Unbranded/cheap Ram? (1gb)

pubjoe

Website
Visit site
I hope some of you knowledgable chaps might help me...

I was wondering whether these sticks of 1GB unbranded PC3200 would be any good:

ebay link

I need to get some new ram and have heard that problems can be had with unbranded ram. Does this mean there is just a chance that I might get a dud or that it will always underperform?

Otherwise I was thinking of getting a pair of these kingston 512 sticks:

another ebay link

I want, if possible, to get the maximum amount as I have a soltek Qbic sff with only 2 ram slots. I would consider getting 2 of the unbranded 1GB sticks if you guys recommend them.

[EDIT]
The soltek website has this bit of information about the board:

>Supporting unregistered non-ECC DDR 333/266/200 DRAM up to 2GB.
>Supporting Dual-Channel.

Oh, it's an nForce2 IGP + MCP-T MB.

So because it's dual channel, should I make sure that I have a pair of sticks rather than just one?

Oh and also, on the website the ram is not listed in the compatability list - but then again, not a lot is except expensive stuff like Hyper-X etc, (hmmmm.... <_< ) but I've got an old stick of unbranded 2100 256MB in there at the moment and it works fine.

(bloody hell! 6 edits :unsure: ...I'm too tired!)

motherboards can be really picky at time so watch out my asus a7v333 wouldn't work until i got some crucial ram in it well the memtest program showed the ram as faulty but when ebuyer tested they claimed it wasn't faulty so who knows

My ECS didnt like This Unbranded stick that I got, but it liked a differnt Unbranded stick

You need two identical pieces of RAM to use dual channel. But the speed increase is only 1-2%, so it isn't something to worry about. Usually unbranded RAM will work dual channel (RAM companies try to make you think that you have to buy special RAM or dual channel won't work, but it isn't true).

And what processor do you have? If it only has 166MhZ FSB, then there is no point in getting PC3200 RAM (unless you are overclocking), you can get PC2700 and it'll work fine.

Thanks,

At the moment I do have only an athlon 1600XP, but I intend to upgrade this at some point and I don't want to be stuck with slower ram. Also, it's not a lot more expensive for the PC3200.

Back