime I start up gp32 manager it tells me that there was an error. Then, I try to format the SMC using the gp32 managers, and it tells me that it timed out. I just can't seem to get it to work. I've been looking through as many posts on this as I could, but everyone says "install some sort of firmware, pac-rom, etc. Do those have to be installed onto the gamepark, or can I do it from my computer? Also, would it be possible to format the card through the slot for it on my PC in windows xp?

I'm not sure, but this sounds more like a drivers issue than a problem with your SMC...

make sure you've got the gamepark USB drivers installed on your computer, then the PC-link program (for your PC) (or there's another one for linux/mac)

and for best results, plug your GP32 into the PC, then switch it on, then go into link-mode (on the gp32) then finally start the link program on your computer.

hope this helps... I honestly don't think it's the card that's the problem...

I can install everything and format my 16mb card(included when I recieved my GP32) just fine. So I don't think it's the drivers.

dunno then. maybe your SMC's just physically dead. it's not impossible. i haven't had any problems with either of my 128 meg ones... did it ever work?

I'm assuming so. My friend gave it to me, I guess he used it for his mp3 player (seeing as it had a few mp3s on it). I deleted everything from it. It worked fine for him I guess. Maybe my GP32 just doesn't like it.

Edit - I formatted the card in Windows XP (Command Prompt, FORMAT H:, H: being the slot the card was in). Then place the card back into my GP32 and tried the PC-Link again. Same errors. "there was an error in GP32 during process." and "timed out!"

try formatting it with that slubman FXE mentioned earlier in the thread... then at least you won't need to change your firmware. :)

For future reference, don't ever use the Windows XP format tool to format it with.

Either format it using another card (one that works with your gp32) that has Slubman Commander on it, or if you have a card reader (looks like you don't), you can use http://l33t.spod.org/ratx/gp32/smcrecover.zip (only works with a card reader and a 128mb card. Do not try it on any other kind of card, and don't try it with anything other than a card reader).

Blah posted on Mar 3 2005 at 05:27 AM said:
For future reference, don't ever use the Windows XP format tool to format it with.

Either format it using another card (one that works with your gp32) that has Slubman Commander on it, or if you have a card reader (looks like you don't), you can use http://l33t.spod.org/ratx/gp32/smcrecover.zip (only works with a card reader and a 128mb card. Do not try it on any other kind of card, and don't try it with anything other than a card reader).

thats the same proble as me...

its not dead - its a bad format - thats all!

do you have access to a win 98 machine? - if so you just need a card reader (ebuyer has em for £1) and format it in win 98...

or use smc recover - its great for 128mb cards!

if your still stuck PM me - if you pay the return postage ill do it for you!

If people with 16/32/64 meg SMC's PM me or whatever I can explain how they can make an image so smcrecover.zip can support them in future. Or it might be possible for me to make one using one of the 'makesmc' utilties - not looked into it...

Back