Where to buy a good PC gamepad for retro games (arcada and 16 bit consoles)

asimov-solensan

Very Active Member
Hello,

I'm tired of searching this in several physical shops and even in online shops is hard to find.

The controller I want to buy must fit this characteristics:

1*It must have six face buttons (a la megadrive/saturn)

2*It must not have analog sticks or triggers (they always give problems when configuing emulators)

3*Preferably compact although genesis size is OK

4*Must work without propietary drivers (I want to use it in pandora as well as PC)

5*Must have USB connection, I don't want to carry any converter.

6*Shop must ship to spain better if it's within EU.

7*It would be nice if they came in a pack of two.

And that's it, I would like to hear where to buy this kind of controller and better if that person has tested the model. I have seen this kind of cotrollers on ebay but I have doubts about their build quality.

Thanks a lot for the help.

Logitech Wingman Precision Gamepad perhaps?

It's a USB.

i like Logitech gamepads.

Last edited:
Six face buttons are hard to find.. But I did find on a quick search..

Some Cons.. It doesn't have a Start-Select button.. but I suppose it can be mapped to a trigger button..

Well. I can't tell you if it works without proprietary drivers for sure.. my guess they will work..

Image Below:

81Zgvw-iQ7L._SL1500_.jpg
http://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-TWELVE-BUTTON-GAME-CONTROLLER-USB-GAMEPAD/dp/B00AEWTSWU/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1376236305&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=USB+GamePad+STK

Also found:

Saitek-P2600-Rumble-Game-Controller

Image Below:

41Wt%2BaEStcL.jpg
http://www.amazon.com/Saitek-P2600-Rumble-Game-Controller/dp/B000AL7034/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376236820&sr=8-1&keywords=Saitek+P990+Dual+Analog+Game+Pad

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the suggestions but NO analogs is a must. They always give me problems in emulators.

That one from logitech seems quite good but six face buttons is mandatory (mainly for capcom fighting games)

PS

I also like logitech, my gamepad of choice for modern games is a xbox like gamepad from that maker.

I've a Saturn controller & it's the only thing I use for emulation.. can't be beat imho, mine is an official Sega which I've had for years & is still going strong.

I've done a quick search & there's plenty of Saturn style pads in the usual places Amazon/Ebay etc, can't seem to find any of the official Sega's though (perhaps you'll have better luck) if you do manage to track one down, I'd snap it up if I were you.

Sounds like the Madcatz fightpads. To be honest, build quality's not great but they are cheap, and they seem to have released new versions to tie in with SFvTK with bigger buttons and a more defined d-pad.

As far as I know the wired controllers are compatible with the PC, so would something like this may suit.

Microsoft Sidewinder is a real good one. I own one and it works fine. Fine for fighters too.

Last edited:
Sounds like the Madcatz fightpads. To be honest, build quality's not great but they are cheap, and they seem to have released new versions to tie in with SFvTK with bigger buttons and a more defined d-pad.

As far as I know the wired controllers are compatible with the PC, so would something like this may suit.
The PS3 one will need a PS->USB connector to be purchased (if not already in possession of one), whereas the XBox360 ones come with a USB connector; at least my SFIV pad did.

That said, I preferred the older MadCatz fightpads, and whilst I actually broke my PS Akuma fightpad, I preferred it to the newer Xbox360 Bison one I got. The changes in dpad/button sizes and positions actually made the new one less comfortable for me to hold. That's a personal thing though

That's exactly what I'm looking for, something like the saturn pad, but it seems that the only maker is this retrolink and their quality is awful from people comments.

I will remark that I want to avoid adapters at any cost, I have got a PS1/2 to USB adapter and panmame doesn't recognizes it, and this is going to be one of the main uses.

The madcatz fightpad looks quite good but will it work on the pandora? By the way it has got analog triggers like the xbox controller?

PS

I have got two saturn controllers but I'm not planning to use them, I want to sell them with the console and a few games.

Hmm, the new fightpads seem a bit marmite. I've seen one review on Amazon agreeing with you, pmprog, while another two say the buttons are much better on this version, so it's level pegging at the moment (although I'd trust your word over random Amazon users, of course).

Might pick one up to try out, for the money. Although I guess I should try my Madcat Fightstick (i.e. arcade pad) on Pandora first to check it out.

6-way Saturn Bomberman, I hope!

Looks a bit analoguey for this thread, mind you.
I really like the D-Pad (better than Pandoras if you ask me) and regarding Soul Reaver 2 and N64, I am quite happy, that it has analogue as a bonus.

Emulator problems like the ones with Kawaks, where the analogue stick can be mapped but the d-pad (coolie hat) cannot,

are not existent here, because you can switch the mapping between left analogue stick and d-pad driverwise (if you got the needed OS) with one of the buttons in the middle.

Street Fighter is a blast with this one.

Don't know about this one but I had an old saitek (with gamepad port plug) and it was the best thing I have ever owned for fighting games. The dpad was a single piece with mouse like buttons beneath (you know that clicki small switches) quite similar to the neo geo pocket. The response was terrific and of course it had six face buttons

I would love to buy the same one with USB.

Back