Hello, Newbie Question here.

Billyy

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
Hello, I am planning on becoming a very active member of the GP32 community very soon. (i.e. Once i get the money to order an FLU..) And I was wondering if any of the SNES Final Fantasy games run on any of the SNES emu's on the GP32 at a playable speed. PS. I don't really care about sound, I usually listen to my CD Player when I play games anyway. And also, I am mainly asking about FF4.
Thank You, and I look forward to talking with you all in the future.
Billyy

Well i haven't tried them yet (i haven't got my gp32 yet...)
but i gues they ran fine without sound at frame skip 3-4. Wait until the next release of the snes emulator it will be a lot faster :)

One's definition of "playable speed" may be different from the next. Currently, I'd say 100% on something like frameskip 4 or 5, which is jumpy at best. It may be playable until you get the airship, which will probably skip around the world (since the emulator has a problem with Mode7). I wouldn't buy something just because something might be developed for it. I just don't want you to make the purchase and regret it.

But if you're a Final Fantasy fan, you're in luck - Final Fantasy 3j for the NES at full speed with sound (precessor to FF5), and the remakes of FF1 and FF2j, what you receive with Final Fantasy Origins, are yours at full speed without sound on the Wonderswan Colour emulator. All of them have translations (except FF1 which is partial, but the same story).

Additionally for Squaresoft fans, we have Final Fantasy Adventure (Final Fantasy Gaiden: Seiken Densetsu) and the Final Fantasy Legend trilogy (Saga 1-3) available at full speed with sound on the Gameboy / Gameboy Colour emulator.

There's also a load of other RPGs available. Be sure to check out the DW1&2 and DW3 remakes on GBC, as well as DW4 on NES.

As much as SNES9xGP may tilt the scale for many a potentional GP32 user, don't make it the crux of your decision.

Meonlyeviler posted on Aug 11 2003 said:
final fantasy adventure is the best game in the world
You better take that back. Combine Zelda with FF1 and what do you get? Not a very good combination I will tell you that much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all, especially generalnmx. And don't worry I am not getting a GP32 just for one game, also, I own FF1,FF2j,FF3j,FF Adventure, Legends 1-3, and DW 1&2. But thanks for the recommendations anyway. :)

Edit: generalnmx, do all of the games you listed allow save game support on their respective emulators?

generalnmx posted on Aug 11 2003 said:
Additionally for Squaresoft fans, we have Final Fantasy Adventure (Final Fantasy Gaiden: Seiken Densetsu) and the Final Fantasy Legend trilogy (Saga 1-3) available at full speed with sound on the Gameboy / Gameboy Colour emulator.
Well, one small problem: The Final Fantasy Legend trilogy is not by Squaresoft. They are fake FF games made by Sunsoft.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think the Wonderswan emu has save support. The nes and snes do. Nes is perfect. Snes is getting there. FF2 runs at full speed with no sound at frame skip 3-4. Intellecto said that he wants to increase speed by 2x before he releases his next version, so FF2 will probably then run at full speed no sound 0-1 frameskip.

Wow, I did not expect to get this many replies. :)
I am very suprised that the GP32 community is filled with such nice, understanding people, thank you all for making my day a little better. (I had a really crappy day today, though I don't think anyone cares.)

Rigor Mortis posted on Aug 11 2003 said:
Well, one small problem: The Final Fantasy Legend trilogy is not by Squaresoft. They are fake FF games made by Sunsoft.
Errm, no.
They are INDEED games by Squaresoft (I have the original old boxes and cartridges at home), but SunSoft bought the rights to re-release the games.

But they aren't fake and they are developed by Squaresoft.

But they don't have anything to do with the Final Fantasy line - the original names (Saga 1, 2 and 3) give you the clue: They are part of the Romancing Saga (and similar in gameplay)

But, hey, the Final Fantasy Adventure doesn't have anything to do with Final Fantasy either - it is the predecessor of Secret of Mana for the SNES.

FFA = Seiken Densetsu
Secret of Mana = Seiken Densetsu 2
unreleased in the US = Seiken Densetsu 3
Legend of Mana = Seiken Densetsu 4

The only problem I see: I couldn't get Final Fantasy Legend 1 or 2 to run on GPVGB, only FFL3... did anyone manage to do this?

Last edited:
Back