Hero: The Realm (Demo Available)

u9i said:
Hi,

The game looks really nice, and the controls seem very polished. A few comments. First thing i'm presented with is Press start. The Caanoo doesn't have a start button, so of course I pressed wrong and quit the game. Another thing is the use of the X button as "yes." This is very PS3, but the de-facto standard on GP2X consoles has been B for a very long time. You can even see this in the Caanoo's own menu. So I recommend using B as the "yes" button. I also found it strange that A was the sword button, instead of B, but you included an option for that, which is really the best thing to do. People can choose :)

Will there be any dialog in the game? Any story etc.? I noticed a few characters as which seemed very lively as I passed them, but they didn't say anything.

And now my girlfriend has taken the game and I didn't get it back. But that is probably the best indication that it is a good game :)

/Uni

Well my control map is always in the instruction sheet! (I realise some people may skim it)

Out my own decision making X button will always be the main action or selection button. It just seems more natural to me, and don't most caanoo softwares use X as the Yes button anyway? I think people are moving that way despite the Caanoo menu itself using X as a back button.

However you are right about [1] and [2] not actually labelled as Start buttons. But, for example all the Caanoo emulators use these as Start buttons, I have no idea why you pressed Home in your example? It's a Quit button and takes you to the Caanoo menu and that's always. In light of what you say I may make the start page read "PRESS [1] OR [2] TO START". That is good practice, also.

I'm really glad you and your girlfriend like the game! Thanks for that comment :)

BAFelton said:
Points that could be improved for more fun :

- dialogs with people
- increase difficulty (too easy, maybe too many hearts given), a "perfect" can be done easily (but it's 1st stage, wait and see)

Don't know about the use of dialogs still. Perhaps something though...

You are absolutely right about the difficulty level. I'm kicking myself for rewarding the player so much in terms of heart points! I never had the idea of making it really tough for some reason. Good game design must present the player with a challenge, and loss condition as in "not dying", blah, blah - anyway, I think I've overlooked. I'll see to that right away, so thanks.

Akabei: Thank you. I feel the thread was harsh in places too! It's cool to get a really positive post :)

As for the sprites, in my mind I could make a change or two. But I don't feel it's imperative to change too much of the game graphics.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no idea now how long it may be before I have all the levels finished, I'm just very busy.

Only I may release a demo v2 in light of the flaws in the first demo, plus some game improvements I won't mention yet.

Back