Hey, whats OpenPandora doing on this page?

I've got a burning question, who is this person?, and where did they get a pandora from?, lucky sod!

Hey, I'm the one who published this article. I wanted to answer two of the points you guys mentioned:

1. I included the OpenPandora because it has a pretty high-res screen. I think it compares well to stuff like the Sony tablet.

2. I believe the picture looks blurry because the OpenPandora has a slight anti-glare coating on the screen. This makes the individual pixels look less clear, but it makes the screen itself look better, in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
A strinking difference indeed.

AFAIR the Pandora screen is the same model used in the Archos 501 back then, so it is technically behind the generations it gets compared to quite a few years. But yeah, being on the forefront technologically has never been a design goal, nor a possibility.

There are no billions of Dollars for R&D and the huge staff and lots of equipment to pull it off like the big boys. Geez, it has been made possible, I'm typing on a Pandora, can't type on vapor, and it turned out everything it wanted to be.

In the end comparisons like the one linked show that there is a lack of understanding of the oPa project.

Duh, strike that, reading thread helps, author is already present ;)

In the end comparisons like the one linked show that there is a lack of understanding of the oPa project.
The intention of the article isn't to say "look how bad the OpenPandora looks compared to the new iPad". I added the OpenPandora because I think its resolution compares favorably to many other recent devices.

so... the pixels aren't simple square ?! Well... there's always to learn...

Very interesting, thank you Lukas for your time.

Anyway the Pandora image scared me !! :lol:

Would it be hard to try again on the OpenPandora with the brightness turned up? It seems relatively dim compared to the others - which would result in your camera shifting the relative ISO, etc...

Also - since you seem to have a knack for these, have you ever had a chance to take a microscope shot of a Pixel-Qi screen?

Pretty cool stuff!

Would it be hard to try again on the OpenPandora with the brightness turned up?  It seems relatively dim compared to the others - which would result in your camera shifting the relative ISO, etc...

Also - since you seem to have a knack for these, have you ever had a chance to take a microscope shot of a Pixel-Qi screen?
OK, I'll try taking another picture of the OpenPandora tomorrow.

As for the Qi, I've never seen one in person. If I ever get my hands on one, the first thing I'll do is put it under the microscope, though :)

Would it be hard to try again on the OpenPandora with the brightness turned up? It seems relatively dim compared to the others - which would result in your camera shifting the relative ISO, etc...

OK, I'll try taking another picture of the OpenPandora tomorrow.
The brightness didn't go up much further than in the picture on the site. I've attached the new picture at max brightness. One other thing I could try would be to take a picture in a completely dark room, since the anti-glare coating probably reflects outside light, and makes the screen look a bit washed out. I'll try doing that later.

OpenPandora (max brightness).jpg

Interesting! I didn't think the anti-glare coating would make that much of a difference on the Pandora but it obviously does if you can even photograph it.

Thanks for sharing Lukas :)

Yeah, it's pretty funny. I can focus the microscope a little bit above the pixels, and suddenly, the structure of the anti-glare coating comes into focus.

OpenPandora Coating.jpg

but, if you actually reduce the brightness on the pandora so the lines between pixels get more darker, doesn't the contrast make pixels get more focus ? (I know nothing about photography anyway, so this can be stupid to say)

but, if you actually reduce the brightness on the pandora so the lines between pixels get more darker, doesn't the contrast make pixels get more focus ? (I know nothing about photography anyway, so this can be stupid to say)

You're right that having less contrast between the pixels and the lines between them will make the photo look better (the bigger the difference between the brightest and darkest parts of the picture, the less detail there is in the very dark and very bright areas). However, in this case, having brighter pixels will make them more prominent, compared to the antiglare coating, so it's a trade-off.

Back