hostname ideas

Winter Holly

Turbo-Dweeb
Beep!

This human names our computers, for easy reference. For example, our laptop is named "Aces" and our phone is named "Blueberry Daydream." We intend to buy a Pyra when we have enough money to do so, but don't know what name to give it, so we thought to entertain ourself and hopefully help others considering what to name theirs, by opening up a thread on this topic. Bam! So far, our list of ideas includes:

PokeCom
Bad Dragon
Good Dragon
Fenghuang, Phoenix, something along those lines
Debbie
Klinker
Boxbot
Joey
Acet (We had a notebook named "Acer," then "Aces," and this would be the logical next name.)
RIS (reference to a webcomic named Cucumber Quest)
Clam Buddy

We'd like to have decided by whatever time we get our paws on the thing, so we don't stare at the screen for hours trying to decide what to set the hostname to. :$

Boop!

i think my pandora's host name is pandora because i was in a hurry when i had to reflash it :$ my laptops are all named after characters from books/games i like :) my pyra will probably be either called "eliwood" (fire emblem) or "monokuma" (danganronpa).

RIS (reference to a webcomic named Cucumber Quest)
if you're accepting votes, i'd vote for this one since i've just started reading cucumber quest and it's awesome :D

The names I am useing are:

W-Lan:Miraculix (Getafix in english)
PC: Obelix
486er PC for electronic related work (run old programmer,...): Methusalix (Geriatrix in english)
Tablet: Asterix
Raspberry: Idefix (Dogmatix in english)

For the Pyra I'll chose from one of these:
Troubadix(Cacofonix), Verleihnix(Unhygienix), Automatix(Fulliautomatix), Mayestix (Vitalstatistix), Gutemiene(Impedimenta) or Falbala(Panacea)

mine aren't very rooted in fanciful histories... they're usually tied to the device and part of my real name:

lonovo
wagmac
nucol

i suppose my pyra could be

lucapyra
pyralo
pyraliver
pyragner

That's a good question. My desktop is an Arch Linux named Starchy; my laptop is Stantop; my phone is Standroid; Pandora is Standora. What can I name the Pyra? Stanyra? Styra? Pystan?

My first naming scheme (which was for hard disc partition labels actually) was Winnie the Pooh characters, but I ran out rather quickly. These days I don't label my partitions, but I just use animal species - my Pandora is 'baboon' (which actually seems to be a family of species, but never mind).

I named my computers:
Alpha [Laptop]
Beta [Pc - Win7 HD]
Gamma [Pc - Arch Linux HD]

Needless to say I ran out of names
And now I need to also think of a name for my pyra when I get one!:mad:

there are a few more greek letters after that....

(delta, epsilon, etc...)
I was going after the three types of radioation - Alpha, Beta, Gamma.

But Thanks for the help!

I feel dumb now for not thinking of that +o(

Will be the same as my Pandora, as I'm giving that to a friend. TERMINAL-BMRF-8. Yes, that is a Half-Life reference.

The names I am useing are:

W-Lan:Miraculix (Getafix in english)
PC: Obelix
486er PC for electronic related work (run old programmer,...): Methusalix (Geriatrix in english)
Tablet: Asterix
Raspberry: Idefix (Dogmatix in english)

For the Pyra I'll chose from one of these:
Troubadix(Cacofonix), Verleihnix(Unhygienix), Automatix(Fulliautomatix), Mayestix (Vitalstatistix), Gutemiene(Impedimenta) or Falbala(Panacea)

Why didn't I think of this.. I probably should consider changing to Asterix characters for a fresh outlook. The Router can be called Cacofonix because the wifi is singing the annoying voice of it's people.

Cacofonix (Troubadix) would only be good for a intermittent working router.
(Get instantly silenced after starting to sing ;) )

I choose Miraculix (Getafix) because of the ability to use his wisdom to hold everyone together and enable all to lock the roman empere out ;)

Am I the only one without any imagination? I just wanted to call it "Agricola's Pyra" or something like that, exchanging Agricola with my real name. Haven't done it any differently with my other computers :$

It does seem to be something of a nerd tradition to name machines on an unrelated scheme - I think the first time I came against it was at university where the machines were names after late '70s and '80s formula 1 drivers - Senna always seemed faster than Prost despite them all being thin clients onto the same machine.

So if you don't feel a need to name your machines against the set of world dictators or something, you can at least take from that fact that you're probably not a nerd.

So if you don't feel a need to name your machines against the set of world dictators or something, you can at least take from that fact that you're probably not a nerd.
If the building of nerdom crumbles to pieces when its inhabitants can't give their computers names on an unrelated scheme, then I sure am happy not to be part of this club.

Oh wait, it doesn't. You just have a very strange definition of what a nerd is.

To elaborate on why I don't do that: I pretty much grew up in my mother's office. Her computers were all given simple names so all admins could be interchangeable and even new admins had no problem with understanding the network's structure (at least in theory). They were all named either by which employee worked on that machine or, if that changed often, by their physical location. Even after I moved out and only administrate my own home network now, I still do that out of habit and never saw a reason to change it.

Back