Hero: The Realm (Demo Available)

Squarefish

Still Fresh
This is a pre-release demo.

herotherealm_website_2.png

http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/caanoo.cgi?0,0,0,0,22,719

"The Realm was once peaceful. But the Dark One is turning the creature inhabitants into rabid monsters, who turn on the humans. As the King's first knight you are sent on a quest to rid the land of the evil plague. The Dark One's minions will try and stop you at every turn."

The full game is set over 100 levels as you battle through 8 differing stages, and changing environments, which include many types of enemy and end-of-level guardians!

Official Game Page

Squarefish said:
This is a pre-release demo.

herotherealm_website_2.png

http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/caanoo.cgi?0,0,0,0,22,719

"The Realm was once peaceful. But the Dark One is turning the creature inhabitants into rabid monsters, who turn on the humans. As the King's first knight you are sent on a quest to rid the land of the evil plague. The Dark One's minions will try and stop you at every turn."

The full game is set over 100 levels as you battle through 8 differing stages, and changing environments, which include many types of enemy and end-of-level guardians!

Official Game Page
It is a very fun game but doesnt work with tv out. Any chance that may be added?

Last edited by a moderator:
It is a very fun game but doesnt work with tv out. Any chance that may be added?

I haven't had a chance to test it with tv out. I half-expected it to work no problem.

What I am considering is buying a tv out cable, so probably will do that and make it tv-out compliant.

Can you please report what "dosent work" means for now? Thanks.

;) wonderful! i hope there also the bosses :)
and I am very grateful for be a beta tester of this game ;)

Although I am happy to see new software for the Caanoo, may it be freeware or commercial, this game just copies too much from "Wonderboy in Monsterland". It shouldn't be an offense or so, but when the graphics have to be done from scratch anyway, why not putting in own essences?

Kojote said:
Although I am happy to see new software for the Caanoo, may it be freeware or commercial, this game just copies too much from "Wonderboy in Monsterland". It shouldn't be an offense or so, but when the graphics have to be done from scratch anyway, why not putting in own essences?

I just did some image searches for "Wonderboy In Monster Land" and to be honest I cannot see any huge similarites between any of the sprites and the ones in Hero: The Realm. If you would like please make a better comparison, or explain your point in further detail.

I've put a huge amount of effort into the graphics for this game, and I can say, they are all original sprites - even if the game was inspired by the Wonderboy series.

Squarefish said:

I haven't had a chance to test it with tv out. I half-expected it to work no problem.

What I am considering is buying a tv out cable, so probably will do that and make it tv-out compliant.

Can you please report what "dosent work" means for now? Thanks.
It basically shows 4 squares in each corner of the screen all mirrored and garbled. The dingoo and some caanoo emulators have this issue as well. I remember discussing with someone and I want to say that they said it had something to do with screen size and color depth when outputting to TV

it's very good, square. the sprites are great, and the i liked the clever level layout. my only suggestions would be that it would be nice if you could run, and if you could swing your sword upward to fight the flying enemies easier. great job.

Squarefish said:
Kojote said:

I just did some image searches for "Wonderboy In Monster Land" and to be honest I cannot see any huge similarities between any of the sprites and the ones in Hero: The Realm. If you would like please make a better comparison, or explain your point in further detail.

I've put a huge amount of effort into the graphics for this game, and I can say, they are all original sprites - even if the game was inspired by the Wonderboy series.

The sprites might be original, but there are even Snake sprites, which you see in the original game (yeah they were redone...). It seems you mostly were inspired by "Wonderboy in Wonderland" while having small influences from other Wonderboy parts. Maybe I am too picky with that, but when I had a look at the YouTube video I have seen nothing else than Wonderboy without any "own" content. You made so many levels and have put so much love into the game, so I simply don't understand why everything is so similar. If i look at the doors, I see Wonderboy. If I look at the red snake, I see Wonderboy, If...

Main character sprite "Wonderboy in Monster World" -> http://wiimedia.ign.com/wii/image/article/783/783923/wonder-boy-in-monster-world-virtual-console-20070426033959379_640w.jpg

will continue later... just got busy :) ...

Ok you are mostly correct with what you say, however, I don't know why you over-enthuse your point? The game has a different and original "look" and "feel" to Wonderboy games.

Please continue if you so wish.. I'd rather someone make these points early in the development :)

I personally am having fun with the game and I don't care what its influences are. The end product is a quality game ;) Thank you for your efforts

Geca, I no longer use that background in my game...

Please don't spam the thread, you should check the game first!

Hi,

The game looks really nice, and the controls seem very polished. A few comments. First thing i'm presented with is Press start. The Caanoo doesn't have a start button, so of course I pressed wrong and quit the game. Another thing is the use of the X button as "yes." This is very PS3, but the de-facto standard on GP2X consoles has been B for a very long time. You can even see this in the Caanoo's own menu. So I recommend using B as the "yes" button. I also found it strange that A was the sword button, instead of B, but you included an option for that, which is really the best thing to do. People can choose :)

Will there be any dialog in the game? Any story etc.? I noticed a few characters as which seemed very lively as I passed them, but they didn't say anything.

And now my girlfriend has taken the game and I didn't get it back. But that is probably the best indication that it is a good game :)

/Uni

Good points (from beta to demo):

- save game
- sounds when the hero slashes his sword

Points that could be improved for more fun :

- dialogs with people
- increase difficulty (too easy, maybe too many hearts given), a "perfect" can be done easily (but it's 1st stage, wait and see)

Even if the game just will cost just a few cents, some people are getting quite harsh here.
Please don´t let them bring you down squarefish. You created a nice gem here.

Squarefish said:
Ok you are mostly correct with what you say, however, I don't know why you over-enthuse your point? The game has a different and original "look" and "feel" to Wonderboy games.

Please continue if you so wish.. I'd rather someone make these points early in the development :)

You may consider modifying things slightly, to make it more outstanding from your main sources. Replace the main characters sword with a lance, etc... It's your game and people seem to love it already, but just give the game it's own character. I am pretty sure it will pay out more this way. It's just a suggestion, if you feel more comfortable with the way it actually is, it's acceptable as well. Good luck anyway :)

Back