Hero: The Realm Beta

Squarefish

Still Fresh
Hero: The Realm is a side-scrolling hack 'n' slash platform adventure by Squarefish Games, made exclusively for Caanoo and Wiz handheld consoles, and published by Black Curtain Studio.

"The Realm was once peaceful. But the Dark One is turning the creature inhabitants into rabid monsters, who turn on the humans.
As the King's first knight you are sent on a quest to rid the land of the evil plague. The Dark One's minions will try and stop him at every turn."

The game is set over 100 levels as you battle through 8 differing stages, and changing environments, which include many types of enemy.

presentation_sheet_hero.png

Publisher's Page : http://www.blackcurtainstudio.com/blackcurtain/herotherealm.php

Facebook for Squarefish Games : https://www.facebook.com/pages/Squarefish-Games/203702943007175

Please use this thread for discussion, bug reporting, technical support - even ideas and things you want to see in the game.

great, just simply fantastic! good music (short but fun) and good 2D graphics; ;)
but there are a lot of things I'd like to have in this game;
First, more attacking moves for the main character, there's only one in the current version... :(
for example, when the character is about to fall from top could hit the ground with his sword...
There are many varieties of enemies, good the enemy AI, there are some puzzles...
here, I'd like to have more puzzles to solve and maybe boss or save points (for non lose all the data)
however, great game, really well done but with a little something that might make it even better. :)
and the music are very short and a bit repetetive :unsure:
EDIT:Excuse me for my bad english too :lol:

Received the demo tonight and played it to the end.
Tried it on FW 1.0.6 and FW 1.6 and had no problems with both of them, nor speed difference.

It's only a beta, so I don't know if what I'm writing is to be changed or not (sorry for my english ;) )

Good points :

- it's really playable, no problem with the character. He jumps and attacks with no delay

- the graphics are good (I love Wonder Boy ^^)

- nice to find shops and doors who lead to other levels

- I like the possibility to change controls

Possible improvements :

1) I think it's too easy for the moment. Enemies are quite slow so they're not really dangerous. Even if you're hit, it's hard to die ^^ Perhaps they don't inflict enough damage or perhaps we have too much hearts ?

2) Could you add the "swoosh" sound when I attack and the sound of falling gold ?

3) It would be nice to have dialog box with the people we meet, just a word like "go on, and fight !! ^^

4) Will there be secret doors ? Secret coins ?

EDIT : agree with Kayuz, short music :(

First off, well done, the game feels very polished, graphics are great and the walking/jumping physics feel just right :)

A few (minor) things I noticed. Apologies for the photo quality!

1.) Trying to keep walking in to the walls of ledges results in some screen jitter - this would be fine, but isn't consistent at all. It never happens in the indoor scenes, but does outside, although only on certain sections. In the picture below, walking in to the left hand "wall" jitters the screen, but not when you try the same thing on the right hand side.

jitter.jpg

2.) The hero's hair and sword go through ceilings. Not really an issue, but it looks pretty weird when there's a pillar there too:

pillar.jpg

3.) Exiting from the options menu seems to result in the game starting automatically, like it's a bit overly sensitive to the button press. I thought it might be hardware related, but I don't seem to have the problem in any other game.

4.) Gameplay wise, it's probably a bit unfair to comment on a beta version, but if the enemies re-spawn every time you revisit a screen, it will be very easy to quickly accumulate a lot of money/health, just by jumping between screens with weak enemies.

Thanks for all the comments, gripes and suggestions.

Already I have done the following:

Solved exit from menu options bug
Taken out monster respawning after death
Solved screen jitter when walking into walls bug
Foreground graphics now mask player character
Collision detection now slightly tougher on the player (for example, getting close to enemies)
Tougher penalities for hits from enemies
Enemies are not blinking until actually dying

I'm hoping for someone to redesign the music, along the same lines, but longer tunes also.

The best thing is I've added the Bat monster/creature, and included it in the first levels. Perhaps a surprise in store for the demo too!

Answering Geko - the full version of Hero: The Realm will be available on Black Curtain Studio shop link in above post.

Just to let you know, the demo version with the 2 first "stages" will be released very soon!

List of changes:

Now longer music loops and sounds a lot better
Shop! Full shop system where you can spend gold pieces
Save game possible in shops and continue option from main menu
Cleared up any other strange annoyances or control issues
Added a small noise for use of knight's sword
Added a small unlock noise for opening the chest

Back