Stuck & Dead Pixels Help!

Well, the screen on my Wiz has now decided to start dying, too.

What's worrying is this: I Received it in May 2009 (from EvilDragon's shop) and it was really fine until about a month ago, then quite suddenly dead pixels started appearing and multiplying.

Now it looks like this:
20gl6oh.jpg

3533977.jpg

I wonder if it's a problem with cold temperatures since it started in the Winter. perhaps the Wiz display can't handle temperatures below 0? I had it with me in my coat pocket when I went outside and I guess it can get pretty cold in there.

In any case, the Wiz display does not seem to be long term stable to me, which makes me not look forward to receiving my replacement Wiz, because I fear that one will eventually break, too. And probably after the warranty period has expired...

I'm starting to have dead pixels too all over but still playable. I bought from ebay so no warranty. I kept it it my bag so maybe pressure causes it, I do use the GPH leather case. Luckily GPH is coming with a new system end of this year 2010, I heard it's Wiz with an LCD screen. So I'll get that instead. In 2 years, I can get this oled Wiz on ebay for under $75.

Edit: screen image posted.

9lesd0.jpg

That looks bad get a replacement unit or a refund. I am ready to buy one of the last few remaining units but am now having second thoughts, there might not be any replacement units left if this problem occurs on my wiz. Is this problem with the early units or with random Wizzes. How do the dead pixels actually spread like that?

Hirolaser said:
That looks bad get a replacement unit or a refund. I am ready to buy one of the last few remaining units but am now having second thoughts, there might not be any replacement units left if this problem occurs on my wiz. Is this problem with the early units or with random Wizzes. How do the dead pixels actually spread like that?
If you look at these you will notice the "dead pixels" are actually round blobs. It looks to me like the layer that makes the light is delaminating or oxidizing or something. I imagine that could be caused by pressure and/or drastic temperature changes but not sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
@DaveC Pressure and changes in temp, that makes sense, so I guess it's my fault. :eek: but I bet other AMOLED on smartphones are more durable than Wiz's.

rsuryase said:
@DaveC Pressure and changes in temp, that makes sense, so I guess it's my fault. :eek: but I bet other AMOLED on smartphones are more durable than Wiz's.
Maybe this screen is just more sensitive to it I don't know.

The screen used in the Wiz is the absolute cheapest screen of its type available. The failure rate on them is huge. That's part of the reason that the Canoo uses LCD again.

We did look at OLED screens for the Pandora but they are just not good enough yet and wildly expensive. I'm sure the technology will improve though.

rsuryase said:
Organic really means organic, the dead pixels is spreading like cancerous cells.
2938r2c.jpg

Uggghhhh!!! Good-god that's a horror show, I'm so glad I didn't get a Wiz now.

rsuryase said:
Organic really means organic, the dead pixels is spreading like cancerous cells.

wow, you can almost hear the little oled munchers going omnomnomnom

I think someone should do a wiz screen sticky covering properties of oled screens and give advice on avoiding issues like screen burns and pixel plague as quite a few members have had these problems.

This just started happening for me. I've had the wiz since october 2009, so it's pretty random. No temp change or pressure that I know of. I bought mine on thinkgeek. Sad day, any suggestions?

I got the same problem and they (HG) changed it for a new one. They said that if your wiz have 3 dead pixels of more the warranty covers it. I think you must contact ThinkGeek.

Sorry for my poor english.

I'm really not looking forward to this happening to mine (It seems inevitable). I just hope I already have the Caanoo before it starts.

I sent my unit to GPH in Korea to be fixed, I should receive it back in 2-3 weeks. Yay nice of GPH.

Nova said:
I'm really not looking forward to this happening to mine (It seems inevitable). I just hope I already have the Caanoo before it starts.

I've had mine longer than yours and it's still going strong so maybe they don't always fail :)?

Peter R said:
Nova said:

I've had mine longer than yours and it's still going strong so maybe they don't always fail :) ?
Mine is from November 2008 (time flies what the hell) and the screen still looks perfect. Could it be because I didn't really use it very much? Those photos above look awful, wow :blink:

Yea how much you use it influences a lot, i play my wiz for hours at times. While others are playing Wii/XBOX360/PS3, i'm playing my Wiz.

Hats off to GPH and UPS. USPS took 5 days to deliver to GPH in Korea using Global Priority Mail. GPH took 1 day to fix my Wiz and UPS Saver took 2 days to deliver back to me. I mailed it on Monday and got it back the week after on Tuesday. This is fast service.

Back