Horror Of Horrors!

b1ueskycomp1ex

Open Sauce Fanatic & AMD Fanboy
Website
https
It's also what bad photography looks like. As you can clearly (uhh, sort of.) see, once the wiz gets a crack of any size in the screen, the pixels slowly start to rot away and die.

sspx1318.jpg

sspx1320.jpg

sspx1321.jpg

sspx1322z.jpg

sspx1328.jpg

This can also happen if there's a defect in the screen to begin with.

SO REMEMBER KIDS:
Keep your Wiz in a case
Use protection
Don't drop your wiz
Don't open your wiz case unless you feel you absolutely MUST.

That is all.

It's funny, going by other images on Google, it looks like they have a pattern of decay.
20gl6oh.jpg

Same rectangular pixel death on the right side.

Anyway, OLED's sure are beautiful but don't last long, makes me glad the Caanoo opted for a larger LCD screen.

RupeeClock said:
It's funny, going by other images on Google, it looks like they have a pattern of decay.

Same rectangular pixel death on the right side.

Anyway, OLED's sure are beautiful but don't last long, makes me glad the Caanoo opted for a larger LCD screen.

It just so happens I think that the wiz is using much cheaper components than other devices making use of OLED technology. For a handheld device, it's not very durable. Once the 16th rolls around if I still have pixels left I just want to try out the playstation emulator. After that I plan on disassembling my wiz and taking a look at the innards (which I may have done before....)

I wonder if anyone would be willing to buy my wiz for parts, at a modest price?

Last edited by a moderator:
All this OLED death makes me think, if it's possible to get user-replaceable or warranty-replaceable LCD screens for the Wiz.

Shame to think that in a few years time, all Wizs with original screens will be unusable without TV-out.

RupeeClock said:
All this OLED death makes me think, if it's possible to get user-replaceable or warranty-replaceable LCD screens for the Wiz.

Shame to think that in a few years time, all Wizs with original screens will be unusable without TV-out.

Yeah, it just so happens I jumped into open source handhelds with the wiz. I probably would've been better off getting a second hand GP2X

RupeeClock said:

Is there a lot of evidence of mass OLED failure that leads you to believe that it will just degrade until unusable after a few years?

Crookedmouth said:
RupeeClock said:

Is there a lot of evidence of mass OLED failure that leads you to believe that it will just degrade until unusable after a few years?

OLED means Organic Light Emitting Display.
The organic component decays over time regardless of how well you keep the system, they're doomed to a limited lifespan.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organic_LED#Disadvantages

• Lifespan: The biggest technical problem for OLEDs was the limited lifetime of the organic materials.[sup][55][/sup] In particular, blue OLEDs historically have had a lifetime of around 14,000 hours to half original brightness (five years at 8 hours a day) when used for flat-panel displays. This is lower than the typical lifetime of LCD, LED or PDP technology—each currently rated for about 60,000 hours to half brightness, depending on manufacturer and model. However, some manufacturers displays aim to increase the lifespan of OLED displays, pushing their expected life past that of LCD displays by improving light outcoupling, thus achieving the same brightness at a lower drive current.[sup][56][/sup][sup][57][/sup] In 2007, experimental OLEDs were created which can sustain 400 cd/m[sup]2[/sup] of luminance for over 198,000 hours for green OLEDs and 62,000 hours for blue OLEDs.[sup][58][/sup]

The Wiz is only a year old and some people here have apparently had the pixel plague already.

GPH have said they moved back to LCDs because of a high number of OLED failures.

I don't think you will see this tech in the Pandora for a good few years yet, it seems it needs to become stable, I wonder if they can do anything about stopping them dying... I don't like the idea of that happening after a few years, it seems sort of sad to think they would all die and there could be no working historical examples in the future. Weird.

craigix said:
GPH have said they moved back to LCDs because of a high number of OLED failures.

I don't think you will see this tech in the Pandora for a good few years yet, it seems it needs to become stable, I wonder if they can do anything about stopping them dying... I don't like the idea of that happening after a few years, it seems sort of sad to think they would all die and there could be no working historical examples in the future. Weird.

Well, what way is there for organic, carbon based things to not eventually decay really?
It's the flaw of OLED displays, fine if you're talking mobile phones, they get exchanged and recycled all the time, but not so good for keepsake electronics.

I doubt somehow GPH payed for premium OLED screens, something tells me they just went cheap on that ...

Well crap. :)

Makes me not want to purchase another console from GPH.

Edit: Damn it, I just watched some videos of first impressions of the Cannoo and must admit that it looks great.

Crookedmouth said:
Well crap. :)

Makes me not want to purchase another console from GPH.

Edit: Damn it, I just watched some videos of first impressions of the Cannoo and must admit that it looks great.

All GPH needs to stop doing is making handhelds with the same flaws OVER AND OVER AGAIN.

It just so happens the wiz was the most flawed of all GP/GPH handhelds.

Next time I'm waiting longer before jumping in. Like waiting on the pandora to be tweaked a little better. I don't think I'd go for the caanoo this time around. Unless of course after a few months it becomes this amazing device that surpasses the wiz. Or to a lesser extent just waiting a few months to see which parts of the caanoo break after being used for a while.

It's funny that when buying items like this I usually wait a few years and buy old tech like I did with the Nintendo DS and the GBA before that. The Wiz was the first time I ever broke that rule of thumb. As much as I enjoy using it, now after reading this I see that it is just a matter of time before it becomes useless. I know that GPH will not offer an LCD replacement because they are already on to the Cannoo. It just pisses me off. I guess I should try to forget it and try to enjoy the fantastic releases from the competition while it lasts.

b1ueskycomp1ex said:
All GPH needs to stop doing is making handhelds with the same flaws OVER AND OVER AGAIN.

It just so happens the wiz was the most flawed of all GP/GPH handhelds.

Next time I'm waiting longer before jumping in. Like waiting on the pandora to be tweaked a little better. I don't think I'd go for the caanoo this time around. Unless of course after a few months it becomes this amazing device that surpasses the wiz. Or to a lesser extent just waiting a few months to see which parts of the caanoo break after being used for a while.

I'm sorry but I can't find a single flaw on my Caanoo. And mark my words, I've been looking for them.

This is making me very nervous to turn my Wiz on again. Its been in a drawer for a few months .. I wonder if that is actually helping to prolong its life, or not ..

torpor said:
This is making me very nervous to turn my Wiz on again. Its been in a drawer for a few months .. I wonder if that is actually helping to prolong its life, or not ..

I don't think so. The faults we see are problems due to defective display seals. When the seal is not locked probably pollution takes plays and bacterias can decompose the organic components. I guess many faults happened shortly after production. So the pollution already takes place in the factory. Some people here say the problems begun after mechanical/chemical damage. I guess this is the major problem...

BTW: Anybody RTFM?

There is a lifetime (warranty) in control panel and OLED back light
of WIZ. If OLED starts flickering or dims down, call
Consumer Services...

Of course this is technically incorrect: OLED's have no back lights...

RupeeClock said:

All the people I know with this problem, were in warranty and obtained a free new console from GPH or distributor. They are a small percentage of the cases. There is a A/S Technical Service in Germany where GPH users can write (as-europe@gp2x.com).

OLED screen are a bit more delicate and slim, but also needs less energy. In my oppinion, mixing OLED + touch panel is very risky, and maybe some batch of screen were defective sealed. My Wiz screen (is from the first batch) is OK and has no dead pixels. I cross my fingers anyway. :rolleyes:

Back