Help Tincs Choose Its Art Direction!

Choose your favourite one (Make sure you read bellow before choosing!)

• Art Direction #1

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Art Direction #2

• Art Direction #3

• Art Direction #4

• Total voters

Butterman

Gief Pandara
Website
Visit site
Voting is now over

We're accepting backstory pitches and name ideas now

If you want to make a backstory pitch, read these guidelines
CODE

http://tincs.jottit.com/backstory_guidelines

Then read here, for information on hosting your pitch on the Jottit site.

CODE
http://tincs.jottit.com/backstory

Similarly, name ideas can be posted up on the Jottit, or in this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hard choise, both 1 and 2 are great

I vote for 2.

Btw butterman, you missed something at 2, Muzz told on tincs.jottit.com , that he wanted to create a 'used' feeling. With almost everything in a bad state.

Here is the whole concept idea:

In this proposed art style it is in the close future, society is decrepit, and there is a constant battle going on between revolutionaries and men who think there is still a country to fight for even after the disillusionment of the govt. The country is to remain unnamed and nondescript. People can now receive robotic body augmentation to increase attributes in certain areas, but these augmentations are not so much of an improvement as a reallocation of skill, turning a multipurpose thing like a hand into a much more defined and single dimensional tool.

The texturing of the art style is to reflect as much realism as we can, with heavy emphasis on creating a believable world. Most things in the world are dirty, broken or just old, with that including some weapons and the buildings.

Walking around the levels there would be damaged and abandoned cars scattered around, with petrol becoming too much or a rare commodity for everyday transport. I realy want to focus on making the world feel Used and destroyed but not abandoned.

Overall the art style that i want to go for isn't that rare, but uniqueness in a fps game usually leads to alienating the fanboys of the genre, and without those fanboys who the fuck is going to make this game a hit!

Full here: http://tincs.jottit.com/muzzes_concept_page

Mith, i wrote out that pitch personally, everything i wanted in there is what i wanted.

That page was earlier ideas. But your right it does need a used look, but it was an evolving idea, so that page isnt the final.

Though could you please edit your post and not post that huge hunk of text? You could have just linked it.

Thanks for the input though :).

I would like to see something more with the 3 choice: recently I've been playing Left 4 Dead alot and I can tell you that filmic effects are somewhat great. Post-processing / high contrast do create somewhat an atmosphere. Will we be able to get some of those effects (EG: vignetting, film grain, and so on) without killing our Panda's SGx? If yes, then a mix between style 2 and 3 might be a really good alternative to a TF2 style

Ergh. I hate the film gran on Left4Dead. I turned that crap off so fast. But yes, they're all easily possible.

Voting ends at 00:00 GMT. That's about 9 hours from now!

I like the mafia idea the best so far, though the near future one has it's merits

it's a tough choice overall

I voted #1 but #4 was a not so distant second, because I'm sick and tired of grimgrey fps's

#3!! Like #2, but might be difficult to implement?

Off topic but, is that Tintin in #3, Butterman?

I vote #1. #3 looks like it could be a very interesting art style as well, so pulls in a second.
I didn't vote #2: that's been done to death by... pretty much everything.

Goodlawd, 2 may be difficult to implement, but i intend on trying to push as much graphical quality out of the panda as possible. And its not like we don't have the skills to pull it off (I drew that stuff, and i am an experienced modeler and texturer).

(but the cell shading one imo would be harder, not because of technical limits, but because it is difficult to lead the eye around the screen properly with nothing but hard shapes.

Thanks for the prompt responses so far guys.

'GoodLawd' said:
#3!! Like #2, but might be difficult to implement?

Off topic but, is that Tintin in #3, Butterman?
Ja. But I didn't write up the style and chose the pictures. I'm not telling who did either until it's all over.

I hate the cartoony look of team fortress but I'm thinking maybe that sort of vivid contrast in colours is what's needed on a small screen, "dark and moody" is just going to be "squinty".
Kids drawings would make a nice style, they could shoot paint or throw sweets at each other or something.
From the four I think I like the cell shading idea the best.

'clippa' said:
I hate the cartoony look of team fortress but I'm thinking maybe that sort of vivid contrast in colours is what's needed on a small screen, "dark and moody" is just going to be "squinty".
Kids drawings would make a nice style, they could shoot paint or throw sweets at each other or something.
From the four I think I like the cell shading idea the best.
Really?

I'm almost in love with everything about TF2. It's one of the best multiplayer FPS I've ever played.

Off topic, but there's a suggestion for the idea #2:
the game might take place in several cities. If this will be the case, don't give them strange/stupid names: avoid giving ANY name at all :) Here in Italy we have a nice comics in which the cities are called something like: "The Nameless City", "The Big Metropolis", "The Forgotten Town", "The City Without Heroes" and so on. It might be nice to do the same here. ;)

Style Number 2 won? :( But this looks like nearly every other Shooter (Minus TF2). Well, I hope the audience voted for the Style itself and not only for the quality of the example-Pictures. ;)

#2 is currently leading but I don't see anything particularly original there. If you go with #3 I think you have a real chance of making something very individual and intriguing. A game's original art style is the next big thing, titles like Bioshock, Jet Set Radio, Okami, Rez, Wipeout etc have all found something distinct to say with their aesthetic. I reckon that's what you should go for.

I'd go for #1 as a fallback, that could also be nice. I think #2 and #4 are most predictable.

®

'fusion_power' said:
Style Number 2 won? :( But this looks like nearly every other Shooter (Minus TF2). Well, I hope the audience voted for the Style itself and not only for the quality of the example-Pictures. ;)
i agree.half life 2, fear, cod:wow, killzone 2, etc. its not every day an FPS is made where they decide to use a pallette other than grayscale and unsaturated browns, blues, and greens

Back