Help Finty Build A Pc

finty

what is this
Website
Visit site
Ok, first ever build, I'm just going to post here when I have a dumbass question (as per usual, I hear some of you say).

Is this ok for a CPU?

I want to play games, HL2, Halo and eventually Halo2, would that CPU be good for that?

I'm also torn between a 6600gt and a 6800. Is there much differance?

Should be fine, I have one in my current build and it plays Doom3 better then my XP2100+ with the same components.

I go for the 6600GT since I have no need to run games at stupid high resolutions of 1280+.. make sure you get the right card for your mother board (AGP or PCI-E)

YEah the CPU will be fine in fact it's probably better than what you need to get, i have an

AMD Athlon XP 2400+
1024MB RAM
Nvidia GeForce 5700 LE
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

and i can run HL2 max settings and 1024x768 because the crosshair gets too small on the hiher res, Halo almost high but resolution can only be 1024x768 on single player and 800x600 (Gearbox ported the game shitty and made it almost incompadable with every graphics card and runs really laggy unless you have a great graphics card which the 6600GT will do)

There is little difference between the 6600GT and 6800 other than the refresh rates of the resolutions and the memory it has. so it;s really a matter of preference whether you want to save money or you want to save refresh rate.

i have a
a64 3500+
a 6600gt
1gb ram
at a nforce4-sli board (a8n-sli)

and i can run hl2 with evrything on max at 1024*768 with 8*aa and 16*af

i have a
a64 3500+
a 6600gt
1gb ram
at a nforce4-sli board (a8n-sli)

and i can run hl2 with evrything on max at 1024*768 with 8*aa and 16*af

but the point i was trying to make is that you don;t need a top of the line computer... sure it'd be nice but you don't need it right away.

Last edited by a moderator:
sure, hl2 runs fine on lowest settings at my 1500 duron with gf4mx, the engine is very scaleable and runs fine even on lowest end machines, and still looks good

I'm thinking:
3000+ AMD64
6600gt
1gig RAM

I don't know which mother board or sound card to get though.

Can anyone reccomend one?

I have a similar computer, except with the 6800GT. I did this so that, in two years' time, I will still be able to play games at a decent speed without having to upgrade. GF5xxx cards can run the latest games stupidly fast, so 6xxx is indeed overkill, but if you're going to be excessive, be excessive :)

For motherboard, I suggest the nForce2. I use the A7N8X which is fairly stable, no problems so far, although sound is not documented well. At first there is no obvious way to get 5.1 sound working. After upgrading your mobo drivers, though, the option is selectable. You just need to check a few boxes and plug rear/center/subwoofer into your line-in and microphone ports (the A7N8X has two of each of the main sound ports, anyway).

I might go for a 6800gt, this will be my computer for the next 5 years, so I want it to last damn it.

Yeah, I saw the nForce2 and thought that was good, but I couldn't find a version with PCI-Express.

get nforce4, best chipset availible for 939.

about the gfx card, i just put a second 6600gt in when i dont have enugh power anymore .-)

GF5xxx cards can run the latest games stupidly fast, so 6xxx is indeed overkill, but if you're going to be excessive, be excessive :)
Oh I totally agree here, I have a 5600 Ultra and I can run Halo very well with high settings, even on a 750Mhz Duron and 312MB of ram.

If you decide to get rid of the 5600 when you get your new beast finty, let me know :)
I sure will.

Nilsiboy: for graphics card, CPU, RAM and Mobo I'm looking at £500, I see the price ending up at about £650. For all this stuff in an Alienware would cost me the price of a house. So no, then.

If you get the new nforce4 chipset, look out for Asus SLI compatiable board.. that way you can later get a second 6600GT and double your graphics power.

wow i wish i had that much money,,maybe my chef will give me a pay rise to £50 per hour for making salads,,, dammmm BT just moved my broadband activation date to mid march from 31st january :angry: it was so close

dont forget that when you get a non 6XXXX card you will not have real dx9, you will miss much of the effekts used by newer games.
6600gt is realy the best choice at the moment, dont mess arround with lower stuff :)

and a8n-sli is a REALY nice board, i love it. :)

Back