Here's hoping for 2GB ram not 1GB....

It's Debian armhf, so it should have all the optimizations you'd want enabled. Using gentoo for "optimization" on the Pyra would be quite pointless.

there's more reasons the "optimization" for example debians dependency graph is so restrictive and proscriptive, you will likely get a load of junk you don't want or need (or probably assume are essential to open office (for example))

A custom build allows much greater flexibility...

I've yet to do it myself but with Gentoo it is possible to use your Desktop or other machines as a distributed cross compiler - in theory you could have multiple desktops compiling your custom arm build...

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course, the other reason I want Gentoo on the Pyra is because I'm used to how it works.

LibreOffice takes about 2 hours to compile on my MSI gaming laptop with 8 cores and 12 GB of RAM. I can't even imagine how long it would take on even a 1 GHz Pandora.
about three days, based on PtitSeb's builds :)
On the Devboard it takes like 30 seconds...

sudo apt-get install libreoffice
Yeah, I'll be useless with the Pyra... No special optim, no screen to small. (moslty) everything will just be plug'n play.

Yeah, I'll be useless with the Pyra... No special optim, no screen to small. (moslty) everything will just be plug'n play.

I still think you will be very helpful, for one not every game is on the repository, actually game wise it looks pretty sparse.  Also for some applications it seems that there isn't much optimizations as there could be for example DOSBOX on the Debian repository was horrible speed wise, it was much worse than Pandora speeds. Although Wally compiled his own version, since he has one of those IGEP OMAP5 devboards and his version that was much better... I could play Carmageddon at a playable speed, and that was without any hardware acceleration. 

There is also other things like Pyra optimized controls, dealing with the framebuffer, rotator chip, hardware scaling and such. My guess something like notaz's SDL will still need to be used.

That said, right now with the Pandora, you've been pushing the envelope of what games the OMAP3 can handle. The Pyra will just set the bar a bit farther what games can be played on a handheld ARM computer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back