Holy Shit, Robots!

Super... a FuteCop multi player remake!
I Played the PC version in SP and of course the great multi player part. Especially the split screen mode was cool. Are also willing to make a split screen view, so that we can play it with two gamepads? -I don't know how it would fit on pandoras screen. Anyway, go on with this great game, its worth to become ported!
I wish you good luck.
Best wishes,
Tobse

Hey tobs, I had an idea for tank in your game :D ... will it fit with your vision?
tanky_test.jpg

Attachments

• tanky_test.jpg
    tanky_test.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 115
trailorpark, very nice model! I like that "cute" style a lot!

I did the turrents in 4 upgrade versions. I'll try to improve them further on..

show.php?id=2089.png

Attachments

• show.php?id=2089.png
    show.php?id=2089.png
    62.5 KB · Views: 125
as I said, I really like your cannon traylorpark :D

I redid the turrents to give them a more consistent design, much better than the old ones I think.

show.php?id=2122.png

What is your status Tobs? Can we test some of the models? Any news on the shaders you wanted to write?

Attachments

• show.php?id=2122.png
    show.php?id=2122.png
    53.4 KB · Views: 120
@Traylorpark: Awesome little tank cannon thing, taking inspiration from Ghost in the Shell's tachikomas?

@Zapman: Your turrets look really cool! Only thing is, they need to also be able to shoot below or above them (not much, maybe abour 30º each way?). Also, we can add any type of bullet/missile/railgun/whatever munition, so you could have say machine gun turrets or missile racks or whatever kind of weapon you can think of!
As for the shaders, they didn't really work out =[ I'm trying more now, but it's quite difficult since GL ES shader language doesn't have the same support in shader designers that normal GLSL does.
Also, I added some basic aerial defense units which work quite well at flying around defending bases... gameplay wise, this is coming along nicely =]
Next to work on, I think, is the shaders and the bullets, I'm getting bored of looking at a plain blue thing ^^

I'll be on Skype all weekend if you want to send me some models, and I'll get them in the game!

Tobs

Hey Tobs ... just to let you know, I'm refining the model a bit, so I'll email it to you soon.
I'm taking some time off from 3D for the weekend ... its cherry blossom season here, and Shibuya is hopping

I just wanted to quickly say I LOVE the game title. I would pay cash money just to play a game with that title.

I will fix the cannons geometry that they can tilt the cannons a few degree Tobs.

How about this flyer type?

show.php?id=2241.png

I imagine that inside the glass bulb a yellow flickering glow wire will be placed (animated transparent png). Also some transparent exhaust planes will be animated underneath the turbine ;) Ok or already too cartoonish?

Attachments

• show.php?id=2241.png
    show.php?id=2241.png
    17.1 KB · Views: 113
elinscheid said:
I just wanted to quickly say I LOVE the game title. I would pay cash money just to play a game with that title.

+over 9000

Last edited by a moderator:
tobs, what kind of texture size are you thinking of, perhaps for the player character tank/robots?

I keep thinking about this funny fake commercial:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/2340/saturday-night-live-old-glory

Holy Shit, I need robot insurance!

tanky1_front.jpg

Here we go ... its a tanky! I thought it needed a bit more detail around the feet area. Honestly, I'm not huge on texturing details, so I baked a AO map and carefully chose some colors.
Tobs? Yes?

I'll probably kick the white splotches on the texture.
*edit - did just that!

Here, you can download the .blend file and the PSD texture. I left it PSD so it can be converted and edited by anybody in any way they wish.
Feel like you can do a better texture? Go ahead and take a crack at it :)

Attachments

• tanky1_front.jpg
    tanky1_front.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 102
@Zapman: Cool =] I really like the body and the guns, but the bulb on top might be awkward to animate (semi-transparancy is super annoying...) Maybe a big fan or something instead, like your hovertank? Near perfect otherwise, it'll fit in really well with the AI I'm working on!
@Traylorpark: It's awesome! That bold colour scheme and lack of detail will look great I think =] Only thing is, I've no idea how it could be animated for aiming/shooting. Don't suppose you feel like giving it a missile rack instead of a cannon? I can make the missile shoot up and then towards the target. Maybe something small could be affixed to the sides?
As for texture size, probably 128^2 or 256^2 for none playable units, and then maybe 512^2 for the player's robot, since you'll be looking at his ass all the time ^^ Of course, the current models don't have much detail and that looks great, so really it's whatever gives the best size to prettiness ratio.

I decided to give up on shaders for now. I half got it working in GLSL, but ES2.0's GLSL drops quite a few features, so it'll be easiest to just write it on the pandora, especially since currently shader tools suck for ES support =[
Now I'm going to add a few weapons: missile (a few different types maybe), machine gun, beam laser thing, plasma cannon
and try to make the engine more GLES 2.0 capable.

Hey Tobs! so there is this thing on the back of the model, I could modify that to be a rocket launcher kind of thing ... would that work? You could keep the cannon for direct shots and rockets for indirect? I'm interested to know what you mean by animated, as in, what kind of movements and animations are needed? The robot could be animated to aim both up and down when controlled to do so, however, that might require a skeletal animation system ... any interest in that? Are you gonna keep things mostly static?

Holy crap I haven't checked here for ages! Apologies, it's assignment submission month!
Currently I've got MD5 files loading and displaying, skeletal animation included.
If you want to animate it, that'd be awesome. Maybe an animation for just speeding along, one for turning, one for aiming, then one of it recoiling after it fired its cannon? How about for added cuteness, after it fires it sort of shakes in recoil, like a dog does when it's wet, or you throw a blanket over its eyes...

Heh, no worries ... its been difficult for me to reach my computer recently, for other reasons.
Yeah, animations ... I'd be psyched to some! What frame rate are you going to be aiming for?

In the mean time, to give robot at bit more versatility in what it can do ... I changed the thing on the back to rocket launcher, nice for ranged attacks. Think it works? Good luck with the assignments!
tanky_test2.jpg

Attachments

• tanky_test2.jpg
    tanky_test2.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 103
Have not followed this project for a while, but i want to say i really like the direction this is going :)

How about for added cuteness, after it fires it sort of shakes in recoil, like a dog does when it's wet, or you throw a blanket over its eyes...
Evil Aibo! niiiice...

Edit: small grammar/spelling

hey tobs,

can you check out this blend file? turrent2.blend

It's a test file to see if I'm doing the animation right. I added a very simple armature to the 2nd turrent. One bone controls the body of the turrent, the other bone.001 inherits the rotation of the first bone and sets the angle of the cannon. I did 2 poses for this: one for the rotation of the base (bone) and one pose for the angle of the cannon (bone.001) (both animations have 360frames).

Can you make use of this set up when you export mesh+armature to MD5? Not sure if I'm doing this correctly.

Cheers,

-zapman

Back