Help Tincs Choose Its Art Direction!

Choose your favourite one (Make sure you read bellow before choosing!)

• Art Direction #1

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Art Direction #2

• Art Direction #3

• Art Direction #4

• Total voters

Seen too much of #2 in other games already.
I voted #4, Cartoon steampunk!

Eh, #2 should be pretty neat looking if they pull it off I suppose... On that tiny screen it can look real pretty.

I don't really know about the implementation details, but maybe basic cel-shading could be implemented regardless of which other art type is chosen? No? With some tinkering? Maybe not :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I just want to add: I think we can mix up the #2 and #3 toghether.
Think about it:
#3 is a "graphic" style.
#2 is also a "word", "environmental" style.
Have you seen the screenshots of the new Prince of Persia? They mixed up a cell-shading for the player while mantainig a "almost standard" (it's not too much cartooned) environment.

CODE
http://www.sfx-360.com/previews/images/prince-of-persia-600.jpg

CODE
http://www.videogamesblogger.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/prince-of-persia-4-screenshot-big.jpg

The final effect is really good (to me). What about a "noir" graphics for the characters in the "#2 world"?

I went with 4. I has the potential to really deliver something that little bit different without veering too far away from the norm.

2 while good, has been done to death.

1 & 3 both have serious potential but I fear that all those that want a 2 style would not give them the consideration they deserve.

I voted for #4, it looks like a fun and colourful design, with crazy weapons and characters to match. All the other styles except #3 have been done to death from what I see, so that would have been my second choice.

As Poisonedv said, almost every FPS out there has a dark and sombre theme, step away from that cliche if you can!

'Alex.' said:
As Poisonedv said, almost every FPS out there has a dark and sombre theme, step away from that cliche if you can!
As a side note: almost every FPS has that graphics since it "just works", while being "easy" for a story to be built with that atmosphere. But there's always a lot to do even with that cliche if you have still some original ideas :)

'Alex.' said:
I voted for #4, it looks like a fun and colourful design, with crazy weapons and characters to match. All the other styles except #3 have been done to death from what I see, so that would have been my second choice.

Ok , lets screw this poll and go for #4?

Anyway I voted when only 1 and 2 were up, so plz change my vote to #4

-1 for #2 and +1 for #4

^^ I can't change anything. But if it's a stalemate between 2 and 4, then we can tip your vote over.

'kattle87' said:
'Alex.' said:
As a side note: almost every FPS has that graphics since it "just works", while being "easy" for a story to be built with that atmosphere. But there's always a lot to do even with that cliche if you have still some original ideas :)

The problem to me, is multi faceted. First of all, with such little saturation and such a limited pallette of colors, it's going to be hard to make out on a small screen, especially if the action is fast paced. Second, theres no attraction- surely there are going to be other shooters ported that already have the grim grey gritty theme, since thats what most have, so there would be less uniquneess in the concept and people would just play other more established games.

Whatever is chose, please don't make it look like every other shooter out there. World of Padman and Warsaw ar good examples of breaking from the general blandness.

'Butterman' said:
Really?

I'm almost in love with everything about TF2. It's one of the best multiplayer FPS I've ever played.
Yeah, I don't know what it is but I just never took to it. I don't care for the way it looks but I could just never get into it and I did try. I love cod 4 and 5 online and left 4 dead and so on but team fortress just left me cold.

Btw:

Whatever style is chosen: It doesnt care alot. People are able to make their own maps and use their own textures. So you actually can make a very happy lvl with happy rabbits hopping arounds, happy deers eating grass etc.

So whatever style will be chosen wont depend much (unless we chose style 3)

'PoisonedV' said:
The problem to me, is multi faceted. First of all, with such little saturation and such a limited pallette of colors, it's going to be hard to make out on a small screen, especially if the action is fast paced. Second, theres no attraction- surely there are going to be other shooters ported that already have the grim grey gritty theme, since thats what most have, so there would be less uniquneess in the concept and people would just play other more established games.
You are probably right about the fact that there will be no attraction. This is the main reason I voted #3 instead of #2! I just wanted to point out the fact that some "hardcore" gamers just keep playing various FPSes with minimall differences between them. And this is confirmed by this pool :/
For what concerns the color palette, well, it's all based on what kind of FPS you are looking for: if you want a fast-paced action FPS like Team Fortress or Counter-Strike, having a desaturated cell shading will be the worst thing in the world.
If you want something more "collaborative" (EG: the 2 teams are figthing for some kind of domination/trophy) then the colours might be an important aspect of the gameplay: EG: think about a king-of-the-hill gameplay: the highly saturated colors will be used for the strategic checkpoints/chokepoints, so the defending players will be seen from the distance, while the attackers will be seen only in some specific places (when they are near, when they are coming from a street, and so on). More: the difenders themselves will be able to make an ambush to the attackers.

I like #2 and 3 the best. I hate the cartoony graphics in TF2 and I hate TF2 in general but that is because I loved TFC and hated how they stripped away all the depth of the game.

'Kekerot' said:
I like #2 and 3 the best. I hate the cartoony graphics in TF2 and I hate TF2 in general but that is because I loved TFC and hated how they stripped away all the depth of the game.
let go. theres obvious depth, but most tfc players seem to stubborn to spend a few hours looking for it

Theres do depth to TF2?! HAHAHa

it looks like #2 is winning. you all seem to be worried about viewing levels on the small screen and stuff, don't, we're going to be able to balance it all out fine.

I'd actually also like to switch my vote from #2 to #3.

It might make sense to wait on actually doing the poll until the community discusses it. I made my choice after only reading the OP, but reconsidered some after reading the discussion posted.

'PoisonedV' said:
'Kekerot' said:
let go. theres obvious depth, but most tfc players seem to stubborn to spend a few hours looking for it

Sorry but going from this

CODE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRrjh8yp5yE

to this is, is sad :rolleyes:

CODE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acRVjy2_SVY

Back